Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenpen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 12:23 AM
    Can I claim babysitting/odd jobs money to get refund?
    Hi! I did not officially work a "real" job this year. I earned about $4000 this year by babysitting, running errands... things like that. Can I use "household employee earnings" category for earned income when filing my taxes. If I can then I can claim my daughter in order to get child tax credits... Is this OK? There are no W2's involved or anyone putting me on their payroll. Thanks in advance! :)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 07:35 AM

If you claim this income on your taxes, you will be liable to pay social security taxes on your earnings. Also, if any of your "cients" paid you more than $50/quarter, they are liable for paying SS as well. So you raise an issue that may cause you (and your clients) a lot of grief!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 09:45 AM
    If Jenpen cared for the children in her house or apartment, then the $50/quarter rule for FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes would not apply, as she would be considered an independent contractor.

She would have to file Schedules C and SE with a Form 1040, but no income tax would be due to the income level, and the self-employment tax will definitely be offset by the Child Tax Credit and the Earned Income Credit she would receive.

However, if she is on ANY type of public assistance or welfare, those payments may be reduced as a result of her filing this return.

If she is willing to take that chance, or if she has more details to add, she can post them or email them to me at [email protected].
    jenpen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2010, 03:52 PM

Thanks for your help ATE! Yes, I do get medi-cal for insurance ( I really hope something is done about private insurance groups, because of pre-existing conditions they want $725 per month!! Crazy!) I'm still considered "under the poverty" line, so I don't think that it will change? I was using "Free Tax Usa" online to file, not sure if I can do the Schedule C and SE, but I will check. Thanks again :)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 05:29 PM
    Jenpen:

If they will NOT do the Schedules C and SE, drop me an email at [email protected] and I should be able to give you a hand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Babysitting jobs [ 2 Answers ]

What s a good way to get a baby sitting job? I would like you two right me an ad or tell me what is good information to include in my babysitting ad?

Babysitting and other jobs [ 10 Answers ]

How would you make an ad for babysitting, animal caring , car washing,l house and pet sitting and gardening If you need a person for one of these jobs contact me:) at

Getting babysitting jobs is hard need answers [ 4 Answers ]

Everyone always tells me to get babysitting jobs through networking you know, my mom tell her friends about me etc. OK the only promblem is my mom doesn't know anyone with kids that need to be babysat. So I need to know how to get jobs, I want to be safe, but I also want to earn some cash. I'll...

Do I claim babysitting money for taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a stay-at-home dad. I babysit another child at his home 25 hours a week, making $250 per week. The family is from Israel. My wife and I want to do taxes, but they haven't done their paperwork to claim they have a "nanny" working for them. Do I claim my earnings or not? I never filled out...

Babysitting money info [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 13 and don't know how much to charge too babysit I have babysit before and got 5$ an hour I have babysat 1 time and otherwise its been in my familiano!:rolleyes:

View more questions Search