Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manchu_toxic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 09:18 PM
    Types of timber defects
    Help me classified the timber defects in modern houses.. ;)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 04:51 AM
    Here's a list from the Pennsylvania Code that gives you a good start:

Quote Originally Posted by pa code
    (1) A knot which is a portion of a branch and which has become incorporated in the body of a tree. All provisions of this chapter relating to the presence of knots apply only to the surface of the piece on which the knot appears, and all such provisions limiting the size of knots apply to the mean or average diameter as measured on the surface.

(2) Cross-grained wood in which the fibres are not parallel with the axis or longitudinal edge of the piece. It is expressed in this chapter as the slope of the grain with respect to the edges of the piece. For instance, one in 12 means that in a distance of 12 inches the grain deviates one inch from the edge. The presence in any surface of local discontinuity of grain or local deviations in the straightness of grain because of knots permitted in the piece shall be disregarded in applying the provisions of this chapter.

(3) A shake which is a separation along the grain, the greater part of which occurs between the rings of annual growth.

(4) A check which is a separation along the grain, the greater part of which occurs across the rings of annual growth.

(5) A pitch pocket which is an opening between the grain of the wood, containing more or less pitch or bark.

(6) Decay which is the destruction of the wood substance due to the action of wood destroying fungi.

(7) A cross-break which is a separation of the wood cells across the grain of the wood.

(8) A compression failure which is a deformation of the fibres due to excessive compression along the grain. This deformation takes the form of a buckling of the fibres.

(9) Compression wood, or proudwood, which is an abnormal growth occurring in conifers (softwood) and is characterized by relatively wide annual rings, usually eccentric and a comparatively large proportion of summerwood, usually 50% or more, which merges into the springwood without exhibiting a marked contrast in color.
    JOLISA ANDRESON Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 02:06 PM
    Yo I don't know that'swhy I'm asking you and that's why I'm asking you fools but instead you are asking me don't put up websites so
    shanaboo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 02:51 PM
    What are types of defects in timber.
    shanaboo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 02:52 PM

What are types of defects in timber
    noelee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2011, 01:10 PM
    A defect in timber is any irregularity appearing in or on the timber that may reduce its strength or durability if used for construction work. It may occur in the timber during fending or seasoning. Defect may be classified as natural or artificial depending upon their nature or fall.
    JTHkhg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2011, 10:45 AM
    Cupped,shaked and wane.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Timber defects [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know about various defects of timber urgently... I have my exam tomorrow :(

Timber [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to get some information on the defects and diseases in timber, and attacks by wood-boring insects

Timber defects [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing 1st year architecture and it seems like right now I'm pretty much stuck.so somebody please try help me out.This is my topic,'TIMBER DEFECTS, PEST & DISEASES COMMON & THEIR TREATMENT & AVOIDENCE. :(

Title defects [ 2 Answers ]

I'll try to be brief with my question. We bought a house in 2002 & decided to put it up for sale in March of this year. We found a buyer in August & had a closing date of August 30th. 1 week prior to closing, we were notified that an error was made with the deed to our land. Our home was...

Timber defects [ 3 Answers ]

Please HELP SOMEONE IM STUCK!?

View more questions Search