Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Play32516 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2010, 04:03 PM
    Will salt help with frozen drains
    Earlier this week due to cold frigid weather, my pipes froze and busted. My toilets will not flush and there is no water in the tanks. What can I do?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 04:06 PM

Whatt can you do? You need to replace all the broken pipes with new pipes.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 9, 2010, 04:22 PM

Since you are asking this question I'd have to say you should call a plumber and pull a permit. In the mean time gets some buckets and cut your main a few feet after the main shut off, use this cut point as a temporary tap to fill the buckets. After toilet use dump 2 gallons of water into the toilet or the tank. Either will allow you to flush
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2010, 04:52 PM

Which is why in my over ready nature I keep a back up camping toilet in my home.

But a heater in the area of the pipes to thaw them out.

And your toliets will flush if you get water from somewhere else and carry it into the house.

All of the broken pipe will have to be replaced

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen drains [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, my drains for my bathtub and toilet are frozen and I'm trying to thaw them out with heat but its not working. Is there something I can pour down the drain to unfeeze it? Thank you!

Is the no salt substitue for salt dangerous [ 3 Answers ]

My 80 year old grandpaw was told to cut down on his salt intake. We bought the no-salt substitute because he would not cut down on the amount of salt he used. His taste buds are not working correctly because he can not tell the difference. If you have ever tried it you knoe what I mean. Anyway,...

Frozen drains in mobile home [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a mobile home and when it got to be 45 below zero (in wisconsin), my water froze. But then that unthawed, but when I took a shower the water went down the drain, and went in to my bathtub and toilet. I have had standing water in my tub for about 3 weeks and have had to stay with...

Drains smell from all drains in house - specifically kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me before I call in the professionals, as I like to try and deal with things myself. I've just moved into a new house and it has some bad drain smells. Primarily, but not exclusively these are emanating from the kitchen. They don't smell...

Salt pellet damage to car from salt truck [ 2 Answers ]

Re: Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT). My car was pelted by salt pellets being sprayed on the Kennedy Expy. Near Chicago. The pavement was totally dry thus causing the pellets to fly into my car which was traveling at 55 mph, damaging the hood and fenders extensively to the tune of over...

View more questions Search