Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jross Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2009, 02:41 PM
    Rheem criterion ii troubleshooting
    I have a Rheem Criterion II gas furnace, that quit working. I checked it out, and found that the ignighter would come on, the gas would start, and then it would shut off. Figured it was the flame sensor. Before I could sand or replace it, it quit even doing that.

I didn't get voltage off the transformer, so I replaced that, and the flame sensor. Now, all I get is the right most green light on the controller board. The middle green light and the amber light don't light.

Does this mean a new controller board?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2009, 06:08 PM

Check the thermostat wire connections at the furnace - perhaps one or more broke off while replacing the transformer. If not, try removing the thermostat & connecting the "R" & "W" wires together. If the unit starts/runs, the problem is the thermostat.

Dec 30, 2009, 06:43 PM

Tried connecting the "r" & "w" wires together, and still nothing. Next?
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2009, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Check the thermostat wire connections at the furnace - perhaps one or more broke off while replacing the transformer.
    Did you check this too?

Dec 30, 2009, 08:56 PM

Yes. Wires good.
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2009, 09:11 PM

Look for a label, usually inside the blower area, with a list of codes & instructions. See if there are any useful hints or suggestions regarding the status light(s).

Dec 30, 2009, 09:27 PM

Nothing but a wiring diagram. Looked for the status light key first. :-)
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2009, 09:35 PM

If you can provide the complete model #, I may be able to come up with something.

Dec 30, 2009, 09:53 PM

RGDG10EBRJR, Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2009, 09:59 PM

Peek here: Main Furnace Control Circuit Board Used in (Rheem, Ruud, Robertshaw): Best Buy Heating and Air Conditioning Does this look like your circuit board? Do you have a voltmeter?

Dec 30, 2009, 10:10 PM

Looks kind of like it. I really didn't pay that much attention to the board, as I only had the cover off the case for a minute or so. Yes, I have a multi-meter.

Dec 30, 2009, 10:15 PM

Looks kind of like it. I didn't pay all that much attention to it, as I only had the case open for a minute or so.

I do have a multi-meter.

Jan 6, 2010, 08:03 AM

You were going to give me a few things to check? I could use the help, it is 0 degrees here...
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2010, 03:26 PM

Sorry man, I've been overwhelmed at work, long days...
    The basic first step: Turn off power, then remove the "R" & "W" wires from the furnace & install a jumper from "R" to "W". Replace panels & restore power. Does the unit run? If so, the problem lies in the thermostat or wiring.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 03:29 PM
    I figured you would be busy.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 04:30 PM

Try jumping r and w at control board in furnace as KC13 suggested. Let us know what happens. I really think both green lights should be on at all times when furnace is working correctly(wether there is a call for heat or not) If furnace is not working correctly, one of the green lights should be on steady and the other green lite should be blinking out a code. If one of the green lights just never comes on at all, I'm betting you are in need of a new control board. Don't worry about the orange light for now, as it is strictly a light to show condition of flame senser and will only glow when burners are lit.

Jan 6, 2010, 10:10 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help...

Tried it, and the exhaust fan started for a second and that's it.

Jan 8, 2010, 07:56 AM
    Ok, I replaced the board and it acts like a furnace again. However, only the two right burner tubes light up, the fire never makes it to the 2 left tubes. Since it never gets there, it doesn't heat up the flame sensor and it goes out.

What do I do next?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 01:36 PM
    Clean the orifices and tubes carefully for the two burner tubes that do not light. DO NOT operate the system in this condition raw unburnt gas is possible being delivered into the combustion chamber and can go BOOM. Also clean the flame jumpers on all the burners.
    Attached Images

Jan 8, 2010, 09:12 PM

It was the flame jumpers. I found a reference on another site, cleaned them all well, and it now works fine. Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Criterion II Rheem LED signal [ 3 Answers ]

I do not have an operations manual nor can I find one online that will tell me what it means when my Criterion II heater has a LED light that flashes 4 times and will not kick on. I can get the heater to come on by jiggling wires, but once it goes off again, it will not come back on. The heater is...

Rheem Criterion 2 [ 2 Answers ]

My friend has just moved into a house that was previously abandoned. His furnace is a Rheem Criterion 2 brand/model. We can't tell where the furnace filter should go or what size it is. Can anyone help me out?

Furnace rheem criterion [ 1 Answers ]

Furnace blower fan and the pre blower fan come on at same time. And the ignitor won't light. Have to turn off power switch to stop both fans. I changed upper limit swith but still won't work. When it was working it was going great, returned and blower was running only but no heat. Thermostat...

Do you know the rheem criterion 2 (RDGD 05MAUER) [ 4 Answers ]

Anyone know the rheem criterion 2 (RDGD 05MAUER) , if so could you see my post with pictures on here https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heating-air-conditioning/heater-fine-daytime-stops-night-159346-new.html I can't figure this out, all the details there if u browse over the posts and reply...

Rheem criterion furnace [ 3 Answers ]

My air went out yesterday and I don't what to do... the motor outside is not working but the inhouse fan is work air is coming out of the vent but it is not cool. This happened in the winter and we had the heat ignaitor replace... help?? it 98 degree today

View more questions Search