Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kelly baldwin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2010, 01:03 AM
    How to file a motion to set aside judgement/ca.
    I am being evicted and did not receive the court hearing date and therefore did not show. I need to know how to file a motion to set aside judgement in a California court? Can you please help?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2010, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly baldwin View Post
    i am being evicted and did not recieve the court hearing date and therefore did not show. i need to know how to file a motion to set aside judgement in a california court? can you please help?
    You would file a motion to dismiss based upon improper service.

The plaintiff has to have proof that you were served, or the courts will not let the case continue because it doesn't give the defendant a chance to argue their side.

What were you being evicted for?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2010, 08:16 AM

Hello k:

Go to the courthouse and speak with the clerk. In small claims, it should be a simple matter of filing your motion.

If not, write a letter to the court asking the judge to set aside the judgment for the reasons you mentioned, and ask the judge to consider your letter to be a motion. Send your letter certified, return receipt requested, and send a copy to the plaintiff.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 5, 2010, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello k:

Go to the courthouse and speak with the clerk. In small claims, it should be a simple matter of filing your motion.

If not, write a letter to the court asking the judge to set aside the judgment for the reasons you mentioned, and ask the judge to consider your letter to be a motion. Send your letter certified, return receipt requested, and send a copy to the plaintiff.

excon
    It also would be good to
    1) look at the court file and see what the proof of service says (For example, it might say that it was mailed by certified mail on a certain date and that you signed for it.), and
    2) include a written statement under oath (i.e. an "affidavit") with your motion describing in detail what you know (For example, that you didn't sign for it as stated.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motion to set aside default judgement in California! [ 2 Answers ]

My husband sent me divorce papers, from San Diego. I live in Maryland & filed a response. However, my response & his default judgement passed each other in the mail. I need to now file a motion to set aside default judgement, but I can't seem to find the right form. Anyone know which form I can...

Dismissal of motion to set aside final judgement in a divorce [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get dismissed, my ex-wifes's motion to set aside the final judgement in our divorce?

Motion to set aside default, motion to set aside final judgment and motion to set ano [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'M in Florida Jacksonville, I have a small problem, I read the time wrong to appear for my small claims court trial and arrived at 11:15am but is was scheduled at 11am 9/3/09. I tried to explain but did not get anywhere, so I went downstairs to the courthouse and filed a motion to set...

How to write a motion to set aside default judgement [ 13 Answers ]

Recently I was sued by Capital One regarding a credit card balance. I did answer but capital one was given a default judgement stating that I had not answered. I can't find my receipt but definitely answered. I lived 3 blocks from the court house, had the 30 bucks and answered plus did mail the...

View more questions Search