Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sathe1963 Posts: 97, Reputation: 4

Apr 21, 2009, 07:48 AM
    Ceiling fan and table fan - direction of rotation.
    Dear all,

My observation about comparison between direction of rotation of ceiling fans & table fans - for domestic or office applications:

Always table fans are rotated in clock wise direction when seen from front side i.e. from the side where we get breeze. Whereas, ceiling fans rotates in anticlock wise direction. Why this is so? (constructionally, the difference is; ceiling fan has got outer part - body which acts as a rotor, where as in table fans inner part is rotating. Is this with reference to some international standard or what. I am resident of India.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 02:06 PM

Different brands of desk fans go different directions. MOST ceiling fans go CCW some older ones go CW.

I am not sure why.
    I Newton Posts: 110, Reputation: 8

Jan 4, 2010, 02:30 AM

The may simply be that the fan manufacturer may have a third party making either the motor or the blades.

If this is the case than many brands would run in the same direction.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 02:37 AM

It is universal regardless of manufacturer in most cases.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC motor direction of rotation. [ 9 Answers ]

Hi Folks, Can anyone tell me about the typical operation of start motor windings of a tumble dryer motor? My timer is broken, and the dryer can start rotating in either direction, the problem being it will work (ie dry the clothes) in one direction, and not in the other. Once it starts in a...

Ceiling Fan Default Rotation Direction [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Hunter ceiling fan w/ remote and wall switch. The default direction is winter mode but I want it to be summer mode. If I only use the remote I set the direction once and then all is well. But if my kids turn off the fan with the wall switch then next time it is turned on I need to reset...

How do I reverse the hampton bay ceiling fan rotation using a remote [ 1 Answers ]

How do I reverse the hampton bay ceiling fan rotation using a remote

Ceiling Fan Rotation [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Folks.. . One of my ceiling fans will not rotate. It will hum, and act like it want to turn, but that is about it. The lights at the bottom of the fan turn on so I assume it has power. (The hum I get also leads me to believe I have power when I turn on the "rotation switch".) The...

Ceiling Fan Rotation Re-visited [ 1 Answers ]

I have 9 foot ceilings with all ducts/vents in the ceiling (none in floor). Does the same rules apply for reversing fan blade rotation in winter??

View more questions Search