Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zameks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 02:41 AM
    When your boyfriend doesn't plan anything for my birthday
    I've been dating this guy for 4 months now and today is my 31st birthday and he has not planned anything. He says he is broke! I was clearly not in his plans as he was able to buy himself a computer and games!! I'm livid! I've got a good mind of going out tonight without him... Am I too sensitive?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 02:47 AM
    What did he get you for Christmas?
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Dec 29, 2009, 02:48 AM

No, you're not being too sensitive. If you've been in an actual relationship for the past 4 months and he made no effort to recognize your birthday, you have every right to be upset.

Go out without him. Spend time with friends. Hang out. Have fun. Celebrate your birthday. Then talk to him tomorrow, or rethink the relationship.
    Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 02:50 AM
    He may be broke. Again, did he get you anything for Christmas? If so, was it an extravagant gift in his budget.

4 months really isn't a long enough time to be EXPECTING something. Do you know if he might surprise you with something? Remember, the holidays just passed. Many of us are broke right now.
    zameks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 03:06 AM
    He got me nothing for Christmas... he is broke because of that stupid computer and games!! Well J_9 I don't think it's too early to be expecting something, our relationship is fairly young and this is when he should be scoring points with me...
    Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 03:17 AM
    I guess we have to agree to disagree. I do see your point though, but you may be expecting too much.

When I began dating my husband, many years ago, he was broke when my birthday rolled around. So, rather than spending money on me, he cooked me dinner and we went camping for the weekend. However, 18 years later, he threw me the biggest most expensive surprise party for my 40th birthday.

I guess I just see it differently than you do.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 04:32 AM

Take a look at the bigger picture..

How does he normally treat you?

Do you think he should have spent the computer money on you?

4 months is not long,16 weeks,are things that serious between you at this stage that you expect a big gift?

Perhaps he should have thought of something to mark the day for you.

If it's a big deal for you,say something and then let it go,if your still together by your next birthday perhaps he will remember.

For me,at 4 months into the relationship,it's a little over sensitive...
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 10:18 AM

If he didn't get you anything for Christmas, why would you expect anything for your birthday?

I doubt he cares much about scoring points with you, so what's been keeping you around for the last 4 months?

What did you get him for Christmas? What points have you been scoring?? Evidently, not enough.

Are you sure your even in a relationship?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 10:25 AM

I think four months is a bit early for such expectations.

He is apparently not planning you into a long term future. If you care enough to let this bother you, then I don't see a future in your relationship myself.

If indeed he did purchase a computer and games at this time of season and not a single gift for others, why would you want a relationship with someone showing you how self-absorbed they can be?
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2009, 10:29 AM

He sounds very selfish and uncaring-and I wouldn't say he is a keeper. I would get out of this relationship.
    sully123 Posts: 567, Reputation: 148

Dec 29, 2009, 10:36 AM

I think he is in to himself. It's time to move on to someone who can treat you the why you want to be treated. It seems to me, he is selfish. Is this someone your dating or are you girlfriend and boyfriend. Maybe he isn't looking for the same thing you are. Doesn't excuse him for not acknowledging your birthday.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 10:40 AM

Nobody is 'owed' anything on their birthday. Gifts are given, but should not be expected. This isn't something you are entitled to. And it sounds to me like your expectations are too great of a person who isn't exactly tuned in to remembering people on their birthdays.

That being said, he should be polite enough to at least give you a card, get up off his derrierre, and take you for a nice long walk, have coffee, and maybe bring along a birthday candle to stick in your muffin. Nothing has to be extravagant. It could be simple, romantic, and fun.

He does sound immature and selfish to me to a degree. But, maybe this 'fault' of his might be minor compared to other areas of your relationship together. Only you can say.

If he is the type of person who puts himself and his needs (and money) ahead of simple things like celebrating a birthday, I would question being in a relationship with someone like that.

It doesn't take the smarts of a brain surgeon to know that he's a bit out of step with what most of us, would be expecting on our birthdays.

Surely you are worth his time at least. A card from the buck store with a dollar lottery ticket would be better than nothing.

One thing is for certain. You can't demand something from someone who is not capable of giving it.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 10:43 AM

There are loads of things that he could have done to mark both occasions, and he decided against it.

What is it about this guy that you do like?

I agree, at four months it is a little early for extravagant gifts, but even on the third date, I would do something nice for you.

Maybe this is a little deeper look into who he really is. This guy isn't a teenager (or is he?). He should know by now that special people in your life should have something special done for them on both of these days.

Even if it's just a note, meal, card, whatever. Thoughtfulness has no price tag.

But at only four months, don't compare the cost of the things that he DID buy, to what you expected.

How is he about taking you out? Has he spent any money on you at all? I mean like on dates?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    He should know by now that special people in your life should have something special done for them on both of these days.
    Or it may in fact be a sign for the future, a red flag, if you will, and a reason for why he is single.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 11:19 AM

My first reaction to this was to double check the ages--this was waaaaaay too much like a 13 year old rather than a 31 year old.

You are owed NOTHING for your birthday. It's nice when people remember, but no one is obliged to call, write, send a card, get you a gift, or plan an event.

If you don't share the same values on what people do for christmas and birthdays, then 4 months is practically no time at all. Drop him and find someone who treats you up to your expectations.

Just remember that you can't expect a person to be perfect at EVERYTHING. If he gets the day-to-day stuff down perfectly, then you have to ask yourself if the "special" stuff is worth it to you. Not saying that either one is better than the other--you have to decide what YOU can live with.

Better to decide after 4 months that you can't deal with it, than after 4 years.
    ashbada Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2011, 05:57 PM
    Two words: selfish and inconsiderate.

Does he get his mother something for her birthday?

You should dump him. I'm going through the same thing with my boyfriend and I've been with him 7 months. I wonder if this is a precursor for future behavior? Some people only think about themselves, and make unrational, uncaring mistakes...

Since I found out my boyfriend hasn't planned any thing, or asked me to do any thing for my birthday, I've stepped away. I almost feel like something is saying "heres your sign" take it or continue the relationship. I just don't know what to do. I care deeply for him, but selfishness is perhaps the most unadmirable trait or quality that someone can possess. It has to do with ego, self absorption, and an utter sense of "self" importance... their needs are more important than taking care of another perssons (it doesn't matter if it's family or friends) . Often people who are like this don't have many friends because they are unable to be a friend. They are too busy taking care of their own needs to give back what a relationship or friendship needs to survive. I hope that you've found a solution to your question and wish you the best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What should I get my boyfriend for his birthday? [ 4 Answers ]

He and I have been going out for 6 months this wednesday and he is the most amazing guy ever. He is a year younger than me but hey, age is only a number. But his birthday is on the 29th of this month and I have NO CLUE what to get him and he won't tell me anything except that he wants to see me. I...

What should I gift my boyfriend on his 18th birthday? [ 8 Answers ]

What should I gift my boyfriend on his 18th birthday? My age is 16.

What to get my 22 yr old boyfriend for his birthday. [ 3 Answers ]

I need good ideas! he's fixing to deploy in about 6 months, so I want the birthday present to be special. but, not TOO special like what I'm gong to do for when he leaves. someone give some SEXY ideas. To maybe turn up the heat for his birthday!. =]

What to get my boyfriend for his birthday [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend's birthday is coming up within the next couple of months and I have no idea what to get for him. I'd like to do something with him rather than just give him something to unwrap. Any ideas?

View more questions Search