Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dobie_lover Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 28, 2006, 06:40 PM
    My Rescue Dog Won't Eat
    I just adopted a Doberman from a Dobie rescue organization. He's about a year old. When he was rescued, he was all ribs and bones. They had him about 4 months and he has put on a little weight. Since coming to my house, he won't eat. He will come to eat then turn his nose and walk away. I know he's hungry. I've walked him and exercised him, but he still won't eat. He's not a big drinker either. He needs to gain at least 10 to 15 lbs to be where he should be. Any suggestions? I've tried everything, and he can't afford to lose anymore weight. I called my vet and they suggested cooking for him, but on the other hand they said try to get him in the habit of eating dog food rather then people food. Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2006, 09:24 PM
    Have you talked to the rescue? Are you offering him what he was eating there? I hate to see you getting into cooking for him. It is very difficult to achieve a complete and balanced diet other than by feeding a regular dog chow. At this point, a few extra calories won't hurt. Try adding some meat scraps to his kibble or even liquid cooking oil. He has been through a lot, and once he has a chance to settle into his new home, you may be able to get back to plain kibble soon.

The consensus of the veterinarians is to feed a regular dog chow, although there are those that push all sorts of strange diets.

Make sure you aren't setting your goal for his weight too high. See http://www.puppychow.com/products/po...condition.aspx Some dogs do need to gain weight. I once had a Lab come to me at 7 months, 55 pounds, and her ribs showing. Being a lab, I had no problem getting her to eat 7 cups a day of Pro Plan, and by 10 months, she was 70 pounds and a healthy, lean dog.
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Nov 29, 2006, 12:20 PM
    You can also tempt him by adding a couple of tablespoons of plain yogurt to his food... I is good for him and many dogs love it.

They also make gravies these days... I'm also not a fan of getting a dog off the routine of eating kibble, but he has to eat something.

Dobies can be so high strung that it's hard to know what's bugging him.

-Beth
    jenni9 Posts: 40, Reputation: 5

Nov 29, 2006, 05:14 PM
    Sometimes I make my dogs a special "treat" which is chicken, plain rice, and no salt added green beans-------they absolutely love it!
    Dobie_lover Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 29, 2006, 06:17 PM
    Thanks to everyone for your advice. He is definitely making progress every day that he is with me. I want to try to encourage him to eat dog food rather then people food (though I do believe in the occasional treat). All your thoughts are very encouraging! I love my new dog and want him to have a long, healthy life with us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog won't eat [ 6 Answers ]

I rescued a Staff from Battersea Dogs home a few weeks ago now, and he just doesn't want to eat!! He seems really happy in his new home, but is just not bothered by food. I'll put his breakfast out in the morning before I go to work and it's still there at lunch time. In the evening, he'll pick at...

My Dog Will Not Eat [ 4 Answers ]

We Have 15 1\2 Year Old Terrier , Colly Cross, She Has Athritis And Has Briefly Been On Metacam.a Week Or So Ago Another Dog Knocked Her Over And Hurt One Of Her Legs.we Took Her To The Vets And I Was Told There Was No Major Damage.3 - 4 Days Ago She Stopped Eating And We Took Her Back To The Vets...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

Dog won't eat [ 5 Answers ]

I read the post from MYGEL about her/his dog that wouldn't eat. I have a similar problem with my dog. With in the past 3 weeks she has refused to eat her dog food. She does drink her water though. I took her to the vet last week and they wanted to run some tests and keep her for a few days....

Rescue And Adopt A Dog Or Cat! Don't Buy One! [ 16 Answers ]

quote: originally posted by labman puppies are a lot of work. Often i try to convince people to adopt an older dog instead of buying a puppy. I see many questions, here and elsewhere, from people who would have been better off not buying a puppy. bravo labman! I agree with you 100%. I...

View more questions Search