Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ciberdawg Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2009, 12:41 PM
    Why would a longtime friend suddenly shut you out?
    Hello, all. I am really not sure what to do about the problem I have. Lisa (not her name) and I have been friends for 32 years. We used to work together which is where our friendship started. We have been there for each other for everything, the ups and the downs. I have always thought of her as more of a sister as well as a friend, and my daughters considered her an aunt. Once the place we worked at went out of business in 1980, we always got together once a month to "goof off"... eat lunch, go shopping, etc. Then a few months ago something so peculiar happened. We had our day for October scheduled (it was a Sunday as I had to work on Saturday). Well, I got laid off October 6th so I figured I would call her and see if she would prefer to go Saturday. I called her work as I intended to just leave her a message. The greeting on her voice mail stated she was on vacation all week. So, I called her home on the off chance she would answer (she does not have voice mail or answering machine at home and if she doesn't want to answer she doesn't). Well, she answered. I told her what had happened and why I was calling. She was DISTINCTLY FROSTY. She said she didn't know and she thought she was doing something with her sister. I said that was fine and to call if things changed. This was a Tuesday. But, it did bother me as she has never in all these years spoken to me in that tone. Well, between then and Sunday I wound up getting sick. So I called her on Sunday morning to tell her I was ill. She said she was feeling under the weather and she left me a message on my cell phone... still in the extremely frosty tone. Now, what is rather odd about this is she knows I never have my cell phone on. I only use it for emergencies. She did not even try to call the house phone first. So, if I had not been sick I would have driven all the way up to her house (we live almost an hour apart) and then had to turn around to come home. By the way, in July of this year I went to her house on our scheduled day and rang the doorbell several times. She did not answer. There is no way to tell if she is at home as she never opens the blinds or curtains and the car is always in the garage. Well, I needed to use the restroom so I went to a convenience store and then called her home from my cell. She answered the phone and said she forgot that it was our day to goof off. She said she didn't feel like going through the bother of getting up and taking a shower. This in itself was odd as neither one of us has ever forgotten and we have always been courteous to each other about needing to cancel and called each other as far ahead as we could so the other could make plans if they wanted to. But I just figured maybe it was a really bad day or something and dismissed it. Well, to get back to the present. When I sent out Christmas cards I heard nothing from her. She has never sent out cards but always calls to thank me for sending her one. I tried to call off and on for about a week and never an answer. So I waited a couple of weeks and then sent a friendship card telling her I had tried to call her and that I was going to stick close to home for awhile to save my gas for job interviews. I also told her a few of the things going on... just a short chatty note. This was in November and still nothing. The last time we spoke was October 11th. We have no mutual friends so cannot ask anyone that way; nor do I know any of her family members' numbers and she has a very common last name so that might be pretty hard to figure out which number would be a family member and the last I knew they had unlisted numbers like hers. Also, if I would do that; knowing her she would resent the fact of asking her family about her even though I am unable to ask her directly. So I am unsure what more to do or if I should even do anything else. I have no idea what I have done or not done to bring about this situation. On our last outing we had a great day like always. The only thing I could possibly think of is her birthday was in September and I sent her a birthday card as usual... she turned 50 this year but age has never bothered either one of us. I am feeling that maybe I should just leave it alone and if she wants to speak with me she will and if she doesn't she won't. I guess the ball is in her court and I need to let her decide what she wants to do. It is just that this is like the death of a sister for me. I have never in my life had a friend for 32 years! If anyone has any insights on this I would greatly appreciate them. Maybe someone else can see between the lines something that I am missing. Or if someone else has gone through the same thing can point out some things to do... even to just help myself adjust. As I don't start my new job until February... have been occupying my time by cleaning. I tell you... I will have the cleanest house in the world by February! Thank you for listening.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2009, 12:49 PM

I read your post twice, and still cannot offer you any insight..

The only thing I can come up with is to write her a letter.

There could be any number of reason as to why she is putting distance between you..

An offense you did not realise,an illness,a complicated personal relationship,money problems..

Its difficult to see her reasons from your post.

32 years is a long investment in a friendship,and not one that I could easily walk away from,at least without a very good reason.

Dec 28, 2009, 01:10 PM

Thank you. I will try a letter. Maybe a little more in depth than what I wrote in the friendship card. I think I will do that next week after the holidays (we are having Christmas late due to the blizzard!). That way things will be calmed down and I can "rationalize" my thoughts.
    Yes, difficult to see her reasons as I have no clue either! I will add a post if I ever get a reply.

Off the subject... I see you are in Ireland. I am of Scottish, Irish and English for part of my ancestry. I would love to see the country over seas but... that sadly will have to remain a dream! We are descended from the Clan MacGregor... related to Robert the Bruce.

Again... thank you taking the time to answer. Maybe another letter will do the trick.
    sully123 Posts: 567, Reputation: 148

Dec 28, 2009, 01:12 PM

I agree with redhead, maybe a sending a little note hoping she is OK. Then if nothing, you have to wait for her to contact you. I don't think it has anything to do with you.

Dec 28, 2009, 01:28 PM

Okay... that settles it for sure! I will send a letter out on Monday. She should get it by Wednesday. Then we shall see. Thank you so much.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2009, 01:30 PM

Robert the bruce... im not easily impressed, but that's a claim to fame if ever there was one!

Please keep an eye on your thread,there are so many interesting people here who can offer you so much advice.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 28, 2009, 01:52 PM

I'd send a note asking what happened, personally.

If you can't ask after 32 years, what's the point?

Dec 28, 2009, 02:01 PM

Redhed,
    I was surprised and quite amazed when I found out about Robert the Bruce. A very interesting history! Yes, I will keep an eye on the thread for sure.

Dec 28, 2009, 02:05 PM
    Synnen, Yes, that is what I figure as well. We have always shared things and have been able to talk about everything under the sun... except for 2 topics. Which many years ago... in fact... about 25 years ago we found we had completely different view points and I would never change mine and she would never change hers. So we just mutually agreed never to bring them up. Worked great. That is why it is completely mystifying that she hasn't said anything. So... hopefully within the next couple of weeks I will find out.

Love your little saying! I have a T-shirt that says on the back "Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap liquor". They were giving them out where my fiancé buys his beer and he talked them into giving me one as well even though I don't drink.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2009, 02:39 PM
    Best of luck and I hope you get to visit Scotland-I lived there for five years before moving to England-its a bonny country.
    Though I ken ne MacGregors!

Dec 28, 2009, 02:54 PM

Amicon, I would dearly love to visit. Finances (or rather lack of them!) will prohibit it. However, I have ordered ribbon for the wedding in the MacGregor tartan, will have head wreaths for me, my two daughters and granddaughter made of heather and probably daisies along with the ribbon. So I will have some of Scotland with me. Too bad I don't know anyone who plays bagpipes! I love the bagpipes. I will have some of Altan's music for our small reception as well.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2009, 03:08 PM
    That sounds lovely! Happy wedding! Bagpipes are great-once at the Lonach Games I heard Billy Connoly attempting to play them-he's better at acting! :-)

Dec 28, 2009, 04:21 PM

Many thanks! We are all Harry Potter fans so the nuptials will be on July 31, 2010.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1986 S-10 4 cyl. 2.5L 5-speed fuel injected. Suddenly shut down. [ 2 Answers ]

I finally got the engine checked. The keyway at the camshaft/timing gear DAMAGED the camshaft slot. Gear and shaft spin; not simpy a broken key. Camshaft and all related items need replacing. Engine has 175,000 miles. Smokes a little on starting only, maybe leaks a little. (Concerned about simply...

My boy friend asking me like suddenly' do you love me' whts behind it? [ 3 Answers ]

My boy friend asking me suddenly like'' do you love me'' whts behind it? I cannot understand why he is like that,more then 3, 4 times he ask me that same thing, but I already told him that I am getting married soon. I could'nt undrestand whether he wants me, or he is teasing me or trying to make...

Longtime friend smothering and vindictive? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've never asked a question online before, but I am going out of my mind obsessively trying to figure out how to deal with a friend of mine. I'm 32, we've been friends since we were 16. We were roommates for one year after college and then been pretty much long distance friends since then....

View more questions Search