Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    franneh Posts: 134, Reputation: 7

Sep 27, 2006, 04:01 AM
    Nipples leaking?
    Okay this morning I didn't have time to shower so I just knelt over the bathtub and washed my hair, resting my chest on a folded towel. When I stood up to brush my teeth, I noticed in the mirror that my new bra had a "wet" looking dot on each breast. Then I realized the dots were exactly where my nipples are. So I look inside my bra and see on the inside an even bigger wet-looking circle. It could be oil or wetness I don't know because it hasn't had enough time to dry yet. What is this and why is it coming out of my nipples? I thought maybe I squeezed it out of them when I smooshed my chest on the edge of the tub to wash my hair... :P

Background: This new bra I have worn 3 days in a row. I have always worn white/black bras. This new one is turquoise blue, so maybe I have always had this problem and just never noticed it on a white or black bra before. My chest is also very large if that makes a difference (D or DD depending on brand)

I am 22, and am currently at the very end of my period this month. I haven't had sex in at least a month, if not longer, but I can't remember. I am on birth control pills and have been since I was 19.

I am also under a tremendous amount of stress right now planning a last minute wedding, and my body is showing other signs of stress and fatigue.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Sep 27, 2006, 06:01 AM
    Girl, you are just leaking all over! First your tampons, now your breasts - I hope you are marrying a plumber! :rolleyes: . Seriously, some occasional leakage can be normal but it cannot be ignored. If the leakage were bloody or blood-tinged, this is never normal and must be evaluated immediately. Leakage limited to a single breast is also more suspect. Since you don't mention a bloody discharge - and your leakage is bilateral - there is always the question of some underlying "whole body" process such as a hormonal abnormality - which might also explain your tampon failure (due to excess menstruation). Some medications can lead to leakage (birth control pills, prozac, etc). In your other posts, you mention you are due for your yearly gyno exam - be sure and mention both problems (leaky breasts and tampon failure) to your doctor since they might be related. At 22, you are probably okay - but it never fails to be cautious with your health. Good luck:) .
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 27, 2006, 12:42 PM
    I can't add much more to the answer you have gotten so far. That was FANTASTIC!!

I will add though that you NEED to do your monthly breast exam! It is good that you were "leaking" from both sides, if it were one side only I would be concerned. But you do need to find out if you have any lumps or bumps in your breasts.

As JGJ suggested, you are probably okay, but you need to get to the doctor and mention everything you mentioned to us. Please do not leave anything out and do not leave until you understand what the doc has told you.

Please read my introduction and you may understand more of where I am coming from.
    franneh Posts: 134, Reputation: 7

Sep 27, 2006, 05:29 PM
    LOL nice reply about marrying a plumber. XD Actually I am getting married Nov 4 to an electrician thank you! LOL! Anyway, I won't be able to get a gyno appt until after the 4th of November because I don't have insurance now and can't afford it, so I hafta wait until I'm on his.

Okay so I tested the leakage today. I still have spots on my bra even after 8 hours of work so its either an oily type of leakage that has stained, or it has just not stopped leaking. It has not come through on my shirt though. I put some squares of toilet paper in my bra over the nipples so I could see if the wetness had a color to it, and it doesn't. Its just clear. Also I did a self exam and felt nothing. By the way the wet spots on the outside of my bra are only like half an inch in diameter approx.

I have not had much sleep lately due to all the stress of trying to plan a big wedding with only 2 months notice. I've only been getting 2-4 hours each night. And I've broken down and drank some caffeinated beverages a lot lately too. And like I said, I just finished a very healthy-flow period. It wasn't light or spotty, so I highly doubt I'm pregnant especially considering how long ago I did anything to begin with.

Any more help or insight would be appreciated since I still have to wait a few more weeks to see my gyno. I did call the office and ask for her to phone me about this symptom but haven't gotten a return call yet. *waits*
    Expert

Sep 27, 2006, 05:36 PM
    It sounds like colostrum. Which is produced by the mamary glands and the milk ducts. There is nothing else in the breast that makes the breast leak.

You may still have to do a pregnancy test.

It is highly unusual for your breast to leak for no reason. It is either pregnancy or "something" pressing up against the milk ducts.

Maybe you can go to a local clinic or planned parenthood for an exam. This is nothing to wait around for.

I do not mean to scare you by any means, but that is how I found my breast cancer. So, you can see, it could be a serious situation. Or it could be something as little as a "reaction" to your period. You need to have this checked out now.

Again, I don't want to scare you, but that is what happened to me. I was only 32 at the time.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Sep 28, 2006, 06:39 AM
    You are marrying an electrician? I find that shocking :eek: . As J_9 suggests, monthly exams can be helpful but are extremely difficult to do correctly in young patients like yourself - particularly since you are D / DD. You will need an experienced medical professional to teach you how to do it correctly. Try checking with your local American Cancer Society - they can probably direct you to someone with the necessary experience. In the beginning, you may need to do it several times a month to learn what is "normal" for your own breasts - since younger women tend to have dense irregular glandular tissue. Self exams are more sensitive in older women where much of the glandular tissue has been replaced with fat. Don't rely solely on these exams though - if you have any symptoms - leakage, tenderness, or just "feel" like something "isn't right" - see a doctor even if the self exam hasn't changed. Good luck on the wedding!!
    Expert

Sep 28, 2006, 04:43 PM
    Had to spread the love JGJ!! Great advice about the ACS!

Also, when you do your monthly exam remember to do it on the same day every month as breast tissue can change in younger women. A great way to remember this is to do it, for instance, on the same day that your birthday would be each month, or your wedding anniversary date (same day each month, like the 2nd or the 5th.)
    Amdiveney Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2009, 06:21 PM

I actually was laying in bed the other night, on my side so no pressure on my breasts, they have been sore, and had almost the same experience as you. And I was just wondering what you had found out because again like you I have no insurance. You would help so much if you get back to me. Thanks
    oil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2012, 08:05 AM
    Its your bra stupid just check again you will find it it happened to me today

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat is leaking! [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 8 yr old female cat. She is overweight and does have difficulty cleaning herself. For MANY months now she has been leaving little tiny brown spots when she sits down. I have to clean her at least once a week or her hair gets really matted by her vagina. It is really gross. I am not...

Hair around nipples, on chest, face [ 6 Answers ]

How common is it for women to have a lot of hair around their nipples (percentage)? On their chest? As I have gotten older (I'm now 42), I have gotten a lot of hair in these places, and I am also getting longer (but very thin) hair on my upper lip and more and more little black hairs on my chin....

Shower pan leaking ? [ 3 Answers ]

This may sound like a dumb question, but I am a first-time home owner and I'm not sure who to call about a leak in my shower. I'm pretty sure it is the shower pan that is leaking. Do I call a plumber first? Or a contracter? I'm confused. Please help. Thanks.

Leaking [ 4 Answers ]

We had been hearing running water near our kitchen sink, and the water meter dial had been turning constantly. The water bill jumped from fifty to eighty dollars.We called in a plumber who said we have a leak. He put nitrogen and helium into the pipes,so he would be able to hear exactly were the...

View more questions Search