Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lori_b Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Hdmi hookup from TV to direct TV satellite receiver?
    Hi... I'm confused.
    I just puchased a Samsung 32" lcd hd TV. It comes with 2 hdmi outputs. I also purchased a Samsung upconvert dvd player, which comes with an hdmi input... so I've connected the dvd to the TV without a problem. That leaves me with one more hdmi output on the TV... so I thought I would connect my new hd dvr direct TV receiver to my TV via hdmi. I tried... and it doesn't work... says there is no signal detected. The direct TV installer hooked it up with the red/blue/yellow/green cables and it's working fine... but I'd love to use the hdmi cable instead and get rid of all these extra cables.
    Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 10, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Do you know how to get the various inputs displayed on your screen such as Video 1, Analog 1, Analog 2, HD 1, HD 2, RGB? Try each one of these inputs and allow the unit to sit for a minute before trying the next input. I'd start with Video 1.
    wvrcnitro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2008, 04:14 PM
    I'm a bit confussed. You listed your TV as having 2 HDMI outputs. Most TV's have inputs, not outputs. I think that is why it shows no signal.:confused:
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 08:58 AM
    Star by connecting the HD Dish output to the TV input.

Look for a second input on the TV and connect the HDMI from the DVD to the Second input to the TV. See if that works for you.

Also, please add the model numbers back to this item so we can verify our suggestions against the manuals connection suggestions.
    Rockskis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2009, 01:01 PM
    Basically Direct TV does not Frame HDMI signals even though their DVR does have an output for HDMI. I know because this is my business to install high-tech components. I have had similar problems but going further loss of signal once it is up and running 24/7 with the DVR left on!!
    Direct TV's technology -- I am guessing here their satellite systems though being a half-a-billion dollars does not have the capability to re-frame HDMI. So the fix is this you have to pull the plug on the TV for at least 15 second reset; thereafter hook up your DVR with component cables -- mayber the most basic to Video1,2 etc. imput on the TV then hit the reset button on the DVR it will then pull up the satellite signal from Direct TV to be reset to the TV. Once this happens then you can think about trying to recaputure the HDMI re-boot. Do this by going to your T.V. menu and finding your external imputs, direct the TV to go to HDMI 1,2,3 for cable box, satellite, imput. See then if it has re-framed HDMI to your TV. If not hit the reset button again on the DVR and see it will reframe the HDMI cable (incidentally it is a good idea to un-hook all HDMI cables between TV and DVR when doing the re-boot! Most Direct TV installers do not even know how to do this re-boot -- funny Direct TV has this deep dark company secret that it can not reframe HDMI though they do have HDMI outputs on all their DVRs. Maybe some day someone at Direct TV will do a "space walk" and fix the problems, until then Good Luck in getting them to even admit there is any problem with their system!!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2009, 06:29 AM

As mentioned, the TV has HDMI INPUTS, The DVD and Satellite have outputs. Try switching inputs.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 26, 2009, 11:48 AM

Hey,

Am I missing something here? This question is from Feb. 2007

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DVD/VCR/Satellite receiver to TV hookup [ 3 Answers ]

What is the easiest way to hookup a DVD player, VCR to a TV with a directv Satellite receiver? :confused:

Tuning my satellite receiver to my TV [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, Tuning my satellite receiver to my T My TV has lost the ability to tune in to my satellite receiver. In the past, I just connected the SCART cable between the TV and the satellite receiver and the picture would come on automatically, now all I get is some sort of very unstable ,...

Dvd/satellite receiver [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how to hook up my dvd player through my satellite receiver. The TV does not have any place to plug the red, white, and yellow cords to but the satellite receiver does. I have connected the dvd player to the satellite receiver I just can't get a picture.

DVD/VCR/Satellite receiver to TV hookup [ 3 Answers ]

What is the easiest way to hookup a DVD player, VCR to a TV with a Hughes Satellite receiver? Should I use a RF Modulator or what?

Receiver for European Satellite Stations? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a satellite receiver on the market that can access european satellite stations, and if so is a decoder required. I am based in the UK. Obviously I would need a satellite dish that can be remotely.

View more questions Search