Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superk Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Dec 20, 2009, 08:12 PM
    What to feed for a 3 week old puppy? Mother won't let him suck anymore.
    What to feed for a 3 week old puppy? Mother won't let him suck anymore.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 09:02 PM

You want to get a formula such as this: PetAg Esbilac Puppy Milk Replacer at PETCO

For up to 6 weeks.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 10:13 PM

In addition to feeding the milk replacer do you know when you need to start feeding solids, and when?
    It doesn't sound like you did much research before your dog had puppies.

Dec 22, 2009, 12:30 PM

It's a puppy of my neighbor. Their dog gave birth to 6 puppies and she's letting me adopt 2. I just took 1.

I had 2 dogs before this one, they both died this year so I don't want to make the same mistakes I had.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 22, 2009, 12:39 PM

It really is a good idea to take the puppy to your vet, let him/her recommend a diet.

The issue of feeding isn't the only problem. At 3 weeks of age you pup is not ready to leave it's mother, for more reasons then just food.

You're looking at health problems and behavior problems (if the pup survives and the odds aren't great).

The fact that you really don't know what to do scares me. Caring for a 3 week old puppy is not something that most people can do successfully.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 03:31 PM

I would suggest going to your local library and picking up some books on raising puppies, to be honest there is far too much information to learn than can be posted here.

I love this site from Woodhaven Labs, there's lots of info on dogs and breeding to get you started but there's nothing better than having a hardcopy book sitting there for reference.
    Breeding Responsibly - Finding a responsible breeder - Bringing up puppy

And here is a site on orphan puppy care:
    Orphan Puppy & Kitten Care - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Dec 23, 2009, 12:42 PM

Thank you all...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How much should you feed a puppy? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi shaz, or anyone else that can advise me on this matter. I have a 13 week old Shih Tzu and I'm a bit confused how much I should feed her? I feed her wet food in the morning only quarter of a tin, and then dried food midday, then another quarter of a tin of wet food in the evening. Is this...

9 week old breast-fed baby vomits lots after each feed. [ 2 Answers ]

My 9 week old baby vomits a lot after each feed. He is putting weight on but is small - between the 2nd and 9th centile on growth charts. He is also undistressed although is windy. I feed him and he pukes lots when he burps and hiccups. I have tried baby gaviscon and it made him worse, I keep...

Very suck puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have a little mixed breed dog. He isn't quite a year old. He isn't eating or drinking but keeps vomiting clear liquid. I don't know what to do.

How much do I feed an 8 week old puppy in a crate? [ 1 Answers ]

Im getting an eight week old puppy that's perfect for our lifestyle.I have decided on using the crate method but how many times a day do I feed the puppy?And what do I feed it so it doesn't have problems?

What do I feed my 7 week old kitten? [ 4 Answers ]

Hiya, I just took a kitten from my friend and I have no idea what the best way to feed the kitten is? I get all sorts of ideas from people and I just want to feed him the right way as I do not want to overfeed or underfeed him. Also the maintenance of a kitten? I think I bought the basics but...

View more questions Search