Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnneedshelp Posts: 67, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 05:17 PM
    Hooking up a Beacon Morris garage heater
    Hello
    I just purchased a Beacon Morris garage heater. It is a BRU-75. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could purchase a thermostat for this particular model. I want to have a switch on the thermostat that will let me shut off the unit when I don't want it to run. I don't want to heat the garage all the time. It will not run an AC unit so I need a heat only thermostat. I checked at Menards and I don't think that they had one.
    The second question is, how do you hook up the thermostat? The unit comes with directions but they certainly are not intended for layman such as myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 05:26 PM

This unit should have a 24 volt transformer so any heating t-stat should work with just 2 wires. There should be a 2 termanal wire hook up it the back of the unit.

Nov 16, 2009, 05:47 PM

Thanks
    On the back of the unit it has terminals labeled R G W1 W2. Which two would I use? Since I want a thermostat with a switch on it, do I somehow hook it up so if the switch should get turned off while heating, the fan will stay running until the unit cools?
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 06:04 PM

R and w1 for heat
    You need to use the g if you want to run just fan

Nov 16, 2009, 09:03 PM

Do I have to do the pressure test for the gas like the directions say. I talked to a plumber and he showed me how he would hook it up. He however did not mention the pressure test.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 09:42 PM

You really should check and or adjust gas pressure to be safe,especially if you are L.P gas. You will need a manometer to do so. If your gas pressure is too high you risk ruining your heat exchanger. Good luck!

Nov 22, 2009, 09:04 PM
    Thanks for all the great help so far everyone. I hung the heater this weekend. I ran into a problem with venting to the outside. When I run the class be vent tubing, I need to run horiztonally with a slight pitch. Can I run the vent with a 90 degree elbow directly off the back of the unit, across the width of the unit, and then add a 45 degree angle just before it goes through the outside wall? I will attach a very rough sketch if I can figure out how to add attachment.

Sorry hvacservicetech_07 I meant so say agrees. I don't know why It says disagrees. I don't know how to change it.
    Attached Images

hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 22, 2009, 09:33 PM
    See install instructions

Beacon/Morris Residential, Commercial, Heat, Hot Water, Steam, Gas, Hydronic, Kickspace Heaters, Oil.

Pay very close attention to the written word and the chart/diagrams. I do not believe what you are attempting to do will comply with the factory directions.

Nov 23, 2009, 04:35 PM

I think your right. So now the question is how hard would it be to vent out of the roof. I am afraid to cut a hole in the roof because I am not sure how to make it water tight. Hmmm, I am going to have to think about this one.

Nov 23, 2009, 07:49 PM
    They make a roof flashing for all the different manufactures of B vent and that if properly installed will prevent any leaks.

If you could lower the heater then going out the side wall could still be a option.
    rlbell51 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2009, 04:34 PM
    I also have a question on installing this unit. On connecting the electrical. The L1 is the hot wire and the L2 is the neutral?

Dec 19, 2009, 05:37 PM
    Usually L1 and L2 are for power so you might have a 240 volt unit.

Post brand and exact model number.
    Also post description of unit.

Dec 20, 2009, 08:52 AM

I am sorry.. the unit I have is a beacon morris bru 45. Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like L1 is the hot leg and L2 is the neutral. Just want to be sure.

Dec 20, 2009, 09:18 AM
    Your wiring diagram and furnace service manual is on the right side this page.

Looks like your unit is 120volt L2 neutral

Beacon/Morris Residential, Commercial, Heat, Hot Water, Steam, Gas, Hydronic, Kickspace Heaters, Oil.

Dec 20, 2009, 10:14 AM

So my hot (black) incoming goes to L1 and my netural ( white incoming goes to L2

Dec 20, 2009, 10:20 AM
    It seems to be that way. It is not actually identified on the drawing

Dec 20, 2009, 10:43 AM

Yes.. I was unclear to me also. Thanks so much for your help. If you come up with any other ideas let me know.

Bob

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hooking up a baseboard heater [ 2 Answers ]

I've been trying to hook up a couple of baseboard heaters, both w/double pole thermostats directly on the heaters. The people I bought the house from ran power to the first heater then from there to another. The first works fine and the thermostat controls the temp as it's supposed to but the other...

Hooking up the gas to a water heater [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a house and the gas was not yet completed to the home. The water heater is in and the water is connected to it but I need to connect it to the stub before the gas company comes and puts in the meter and turns on the gas. The gas flexible pipe is on the hot water. Do I just connect it to...

Hooking up a cnc miil in my garage [ 2 Answers ]

First I have bought a tree cnc mill 5 hp 3 phase I need info on hooking up the 125 sub panel to my garage Also I believe I need to install a new 200 amp main panel which is in a bedroom downstairs The distance from the main panel to the garage is about 70 to 80 ft I am not sure what kind of...

Garage Heater [ 2 Answers ]

I have a ceiling mounted heater, 5000 watt, 220 volt with a heater mounted thermostat. I am interested in changing to a wall mounted 24 volt programmable thermostat. How do I accomplish this?

View more questions Search