Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shariberry251 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 06:05 AM
    Itchy mons pubis
    My mons pubis is severely itchy, on and off for about 6 months. I've been to my doctor who ran all the test and thought it could be dermatitis, and gave me some cream. That helped for a while, but not for long, I am worried about going to my ob/gyn again only to tell me the same thing. This is the only part of the vulva that has been itching, and I am at my wits end, any help would be great, thank you.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 06:40 AM

I hate to say this, shariberry, but could you have picked up some little critters (human parasites) somewhere ? You don't have to come by them via sexual transmission, but they can come other ways, like in bed sheets, on towels, on toilet seats. They are hard to spot and need a good magnifying glass to see them. A doctor who wouldn't be expecting to look for them, couldn't see them with the naked eye.

Tick
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 05:17 PM
    What sort of soap do you use? What about the washing powder?

If this area is sensitive try using a natural soap, or no soap at all for a while and changing to washing powder that is 'green' and not perfumed.
    3Ada3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2009, 05:27 PM
    Shari,
    I have suffered from this condition for over 20 years. It gets worse right before my period. In fact, the mons pubis area swells somewhat and the itching can drive you out of your mind! If you get all kinds of tests done and they say they can't figure it out, then at least know you aren't alone. Here is the only thing that works for me: Vagisil Intense Anti-Itch cream. It absolutely numbs the area. Also, whenever possible go without the underwear! If you've ever put on leggings or tights and your leg hair is kind of long (not shaved) the same thing can happen to your legs. Itch, itch, itch! Consider waxing that area. I know, I know, it's painful at first, but when you're itching --- you will gladly exchange it for pain! For some reason, underwear "pulls" at the pubic hairs and can cause intense itching.
    Yes, visit your dermatologist... but when they say they can't get to the bottom of it and recommend that you avoid soaps, wear cotton underwear, etc. and you still don't have relief... Just put the Vagisil Intense Anti Itch cream on and within minutes you'll have relief!

Shari,
    I have suffered from this condition for over 20 years. It gets worse right before my period. In fact, the mons pubis area swells somewhat and the itching can drive you out of your mind! If you get all kinds of tests done and they say they can't figure it out, then at least know you aren't alone. Here is the only thing that works for me: Vagisil Intense Anti-Itch cream. It absolutely numbs the area. Also, whenever possible go without the underwear! If you've ever put on leggings or tights and your leg hair is kind of long (not shaved) the same thing can happen to your legs. Itch, itch, itch! Consider waxing that area. I know, I know, it's painful at first, but when you're itching --- you will gladly exchange it for pain! For some reason, underwear "pulls" at the pubic hairs and can cause intense itching.
    Yes, visit your dermatologist... but when they say they can't get to the bottom of it and recommend that you avoid soaps, wear cotton underwear, etc. and you still don't have relief... Just put the Vagisil Intense Anti Itch cream on and within minutes you'll have relief!

Shari,

Shari,
    gingerfran Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 08:57 AM
    I too have suffered many years... and was too embarrassed to ask my doctor. This is an insanely, uncontrollable itch... I've tried many creams and steroid creams too. Works for a bit only. I will try the vagisil cream... going to go to the drugstore now... can't wait!
    pvinson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 08:24 PM
    I have suffered with this condition for around 20 years and have seen different dermatologists and doctors. Regarding it. Ihave found that not using soap, but Cetaphil liquid cleanser works the best. Follow the directions and it will ease up. The anit-itch creams do work for some instant relief, but not for the long term. Putting cold wash cloths on it, and rinsing in cold water helps stop the itch. Keeping yourself as dry as possible, cotton crotch underwear is best and no underwear at night while sleeping. After a shower use the hairdryer to really dry yourself. And don't scratch. I know easier said than done, but it does only make it worst. It is a horrible, deep, hold your breath kind of itch. You could just rip yourself to pieces and I have plenty of times. I wish there was something better out there but haven't found it. Mainly though if you feel it coming on, don't scratch,continue using the sensitive liquid soap, and anti itch creams. Hopefully it will pass quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lump on mons pubis [ 6 Answers ]

Hard lump about about the size of a nickel by bikini line on vulva. It is sore to touch and is kind of peeling I went to dr he said it was probably a sebaceous cyst and would go away it did and came back not even 2 weeks later this time its bigger and it was peeling or crusted? The first time I...

Itchy ear [ 1 Answers ]

My neighbours spaniel keeps scratching one of her ears. There is no wax in it and no sign of redness. There are some fine hairs which could be tickling, but surely then she would be scratching both ears? My dogs have never had any ear problems so don't know much about ears. Any advice?

Itchy pup [ 3 Answers ]

My dog chews her back constantly. I have tried everything, and the only solution by the vet is to put her on steroids! Any advice?

Itchy pup [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 8 week old puppy, and it scratches all the time. In its fur there are tiny brown seed egg looking things close to the skin. I want to know what it is. Someone Please Help

Itchy [ 15 Answers ]

Yeah OK so since I got back form my cottage I've had this horrible itching around my vagina and I'm wondering what the hell this is I itches when I move the wrong way its red and very sensitive... I really need some help its bugging the crap out of me.. my mom got me some itch cream but it doesn't...

View more questions Search