Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zombie53 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 03:51 PM
    1996 dodge ram abs brake light is always on even though the park brake is off
    I have a 1996 dodge ram 1500 and ABS brake light won't shut off even though the park brake isn't engaged could that be the ABS sensor need to be changed ?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2009, 04:13 PM

No, the problem may be more serious than that. You need to have an ABS Code Reader attached to the under dash data link connector, in order to read the stored codes. Based on the codes, certain repairs likely need to be made. If you are lucky, it may mean just removing the ABS sensors (Torx E8) on each wheel and cleaning them with a spritzled rag. There are many other possibilities, however.

One of the best and cheapest defenses, to prevent expensive ABS repairs, is to change the brake fluid every 2 years with an ABS-approved fluid. This prevents internal corrosion from developing and damaging the modulator, internal pump, calipers, and other components.

My father failed to change the brake fluid regularly on his Camry. It took Toyota two weeks, and cost over $2,000, to repair the ABS system and replace pads and disks. He picked the car up today.
    zombie53 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 07:03 PM

When we went to the mechanic he told us the sensor was loose but I don't think he ever fixed it
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2009, 07:10 PM

Each wheel sensor is mounted with an E8 Torx bolt, after a small amount of thread locker is applied. That should be an easy fix, if that's all it is. Buy a small external Torx socket set and you should be able to fix it yourself. Access should be easy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

96 dodge ram 1500 brake light problem [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2 v8 and the brake light fuse keeps blowing. I have replaced the brake pedal switch and removed all the bulbls, but whenever I push the brake pedal down it blows. Does anyone have any ideas??

1996 dodge ram 1500 radiator leaking on drivers side how do I fix [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1996 dodge ram 1500 and the radiator is leaking on the bottom drivers side where you can't see it does anyone know how I would fix it, and it only blows out luke warm air through the heater could it be that the radiator needs to be flushed

Termostate sur un dodge ram 1996 [ 1 Answers ]

Mon trunck prend bien du prestone il coule en desous le moteur et la température monte a 195

Emergency Brake light stays on after brake is realeased [ 3 Answers ]

What would cause the emergancy brake light to stay on after the emergancy brake has been released on my 2002 Ford Explorer?

After replacing Brake Light Switch Now can't shift car out of Park. [ 2 Answers ]

I tried to replace the brake light switch to solve my "Brake Lights Remain On" problem. Now I can not get my car out of park. Why can't I now put the car into gear? I have an automatic transmission. 2002 Ford Explorer is my car.

View more questions Search