Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tsherv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2009, 03:52 PM
    Spirit (Murray) Snowblower drive issue!
    Hi,

I have an older Spirit (Murray) 8 HP 25" snowblower (model B2580-020), and I'm having issues with the drive system (not the auger). I'm guessing this machine is somewhere around 15 years old. I have 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse. I have a driveway with an incline (not massive, but definitily not flat). When I drive the snowblower around in the garage (level), all the gears work fine. When I drive it up the driveway, most of the high gears won't drive. If I'm blowing snow, I have to have it in 1st gear, and push! It's almost as though the belt is slipping. I pulled the cover off to look at the belts, and the drive belt looks fairly new. Someone told me about "friction plates" that could be bad. The problem is, I can't find any documentation on this machine to know what to look for. Most part dealers can't even find my machine by the model number. Should I replace the drive belt? Is there any kind of drive belt adjustment? Any other advice?

Thanks!
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Dec 13, 2009, 09:22 AM

Hi,
    Most have drive disc that has a rubber surface around its circumference. My guess is it is worn. Looked for a parts breakdown for you, but the only site up did not have it.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    PS you can request a parts breakdown from the link below:
    http://partsandservice.com/html/Murray/st/
    Time2Ride Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 10:17 AM
    Mine has about the same problem.
    If you take the bottom plate off you will see a gear that looks like a bicycle sprocket.
    This is probably worn or the side plate that the shaft goes through is worn out letting the gear move out of contact with the drive gear.

Bob

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray Snowblower Issues [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Murray 5/24 snowblower. It will not move forward or back. What do I do?

Murray snowblower won't start. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a murray snowblower with electric starter. The starter is moving but not engaging with the blower. What can I do?

10Hp Murray snowblower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new 10Hp murray snowblower that I purchased last year from homedepot. What type of oil do I use. I know that it is NOT mixed with gas.

View more questions Search