Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cold_furnace Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2009, 10:47 AM
    Furnace Sometimes Blows Cold Air
    Hi, I have an older gas Furnace (8 yrs)? And it seems to run fine when we first turn it on via the Thermostat (ie, turn on, set temp to... ). Warm air blows out upon initial startup and maintains this heat up until the desired settings.

However as the hours and day goes, on, the thermostat of course, turns on the furnace again if the temperature falls below the set desired setting. When this happens, the air is normally cool or sometimes even cold, ---- and of course, if we're away for awhile, the house is actually colder than normal with the furnace running constantly blowing cold air.

We can usually fix this , but turning off the thermostat, waiting 10 minutes or so, and then turning it on. But ideally we'd like to live with a normal automated system :)

I'm willing and ready to bring in professional help, but was wondering if any experts on this board could provide some insight - maybe it is a quick fix?

Thanks

S
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 04:48 PM

Change your filter and clean your drain. It could also be a problem with the t-stat
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 05:06 PM
    Brand/model#? Check status LED on furnace, if present, when this occurs.
    Cold_furnace Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2009, 06:10 PM
    Hi

We've changed the filter a few times already and the problem still appears. Here are some pictures of our furnace. Thanks in advance...

What do you mean by drain?
    Attached Images

KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2009, 03:47 AM
    Pic #2 (yours), top-center shows the flame sensor. Remove & clean.
    Attached Images

loko9660 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 03:24 PM
    We've been going through this too and I've found a number of things that it could be, but after a furnace check up (for which they found nothing, but did eventually clean our sensor like the last poster suggests) and another service call yesterday where the most he did was blow out the drain and said it did seem a little clogged, it seems to be working normally today. (fingers crossed) I would definitely check the drain. The sensor is always a good thing to clean, but when we repeatedly had that with our old furnace, it just never came on until it was cleaned, whereas this problem was the cold air blowing like you suggest. If it starts acting up again, our next course of action is to have the blue ignition box replaced. I had found that a similar furnace to ours (Lennox) had the same problem and that was their solution. I asked about that and the tech tested it and did find it wasn't doing exactly what it should. However, with it working for now, we are waiting since the $75 service call is cheaper than the $250+ part replacement ($175 for the part and $75 service call). Good luck.
    loko9660 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2009, 11:31 AM
    Well, our furnace started blowing cold again, so I guess the part replacement is necessary. It is reassuring we are not the only people going through this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my furnace blows out cold air when it should be blowing out hot air? [ 7 Answers ]

Why does my furnace blows out cold air, when it should be blowing hot air?

Furnace blows cold air unless switched at furnace side [ 3 Answers ]

Hope someone can help: Anywhere below being set at 70 degrees, our furnace blows cold air once it reaches the desired temp. It blows, and blows, and it feels almost as cool as AC! I have to go physically to the actual furnace to switch the switch off and then on and it stops. The "fan" switch on...

Amana AMS8 blows cool air [ 2 Answers ]

Ever since having a new furnace installed, it has never actually put out HOT air... it blows cool air, gradually warming, but never actually warm. Until the fan stops, and then some warm air trickles out of the duct

Gas furnace Cycle Blows but no Flame [ 4 Answers ]

We have a Comfortmaker Furnace that is about 3 years old. It will act like it is going to turn on with the blower moter kicking on but the flame never turns on. Then the motor stops. Then about a minute later it repeats the cycle. It will do this for about 5-7 minutes several times a day. ...

Furnace blows cool air [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace is a bryant model-cacf030aza 5yrs old, natural gas,forced air the problem is that the air coming out of vents is cool air , we have central air, but we made sure that the thermostat was set to heat. In the furnace we do not see any fire at all. It is on and it blows but the air is cool...

View more questions Search