Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onemks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2006, 09:25 AM
    Drain Care - Root Kill
    My toilet overflowed. The plumber found the problem to be roots in the pipe leading to the septic tank. He recommended a root killer. I bought Drain Care Root Kill from Lowe's. My question is "is this product safe for pvc pipe?"

Will appreciate a quick reply.

Mary
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 25, 2006, 09:35 AM
    Hi Mary,

Yes, Drain Care Root Kill will not harm a plastic drain. Let me give you a few more options. RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer that contain Dichlobrnic are two products you could try.
    A less expensive way would be to call around to garden supply stores and ask for fine grain Copper Sulphate. Put a 1/2 pound in your toilet and flush it down. Repeat in 6 months.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 25, 2006, 12:33 PM
    Speedball,

Note what is your opinion of digging around the drain line and using rock salt. I was told this would take care it the issue for years, with one treatment.

But if roots are in the supply line to a septic tank, would there not also be some point where the roots have or will cause them to leak ?

And did you have the septic checked to be sure the roots are not in it.

And even worst, ( which is what all the digging around my place has been(
    Roots in the drain field.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 25, 2006, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Speedball,

note what is your opinion of digging around the drain line and using rock salt. I was told this would take care it the issue for years, with one treatment.

But if roots are in the supply line to a septic tank, would there not also be some point where the roots have or will cause them to leak ?

And did you have the septic checked to be sure the roots are not in it.

And even worst, ( which is what all the digging around my place has been(
    roots in the drain field.
    I wouldn't know about the rock salt Chuck, When we have a root intrusion we locate the break and dig it up and replace it. I live in a Metro Area that had septic tanks replaced with city sewers decades ago. If you have information about rock salt let me have it. I can't make much sense of digging down and locating a break in the line and then packing it in rock salt only to cover it back up without repairing it while you have it exposed.
    The chemical treatment I advise is only temporary relief until a repair or a new line can be installed. Hope your thanksgiving went well, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do not Murder vs Do not kill. [ 11 Answers ]

I was asked recently about Exodus 20:13 at another forum and promised to consider the matter here in order to keep the other thread on topic. Why is one preferable to the other and is it OK to translate the word involved as murder? I looked up the word in the Hebrew lexicon and it turns out that...

Hypothetical: Pray or kill? [ 19 Answers ]

A person is pinned under a truck which is on fire and slowly roasting him to death. You are the only one there and he begs you put him out of his misery. The place is isolated and no help will arrive. What would you do? Pray for him as he slowly dies in excruciating pain? Or put him out of his...

Root Systems [ 1 Answers ]

How about helping out a fellow expert,(plumbing page)? I live on the West coast of Florida. When Tropical Storm Gabriel came ashore a few days after 9/11 the combination of rain,(soggy soil) and wind toppled a Jacaranda Tree that was over fifty feet tall and forty eight years old. This tree has no...

If Looks Could Kill [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this movie with Richard Grieco on DVD? On mailorder if possible. Thanks :)

To Kill A Mockingbird [ 1 Answers ]

As groups, I've been assigned to do a themes wrap up timeline, our group has everything under control and complete, except there is one thing we're stumped on and would appreciate any help with. The final part to the assignment, is to find a Visual representation that comments on Morality and the...

View more questions Search