Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Darlene712 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jun 6, 2006, 02:36 PM
    My new puppy is sick! HELP
    Well I just got a new puppy about a week ago and he is about 4weeks old! And he started sneezing and vomiting and won't keep anything down!! And I don't have the money to take him to the animal hospital! SO I was wondering if anyone knew what I could do at home to help my puppy!! PLEASE HELP
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 6, 2006, 02:53 PM
    Well I have to be the bad guy here and say if you can't afford to take your pet to the vet, you shouldn't have one. 4 weeks is too soon to be away from the mom, I assume he hasn't had any shots, it could be any number of things.
    Only a VET can tell you for sure.
    wendyCA Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Jun 7, 2006, 10:04 AM
    Four weeks old? Surely that is a typo! Can you return him to his mother until he is 8 weeks old if you actually did type that correctly?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 7, 2006, 10:14 AM
    I agree with the others here. Please return him to his mother or if that is not possible, take him to a shelter ASAP. Your desire for a puppy should never override his needs.
    Darlene712 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jun 7, 2006, 11:16 AM
    Well The only reason HE is away from his mother so soon is that because the people who had the puppy moved to North Carolina and I live in Florida!
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 7, 2006, 11:27 AM
    Call the animal shelter nearest you and get instructions on how to care for a prematurely abandoned puppy. I had to do this once for abandoned kittens born under my deck (mamma cat was killed) and it was a lot of work. It was all about maintaining body temperature and feeding, feeding, feeding. And I hate to tell you but none of the kittens survived either.
    wendyCA Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Jun 8, 2006, 07:37 AM
    I'd hate to see this puppy unable to thrive. I can't think of a more painful experience than this.

There are things on the shelf such as products that are similar to a mother dog's milk. Ask the clerk. An eye dropper should be one of your first purchases.

Hopefully, this will be a lesson to you. Getting this dog to survive for the next three months is going to be a challenge.

Please do not take him into public places, don't let young children play with him and do not allow him to be overhanded as I am sure he looks like a little beanie baby.

Puppies this age need gentleness, calm and plenty of sleep and food and water. Again, I cannot stress that children need to be monitored when with this puppy. My neighbor's 3 yr old just broke her tea cup chihauhau's leg by playing with it like it was a toy. The dog looks so beat up, it is all I can do not to call the SPCA and report it. I cannot bear to visit them now.
    GREEENEYES729 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Aug 26, 2006, 09:57 PM
    This goes to Darlene712 and anyone else with a similar situation.
    Although I agree with the others the pup should not be away from the mom so early, there are a couple of thing you can do.
    1 Go to the local pet store of discount store (walmart, kmart, target) and stock up on puppy formula. Never give a puppy human or cows milk or formula.
    2. Keep the puppy's living area extremely clean, if the pup has a bacteria in it's feces smelling or eating it will only make things worse.
    3. Check the pups stool for worms. If you see any eggs worm the pup. He should be wormed at 2,3,4,6,8,and 12 weeks anyway. You can buy puppy wormer (make sure it says safe for puppies) for under ten dollars. Only 5ML (1 teaspoon) for up to ten pounds.
    4. You can call your local grain store AKA (farmers supply, feed store, horse supply store, etc... ) ask them if they have an 8 in 1 booster for puppies. It is the first vaccinations your pup needs. It come with 2 bottles and a needle you must mix them yourself and inject the pup under the skin. If you are afraid or squeamish ask the person at the store if they will do it for you. Or a friend with animal experience, or anyone who know how to give a shot (doctor, nurse, medical assistant etc.) The 8 in 1 only cost about $8-$11 depending on the store. You give the booster at 6 weeks then every 3-4 weeks until 12 weeks of age.
    5. Most importantly save some money and try to get that puppy to the vet. Talk to you local veterinarians, some with work out a payment plan with you, and others (although rare) will let you work off some of the bill by volunteering at their offices.
    Riley Wolf Dakota Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2006, 06:16 PM
    I completely agree with GreenEyes. That is great advice. If you live in Northern California There is a place called PetVet in Oakland and El Cerrito. There is a real Vet there 2 days a week at one location and two other days at the other one. They don't charge for the visit and the medicine is CHEEP! If my dogs or cats need drugs prescribed by their regular vet, I have them call it into PetVet because it is something along the order of 60-70% cheaper.
    I got a Malamute mix at 5 weeks of age about 5 years ago, Tundra. She had (from the start) Glaucoma, Cataracts, Arthritis, A sinus infection Skin problems, food allergies, etc. It was a painful existence going to a new vet each m =month, hoping and preying that someone will finally give me the right advise to finally cure my beloved Tundra. $20K and the better part of 5 years later, we never got it nailed. After general anesthetic over 6 times, probes, CAT scans biopsies, cultures, etc. for her whole poor life! On the 11/10/06 she fell asleep at the foot of my bed and on Saturday morning when I woke up she was dead. Despite her problems, she managed to be happy most of the time and she loved me as much as I did her. If I knew what she would have to go through I may have put her down back in 2001. Then I would have gone to the pound and adopted a healthy pup or dog who only needed me to live a healthy life. It sounds like this pup you have is real sick. When I first got Tundra I was calling vets to begin the long process of trying to diagnose her. This girl I spoke to on the phone at one of the vets I called said, "It sounds like you have an unhealthy dog that is going to be a problem her whole life.” I hung up -- "HOW COULD SHE SAY THAT TO ME,” I thought. Last week as I thought back I was shocked when I realized that she was the only one during Tundra's 4 short years that told me anything that would come to be right. 4 years -- What a waste. But it was worth it. Even though I can't think of tundra without my insides feeling like they are burning up, One day I will be able to remember her fondly. Please keep all this in mind before you try to undertake something that is beyond your powers. Sometimes the best thing you can do for a puppy is just let her go.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 24, 2006, 06:35 PM
    Please note that this post is almost 5 months old and the OP has not been back since June 7.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Nov 24, 2006, 06:42 PM
    I think it was horrible to tell an owner that they should euthanize, but sometimes the hard cold facts are just that. If you do not have the $ to properly care for this little one, then give him to someone that can provide for him.

Owning an animal is a privlage, not a right!

This puppy needs to go to the vet! If you can't afford it take it to the animal shelter. They can try to find a foster home or euthanize him. He is suffering if he is sick and not getting any supportive care.
    He is too young, no matter what the reason! He has worms, as ALL puppies do and needs to be dewormed. Which costs $. Puppy replacement milk costs $, and if this puppy has any chance he needs that as well as fluids and antibiotics.

You can try Pedilyte and babyfood, but that may only keep him alive until you can get him to the vet or find some $. Pawn shops, friends, and neighbors, rescues may help, check cashing places, or Care-Credit. Go to http://www.carecredit.com/patients/whatis.htm
    Good Luck
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 24, 2006, 06:43 PM
    Please note that this post is almost 5 months old and the OP has not been back since June 7.
    Riley Wolf Dakota Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2006, 07:13 PM
    I posted it for everyone. Can you advise me to a better place for my writings to be seen?
    Excon6969 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 24, 2006, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Darlene712
    Well i just got a new puppy about a week ago and he is about 4weeks old! and he started sneezing and vomiting and wont keep anything down!!! and i dont have the money to take him to the animal hospital! SO i was wondering if anyone knew what i could do at home to help my puppy!!! PLEASE HELP
    Sorry to here that, are you feeding it the wrong stuff? It might have parvo. I had a puppy that died from that.I wish you the best of luck with your puppy. Email me at [email protected] me how its doing =(
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Nov 24, 2006, 09:25 PM
    Way to go J-9... no sense us getting all worked up because something terrible happened 6 months ago. I;m glad you spotted that.

-Beth
    thelp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Well my dog had puppies before and that is way to soon to be away from its mother the only thing you can do is maybe bottle feed it with special puppy formula that can be found at a pet store
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 06:21 PM
    thelp, this notation is made in the same friendly vein as the other one you answered. Please look at the date of the original post honey. It is almost a year old. In all likelihood, Darlene will not receive your response.
    spaniel lover Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 02:23 PM
    I totally agree 4 weeks is way to young and could have any problem and this problem should be delt with before its 2 late!!

I hope everything works out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Help! Sick puppy won't eat... [ 9 Answers ]

We got a husky/lab pup on Friday afternoon from the local humane society. He had eating some on Friday, and very little on Saturday morning. Then we noticed he had worms after some diarreha. We gave him some worm med. And took him back to see the HS vet on Monday. They also gave us a antiboitic for...

Very sick puppy [ 4 Answers ]

My puppy is 2 months old and he has roundworms. I gave him deworming pills and now he won't eat at all. He didn't eat for a full day and now going on another day. He throws up at least every hour but he is still drinking lots of water. He is pooping out blood and a little bit of water sometimes. He...

My dad is very sick [ 6 Answers ]

Hey everyone. I just found out last night that my dad is in the hospital with Chronic Leukimia. According to the doctors they said that this is a very treatable disease and that the disease itself is non-aggressive. The only thing that I don't understand is that my father had no symptoms. Such...

My dog is sick! [ 5 Answers ]

Hey my dog won't eat he has blissters on his mouth he is running a temp and has a swollen gland and I need 2 noe what it is fast so please help!! :eek:

Sick puppy has Parvo... Questions... [ 2 Answers ]

Well my poor doggy for sure has Parvo and is in the hospital. I got the pet shop I bought him at to treat him. Apparently they are scared of the outbreak (and they didn't have him adequately vaccinated for a 12 week old puppy!) They were going to put him to sleep and refund my $250 for him...

View more questions Search