Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Schmoopdawg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2006, 09:36 AM
    Leaking Furnace
    I originally posted this under heating, but think it might be considered a plumbing question.

Hi all,

Here's the short story: I am getting some water coming out of my pressure release valve on my furnace.

Here's what I know:
    - The pressure release valve only goes off when the system gets to 30 psi, so it seems to be doing it's job.
    - The amount of water released is very consistently the same.
    - The "standing pressure" in the system is about 15 psi, so I'd guess that the pressure reduction valve coming into the system is working (and we even replaced that early on).
    - I thought it might be the expansion tank. I took it off the system and it seems to be holding at 12 psi. It also appears to be the tank recommended for our system. However, just for the heck of it, I did replace the tank with a larger tank, which is preset at 12 psi (I did not confirm it).
    - After we exchanged tanks I do see less water in my bucket in the morning (after the furnace has kicked in)

I have a two story house. Is my "standing pressure" of 15 psi too high?

I did discover that my Pressure Reducing Valve (Watts 1156F) can be adjusted, so I brought it down from 15 PSI to 12 PSI. The valve information says to determine vertical feet from THE VALVE to the top of the highest radiator. I was assuming you measured from the furnace. Given that, I'd say I probably go up around 15 vertical feet, which means that even 12 PSI could be a tad too much. Correct?

Thanks for anything you can offer! This will be my third winter in the house, and I am looking forward to not having to empty the bucket every morning!
    leftwinga Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Nov 23, 2006, 09:50 AM
    Do you also heat your hot water in your boiler via a coil? If so, Try closing the valve off to in the inlet of the coil for a while and moniter the pressure... the coil may have a pinhole, causing the boiler to be over fed via the coil. If that's the case.. you need a new coil.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Nov 23, 2006, 09:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmoopdawg
    I originally posted this under heating, but think it might be considered a plumbing question.

Hi all,

Here's the short story: I am getting some water coming out of my pressure release valve on my furnace.

Here's what I know:
    - The pressure release valve only goes off when the system gets to 30 psi, so it seems to be doing it's job.
    - The amount of water released is very consistently the same.
    - The "standing pressure" in the system is about 15 psi, so I'd guess that the pressure reduction valve coming into the system is working (and we even replaced that early on).
    - I thought it might be the expansion tank. I took it off the system and it seems to be holding at 12 psi. It also appears to be the tank recommended for our system. However, just for the heck of it, I did replace the tank with a larger tank, which is preset at 12 psi (I did not confirm it).
    - After we exchanged tanks I do see less water in my bucket in the morning (after the furnace has kicked in)

I have a two story house. Is my "standing pressure" of 15 psi too high?

I did discover that my Pressure Reducing Valve (Watts 1156F) can be adjusted, so I brought it down from 15 PSI to 12 PSI. The valve information says to determine vertical feet from THE VALVE to the top of the highest radiator. I was assuming you measured from the furnace. Given that, I'd say I probably go up around 15 vertical feet, which means that even 12 PSI could be a tad too much. Correct?

Thanks for anything you can offer! This will be my third winter in the house, and I am looking forward to not having to empty the bucket every morning!
    is the make up valve auto or man... may be it is leaking through , at 15 ft height it is about 6.5 lb (15 x 0.433)
    Schmoopdawg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2006, 09:40 AM
    Thanks for the reply. My manual tells me to multipy the height x 0.433 and then add 3 lbs.

Sorry, not quite following you on the first question about the make up valve. Based on what I am seeing, I believe both my pressure reducing valve (bringing the incoming pressure down to... no... 12 psi) and my pressure release valve (only going off when the pressure surpasses 30 psi) appear to be doing their job. Am I missing a valve?
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Nov 24, 2006, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmoopdawg
    Thanks for the reply. My manual tells me to multipy the height x 0.433 and then add 3 lbs.

Sorry, not quite following you on the first question about the make up valve. Based on what I am seeing, I believe both my pressure reducing valve (bringing the incoming pressure down to ... no ... 12 psi) and my pressure release valve (only going off when the pressure surpasses 30 psi) appear to be doing their job. Am I missing a valve?
    You have a manual make up then, is there a pressure gauge after the PRV; what it said, is there a valve before the PRV ( if you lucky there is one before and oneafter the PRV)... feed the water as told by the manuf , then shut off the make up, the make up should not feed constantly , unless there is a leak

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Something is leaking from my Furnace? [ 16 Answers ]

Came home and found pools of water in my basement, it surrounds my furnace and water heater.. It seems to me that it is coming from my furnace, could this be? I didn't know water could come from my furnace. How can I fix? I don't know too much about this type of thing, so if you could tell in...

Water leaking from bottom of furnace [ 4 Answers ]

Just noticed today that water is coming out of bottom of furnace. Not much but wondered if anyone knows what it could be. Its an older furnace, just regular kind. Water heater is about 1 foot behind the furnace. I've had the a/c running a lot because of hot weather. Could it have anything to...

Water leaking from humidifier into furnace [ 1 Answers ]

This morning I woke up and found water on floor in basement which seems to be coming from humidifier. Is my furnace ruined?:confused:

Gas furnace leaking water [ 3 Answers ]

Discovered water pooling out on to floor and dripping from within furnace--seemingly coming from furnace vent... there is quite a bit of rust that has formed which leads me to think its been going on for a while within the furnace but was not noticed till now after heavy rains, and the pooling...

Leaking furnace [ 8 Answers ]

My furnace (boiler) has a small drip coming from the soldered downtube of the backflow preventer valve. It drips about one drop every couple of minutes. The main line runs through the backflow preventer valve. The heat in my home has been fine (baseboard water). Is this something that I should...

View more questions Search