Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    delma2582 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2009, 09:10 AM
    I have lien on my land and am purchasing a home how much am I entitled to settle for?
    I am purchasing a home but there is a lien on my land. A judgment was placed back in 2001 in the amount of $1800 but is now $5900, what is a reasonable settlement amount?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 1, 2009, 10:27 AM

$5900! You reneged on a debt resulting in them having to sue you. Even after they obtained a judgment and placed a lien you still didn't pay. Now you can't sell your land until you satisfy the judgment. Do you really think they are going to settle? They have you completely over a barrel. There is no incentive at all for them to settle.

I doubt if they will accept anything less than the balance due in settlement. You can try offering 50% as a starting point, but don't be surprised if they refuse any offer less than the full balance.
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Dec 1, 2009, 05:40 PM

I agree with ScottGem. I doubt if even offering a settlement will help. The judgement will have to be taken care of before the land can be sold. The time for offering a settlement has long past, letting it go this far was the wrong thing to do.Also that $5900 will just continue to rise until you stasify that judgement.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 1, 2009, 06:45 PM

yes, if the lien is less than the value of the property, they may just wait till you sell and then get the money.

Again you may make a offer but after they have a lien, often that is too late to try and settle

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Entitled to any money from husbands purchase of home [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I have been separated for over 13 years. We never divorced but he bought a home with his girlfiend. If I get a divorce am I entitled to any of his half? Thank you.

Purchasing a new Home then BK [ 2 Answers ]

BASIC HISTORY: I live in Southern California and I am one of the "fortunate" one that is in the current mortgage ARM crisis. December 2008 my "fixed rate" ARM will then go adjustable. My mortgage is $3400.00/month - not including taxes or insurance. Houses in my area have been on the market for 8...

Purchasing Land & Building Office [ 3 Answers ]

My company is in the process of purchasing land to relocate one of our offices. We cashed in a CD to use as a downpayemtn for the land. We also sent to the towns planning board a check $300.00 for Review and $3700.00 for storm water escrow. My question since we are a general contractor and we...

Purchasing a home [ 2 Answers ]

How do I purchase a very expensive home by paying the back taxes ONLY?

View more questions Search