Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LaurenAlexxandra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2009, 09:11 PM
    can you write the skeleton and balanced equations together
    can they be in the same equation or do they have to be separate?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2009, 07:27 AM

I'm not even sure I understand the question.

The balanced equation contains everything about the stoichiometry of the reaction. The skeleton equation isn't usually balanced and may, possibly, not contain all of the reactants.

I would normally think that the balanced equation contains everything and, therefore, contains the skeleton. But I'm not sure if that's what your instructor thinks.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2009, 07:28 AM

You can have a balanced skeleton equation. Personally, I like to make two separate equations, both balanced.
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2009, 07:32 AM
    The balanced equation contains everything about the stoichiometry of the reaction. The skeleton equation isn't usually balanced and may, possibly, not contain all of the reactants.
    Hmm, not always in the case of organic reactions, where skeletal formulae are used. Because of the possible isomers, you can have different types of reaction. For example, methoxy methane and ethanol have the same molecular formula, but react differently to a carboxylic acid.

And if you have a long chain hydrocarbon, with many different functional groups, a skeleton equation gives a better 'view' of what is happening.
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2009, 08:14 AM

So the "skeletal equation" means the structural diagrams. OK. I can buy that. I've just never heard of them being called "skeleton" equations.
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2009, 08:18 AM

In fact, I'm not sure if it's called skeleton equation either... Maybe a typo from the OP and I thought it was called as such. However, I'm sure about the skeletal formulae.
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2009, 08:19 AM
    Something's slow with this site today.
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2009, 08:29 AM

Lol, I'm the slow one :p I'm on multiple boards! :eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewrite equations as balanced chemical equations [ 8 Answers ]

Magnesium chloride yield sulfur dioxide Calcium carbonate yields calcium oxide plus carbon dioxide Nitrogen plus hygrogen yield ammonia Hydrochloric acid plus sodium hydroxide yield sodium chloride plus water

Chemical word equations to skeleton? (chemistry) [ 1 Answers ]

I'm suppost to be turning chem word equations into skeleton equations. Am I doing it right? 1.aqueous barium nitrate reacts with sulfuric acid to yield a barium sulfate precipitate and nitric acid. BaN(aq)+H2SO4(aq)->BaSO4(s)+HNO3(aq)

Write a complete balanced skeleton chemical reaction equation from words [ 1 Answers ]

1.) Tin foil will oxidize when exposed to oxygen forming tin (II) oxide. 2.) When solid potassium is added to water, hydrogen gas and aqueous potassium hydroxide are produced. 3.) Solid calcium hydrogen carbonate reacts with hydrochloric acid to produce aqueous calcium chloride, water, and carbon...

Balanced equations and pH [ 1 Answers ]

Citric acid, H3C6H5O7, is present in citrus fruits. It is a triprotic acid (i.e. it can donate three protons per molecule in an acid-base reaction) with acid- dissociation-constant values of Ka1 = 7.4 x 10-4, Ka2 = 1.7 x 10-5, and Ka3 = 4.0 x 10-7. Write the balanced equations for the three...

Deriving chemical equations from balanced net ionic equations? [ 1 Answers ]

1.) NaCl (aq) + MnO2 (s) -------->Mn2+ (aq) + Cl2 (g) in H2SO4 2.) KCN (aq) + KMno4 (aq) --------> CNO- (aq) + MnO2(s) in KOH

View more questions Search