Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    windowslive15 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2009, 10:59 AM
    Can you get bail for Credit Card Fraud?
    What's the possibility of getting jail time for fraud at $4000 for first time offense?
    Is it still a first time offense if you're charged with multiple counts?
    If there is jail time, how much would bail cost for fraud at 4000.
    Is there bail for over 5000?

Nov 25, 2009, 11:20 AM

Sorry I misunderstood the meaning of bail.

I mean to ask: Can you pay money instead of serving jail time? Or are there alternative routes so that you don't have to serve jail time?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2009, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by windowslive15 View Post
    Sorry i misunderstood the meaning of bail.

I mean to ask: Can you pay money instead of serving jail time? Or are there alternative routes so that you don't have to serve jail time?
    Hello w:

In my city, you can exchange 30 days in jail for 240 hours of community service.

excon

Nov 26, 2009, 09:20 AM

Thanks excon, but I doubt the sentence would be 30 days more like 6 months. So can I exchange that for community service plus donations and other services?

I don't see why you would have to serve jail time for a crime that's not physically hurting anyone
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2009, 09:26 AM

Hello again, w:

Nope. 30 days is the max you can trade...

Chances, are though, with a good attorney, you won't do ANY jail time.

By the way, stealing DOES hurt people. I know, it LOOKS like you cheated some impersonal corporation... But, the corporation is owned by people like you and me, and you ripped them off.

Now, smoking POT is a true victimless crime.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 26, 2009, 07:40 PM

Ok, am I the only one to see the humor of this, he committed fraud and wants to pay money ( that is what he got doing the fraud) to pay instead of serving time.

Also may depend on how many counts, one or two courts or 100 counts will make the big difference.

Nov 27, 2009, 07:31 PM

So with a good lawyer I can avoid jail time for fraud over 5000?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 27, 2009, 07:36 PM

Well that just depends, what is the evidence they have, if they have proof you did it, beyond a doubt on several counts, you are not going to get off if all of the evidence gets in.

And then it depends does the DA want to deal, is the DA office having budge issues, or do you get a new DA that wants to make a name for thierself,
    Or perhaps is it election time for a DA who is going to brag about getting tough on crime and you are the case he is going to prove it on.

So a good attoreny will try and get evidencd thrown out, they will try and then file motions to try and mess up the DA office, challenging varoius witness or even challenging the way evidence was collected or results of tests.
    Now all of that is going to cost money, fiighting a serious case can run into the 10's of thousands of dollars.

But if they have good solid evidence, and the DA does not want to deal and you get a hard judge, a good lawyer is still a good attorney but you can't get off if they have you solid dead to right on the crime

Nov 28, 2009, 09:52 AM

I heard that because the cost to investigate these type of cases is too expensive they don't bother looking into them. Is that true
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2009, 10:13 AM
    i heard that because the cost to investigate these type of cases is too expensive they don't bother looking into them. Is that true
    Hello again, w:

If you listen long enough, you can hear anything...

No, it's not true. The cops LOVE to put people in jail. They don't care about saving money... They LOVE to convict them and put them in prison, too. Otherwise, how do you think we became the worlds LARGEST jailer? We didn't do it by scrimping on investigations, I can tell you that...

Get a lawyer. Or you can trust what you heard on the street.

excon

Nov 30, 2009, 07:00 PM

What are the chances of getting parole or probation? And when?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2009, 08:08 AM

We're all volunteers here - please give us some time to answer you before you post again.

This is impossible to say without knowing what State, your age, the total amount of the "fraud," your past record.
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2009, 08:40 AM
    what are the chances of getting parole or probation? and when?
    Hello again, w:

Couple things... You want absolute answers. There are none. Even if there WAS a book where we could look these things up, it wouldn't tell us if the judge has heartburn that day. It wouldn't tell us how angry the bank is, or how much community support you have. It wouldn't tell us the jillions of things that go into sentencing..

So, there IS NO answer to your questions... There is only what you can DO about it NOW. Having said, what I said above, you should get that what is going to happen to you is NOT WRITTEN IN STONE... It CAN be effected by what you DO today.

Your questions, as I indicated before, are BEST answered by your own attorney who HAS the benefit of knowing ALL those details that we don't. Plus, you'll have the added benefit of having him REPRESENT you in court.

So, instead of asking the same stuff over and over again, get on the phone and HIRE a lawyer. That is what's to do. It's the ONLY thing to do.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card fraud [ 3 Answers ]

My friend and I were caught buying stuff from Wal-Mart (toronto) on credit cards which did not belong to us... the cards had my friends name on them but did not belong to him... I used two of the cards to buy some stuff myself ($1200) and the rest of the cards were used by my friend to buy items...

Credit Card Fraud [ 1 Answers ]

I recently turned myself in for fraudulent use of a credit card (less than $500). The detective investigating my case told me that since I have no prior run ins with the law, since I turned myself in, and since this was a non-violent crime, he doesn't think I'll get jail time but its up to the...

Credit card fraud [ 13 Answers ]

Hi my sister got into a situation at one of her former employers... where she was using ppls credit card numbers to purchase gift cards... equaling a total of 2,200 dollars and at the time of her getting caught with security she had giving them back 732.00 worth of gift cards which the security...

Credit card fraud [ 3 Answers ]

I transferred 3300 from my job to my credit card with false refunds. I want to pay it back in full now. Its my first offense. Will I go to jail?:confused:

Credit Card fraud [ 8 Answers ]

I paid off a credit card last yr and 3-4 months later the credit card company reopened my account without my consent. I later had to get my credit report pulled to then realize that I was 30 days late for payment. Automatically a red flag went up because I never pay my bills late and guess what,...

View more questions Search