Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SheBurns Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2009, 06:16 AM
    Coleman Evcon EB17B electric furnace - filters & door
    Hi,

My furnace is around 11 years old and works great, it's built into the bottom of a framed space in the utility room with a large vent above it. Just cleaned it out today, along with all the floor ducts in the house. Vacuumed and dusted the unit itself and installed 2 fresh filters in the slots at the top of the metal frame, which is always done regularly, but I just found a thick plastic mesh type filter way up above them that I had never seen before. It was beyond filthy with sawdust from a remodeling done here recently so I took it outside to hose it off and it's a lot better, but is stained and very faded in places. Can it be soaked and washed out with soap or should it just be replaced?

Also, I think that the top of the door should fit flush into the wood framing, but I can't put it back that way. There's now a 1" gap above the door and cold air blows out of it when the furnace is running. The top front of the metal frame has a lip which a lip on the back of the door hooks onto, and that's the only way it goes together for me. My late husband always had trouble closing it too, and I can't spend $100 just to get a serviceman here to fool with the door. Am attaching a picture of the top corner of the credibility gap. :p Can someone please tell me if there should be that much space between the top of the door and the framing? If not, how can I fix it, or will it hurt anything to leave it alone?

Thanks for your time, and any help you can give me. Please have a great day, and Happy Holidays!

Barbara
    Attached Images

hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 24, 2009, 08:17 AM
    Read page 4 of this document about the install of your furnace. It mentions 200 sq inches above your furnace for thr cold air return. You should have a grill work above this furnace so it can draw in return air but you did not show that part in the picture.

http://www.acdirect.com/images/coleman/pdf's/pdf2.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coleman EVCON Central Electric Furnace [ 4 Answers ]

Model EB10B The problem I have is that the furnace runs fine during the day kicks off and on keeps house warm. (Mobile Home) Then sometimes in the evening the thermostat shows system on but furnace not running, and like this morning I woke up and the thermostat was set @70 and house was 60. What I...

Coleman Evcon Electric Heat/Air unit filter placement [ 7 Answers ]

We live in a rented mobile home in Texas; the landlord requires us to change filters once a month in the heat/air unit, which is a Coleman Evcon. (There is no model number visible.) The filters were sitting tilted along the side, inside the case, when we moved in. We have lived here over a year and...

Coleman Evcon electric furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Coleman Evcon electric furnace in a mobile home I rent. Recently a wire had burned off which caused it to produce no heat. After they sent a repair man to work on it I now seem to not have as much air force coming out of the registers. Also it takes 20 minutes to raise the temperature one...

Blower during furnace operation on electric Coleman Evcon [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a programmable thermostat for an electric Coleman Evcon furnace. Now when the furnace comes on the blower also comes on. Sometimes the blower goes off a minute or so before the furnace stops. It never did this before- in fact I didn't even know there was a blower. Do I need to...

Coleman Evcon electric furnace [ 1 Answers ]

How do I know or rather how can I check to see if the repairman cut off one of the heating elements and where are they located?

View more questions Search