Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    the12thofnever Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Bidding on interior house painting
    How do I bid on painting the interior of a house - ceilings, walls and trim in SW OK? I have looked at the property and measured each room carefully. Thanks
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Nov 4, 2007, 05:19 PM
    3.00 a ft
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 11:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by the12thofnever
    How do I bid on painting the interior of a house - ceilings, walls and trim in SW OK? I have looked at the property and measured each room carefully. Thanks
    Are you looking for how much to charge and how to go about preparing and giving a written bid to a customer? It would help to know what specifically you are asking in order to give you the best answer.

If you are asking specifically about prices, I don't know what the prices might be in Southwest Oklahoma. But, being that you are closer to Texas, I would suspect that the prices might be higher than where I live and work.

One of the things that I do for a living is that I am a house painter. Around where I live and work, the going rate per square foot is about .70 cents for the application of two coats on a wall with a roller and doing the edges with a brush. That is for an absolutely flat surface area. For the trim, I use a brush. The rate for that is about $1.25 per linear foot for two coats.

Neither of these prices quoted above include the cost of materials used, surface preparation, priming if needed or the paint used. As to the rates where you are, I don't know. For anything other than the painting, I would charge an hourly rate that I would like to make and figure roughly how many hours it might take for me to do additional work other than the painting itself.

In terms of how as compared to what price to bid, if that might also be part of what you are asking, I have a form that I made up as a Microsoft Excel sreadsheet. All of my quoted prices and the reasons I am charging what I am are on the spreadsheet. Doing things this way makes the bidding process look very professional.
    handybob119 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2009, 03:59 PM

I'm in Colorado how much per square foot to re-paint interior
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 09:28 PM

Gentlmen, I say this with the utmost kindness and no intent to insult anyone. However when someone asks how to bid a job I know immediately he is not a professional painter. Do you want us to tell you how much a pro would charge, cause you can't charge that same rate for reasons stated. If you are a handyman then chrage your hourly rate.
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2009, 01:40 AM
    Old, now archived thread that isn't readily visible anymore when people come to the site, unless they go to the particular forum topic area.

If a person wants to ask a new question, then it would be best to be starting a new thread.

I agree with you ballengerb1, that when someone asks about how much to bid on a job, that most likely, they haven't had much experience, if at all, doing what they're wanting to do.

So, it would be helpful, when people do post questions about bidding, to have as much specifics as possible concerning who is doing the work, how much experience they've had and also all of the particulars concerning the job at hand.

There are many, many factors to be considered when undertaking any kind of paint job.

Thanks!
    pillow85 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2009, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by the12thofnever View Post
    I use my rough measurements only for figuring material. When I bid a painting job I go from room to room and look at what needs to be done and figure how long it takes 2 guys to prep, prime, 1st coat, 2nd coat. And in this case I would figure then how long it would take for the trim also. I have never heard of any painters in my area that price by the ft. Once u figure how long its going to take for each of these stages you can then calculate with your going hr/rate a price. If there is ever the opportunity to use a paint sprayer on like new construction, I highly suggest that if u have had experience on one. And of course if u have an hr of driving involved u better make sure u include some overhead or fuel will be eating on your profitts right there. That's just how I do a paint job, hope that helps.
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2009, 11:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pillow85 View Post
    I use my rough measurements only for figuring material. When I bid a painting job I go from room to room and look at what needs to be done and figure how long it takes 2 guys to prep, prime, 1st coat, 2nd coat. And in this case I would figure then how long it would take for the trim also. I have never heard of any painters in my area that price by the ft. Once u figure how long its going to take for each of these stages you can then calculate with your going hr/rate a price. If there is ever the opportunity to use a paint sprayer on like new construction, I highly suggest that if u have had experience on one. And of course if u have an hr of driving involved u better make sure u include some overhead or fuel will be eating on your profitts right there. Thats just how I do a paint job, hope that helps.
    Hi, pillow85!

If you don't charge based upon the square or linear foot, then how do you justify your price as being definitive and equal when going from customer to customer, please?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to correctly bid on interior and exterior house painting jobs [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am looking for help on how to correctly bid on painting jobs. Maybe a formula that is more accurate then the one I use and don't feel confident with. Thanks for any help,J.C.

How to bid on painting the interior of a house [ 1 Answers ]

I've been asked to primer,paint,and stain and varnish the interior walls and trim of a new Constructed house.It is 5300 sq.feet.How much should I charge.I live in Eastern Ky.

Painting interior walls [ 2 Answers ]

Does painting an interior wall with two coats of paint instead of only one change the color. For example, does it make the wall color darker, deeper, etc. If the wall color is brighter than you expected, will two coats of paint darken the color a little? Or are you just stuck picking another...

Interior Painting Bid [ 4 Answers ]

I am going to paint the interior of 3 apartments and I want to know how much to bid a 1 bedroom apartment 644square feet? I want to know how much to bid a 2 bedroom apartment 844 square feet? I want to know how much to bid a 3 bedroom apartment 960 square feet? Thanks

View more questions Search