Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smileydoodle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 05:50 AM
    How to evict an adult child from home?
    Hello - My 18 yr old son needs to figure out life on his own. High school drop out, no job or motivation. He is 6' 4'' and refusing to budge - so how do I go about legally evicting an adult child from family home? Thanks for your advice...
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2007, 05:59 AM
    Give him a written notice to vacate the property, 30 days, if he does not leave, call the police and have him removed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 1, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Do a search on Tough Love. You will find some resources to use this technique. Rent a storage facility. If he hasn't moved by the set date (see 1st response), move his stuff into the facility and change the locks. When he shows up give him the key to the storage facility and the bill.
    tmwp2000 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smileydoodle
    Hello - My 18 yr old son needs to figure out life on his own. High school drop out, no job or motivation. He is 6' 4'' and refusing to budge - so how do I go about legally evicting an adult child from family home? Thanks for your advice....
    I understand your situtian, I had a daughter like that only she went and got herself progo.
    What I did, when she left, I changed all the locks, changed the phone number, and left her a note on the door with all her belongings on the front porch.

She is doing great now, her life is back on track now. She is now twenty years old. Touch love.;)
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 1, 2007, 07:59 AM
    I would give him a 3 month window to find a job, save money for rent and living expenses, and to get himself together. Remind him every week that he only has X weeks left...

If, after 2 months, he's not doing anything, I'd follow Mr. Yet's advice and givwe him 30 days notice.

If, the last week, he's still not doing anything, I'd follow Scott's advice and get his possessions out of your house so that he has no reason to resturn.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2007, 11:26 AM
    I have done it both ways, one son, came home and found his clothes in plastic bags, and the locks changed, he lived in his car a few nights, with some friends and figured out he had to get a job,

Move forward, son with girlfiend and two kids move in for a week, which turned into a month, I paid their living expeneses two months for an apartment to get on their own again.

Both worked great,
    karasuma Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2007, 10:23 PM
    Squatters are a problem, however some are more sticky then "just change the locks". What happens when they don't go out of the house at all, like a certain ex-boyfriend of mine (hence the ex) did to his poor parents.

The solution? Start walking around naked, kids can deal with anything but a naked parent :)

Seriously? Stop making your house look so good. Lock the fridge, embarrass friends, remove the computer, get a password for your phone to call out. Hey, if there's one powder room for them to use the washroom at least, even lock the shower room. The only reason they're staying at home is the free ride. Make an arrangement to have them pay rent and costs to gain these back (slowly at first of course) and they'll gradually realise they're paying MONEY and still living with the 'rents. It'll get them moving, and you don't have to deal with the whining and therapy bills.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2007, 10:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by karasuma

The solution? Start walking around naked, kids can deal with anything but a naked parent :)
    This made me laugh. But I bet it does wonders.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 8, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Your son has known for a long time that you want him to leave. He hasn't done it. Telling him you want him to leave in one month or three months isn't going to do any good. If it would have worked, he would have been gone already.

If your city has a YMCA or a motel in an area close to businesses, give him the address and the key to his new bedroom. Pay a month or two in rent. Tell him you love him and know it is best that he get out on his own. If this take the police to help him out the door, so be it.
    punkin45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by karasuma
    Squatters are a problem, however some are more sticky then "just change the locks". What happens when they don't go out of the house at all, like a certain ex-boyfriend of mine (hence the ex) did to his poor parents.

Seriously? Stop making your house look so good. Lock the fridge, embarrass friends, remove the computer, get a password for your phone to call out. Hey, if there's one powder room for them to use the washroom at least, even lock the shower room. The only reason they're staying at home is the free ride. Make an arrangement to have them pay rent and costs to gain these back (slowly at first of course) and they'll gradually realise they're paying MONEY and still living with the 'rents. It'll get them moving, and you don't have to deal with the whining and therapy bills.
    Love it... maybe that is what I will do
    missmarple Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Just get him OUt Out OUT
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 18, 2007, 11:37 AM
    In this case you don't have to evice because he's not a tenant. Rent a storage locker and move his stuff into and then change the locks.
    micad224 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 09:26 AM
    Are you kidding me. All these are great answers but tell that to the police. My son has distroyed my home, called me names, pushed me around. We have had him arrested only to come back because the police said he is only 20 and I'm responsible for him until he is 21. Then we need to get an eviction notice to get him out. But then they said you can only evict someone if they are paying rent, which he is not. My husband and my son are getting into serious fights. I call the cops and they tell him to leave for a short time and then he's back. Nothing works!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What do I need to do to evict a person living in my home ? [ 14 Answers ]

My son lives in a rental property of mine. He allowed a young woman to move in with him. He has asked/told her to move out. She has refused. She does not pay rent and never has - her name is not on the lease. What steps can I take to evict her legally from the premises in the state of...

Adult son,evict from my home [ 15 Answers ]

How can I evict my 29 year old son out of my house

How to Evict 19 Year Old Step Daughter From Home [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Georgia with my husband and his two grown children (ages 22 and 19) for the last 10 years. The 19 year old is into drugs and drinking and is constantly laying out of work (if she even has a job) and bringing her drug friends into our home when we are not there. There is evidence she...

How to evict renters after buying a home [ 4 Answers ]

I am purchasing my mother in-laws home. I am closing in three weeks. If I close on Feb 28th, is it possible for me to evict my mother in-law's current roommate? She has no lease and has been living there since Nov.-05. Can I kick her out on Feb. 28th?

Adult Child evicted from home? [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone know how, in GA, to be sure you can evict your 18-year old drug abusing adult son? I am told that merely telling him to leave (done) and changing the locks (done) is not sufficient. Thanks.

View more questions Search