Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    volntitan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2006, 05:54 PM
    Outlets not working!! Help!
    Hi...

I came home today and the outlets in our bonus room aren't working. I checked the breaker and nothing was tripped. Then I went searching for the GFI outlets. All of them were fine except the one in the bathroom nearest the bonus room. Here is the issue: On that outlet, the power works. BUT I cannot test or retest the outlet. When I push in the "Test" button, it doesn't trip. Same with the "Reset" button. It just pushes in but nothing happens. Again, it won't "test" but there is power going to that outlet (I plugged in something into it and it works). Could that be causing the outlets in the other room not to work?

Please Help!!
    corriehac Posts: 87, Reputation: -1

Nov 20, 2006, 06:12 PM
    Sounds like you have a bad outlet. Wich can cause a break in the circuit. This is what happened at our house . Check the local yellow pages for a good elc.

Nov 20, 2006, 07:40 PM
    Shouldn't I be able to just go get a new GFI and replace it myself? Is it that difficult?

Thanks!
    corriehac Posts: 87, Reputation: -1

Nov 20, 2006, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by volntitan
    Shouldn't I be able to just go get a new GFI and replace it myself? Is it that difficult?

Thanks!
    No not at all your local hard ware store will be glad to help you. I use ace and Lowe's.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2006, 08:17 PM
    Replacing a GFCI is no big deal if you can read and follow directions. I would do some more checking first. Breakers sometimes are tripped, but don't look tripped. Try to figure out which one might control the dead outlets, and turn it all the way to off and back on. If that doesn't help, shut the breaker off to the bathroom. Then pull GFCI out. If it only has 2 wires to the line side, and not the load, it is not supplying the bonus room. If it does have wires to the load terminals, remove them, turn the power back on, and try test and reset again. If it still doesn't work, likely it is bad. Don't buy a new one until tkrussel confirms it. If you do remove the GFCI, keep careful track of where each wire was and put them back where they were. Line is the hot feed, and load is anything fed from it which will also be GFCI Protected. If there are more wires connected to line, what ever they feed are not GFCI protected.

Nov 20, 2006, 09:53 PM
    Thanks. I went down and flipped all the breakers on and off to be sure and it didn't do anything. With the Holidays coming and a house full of folks... including sports fans to watch ball games... yep you guessed it, in the bonus room... I wanted to try to fix something asap. I can't imagine what else it could be to have all the plugs (about 9) around the outside walls in one room to be down and to have the one GFI that is right off the bonus room, have it's reset/test buttons not work. A GFI can't be that much, I hope. Cheaper than trying to get an electrician out 2 days before Thanksgiving...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2006, 03:49 AM
    Should test the line input at the GFI to be sure there is 120 volts across the black and white feed. As labman stated, do not lose track of which wires are which.
    If there is no power to the GFI the test and reset buttons will not work, and indicates a loose connection ahead of the GFI in the circuit wiring.

If you just buy a GFI and replace it, and then find there is no power, you just wasted that money. A new GFI only costs about $10-15, and not a bad idea to have a spare in stock.

If no power to the GFI then check the next working outlet that feeds the GFI looking for a loose connection.
    ThisSucks7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 11:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Should test the line input at the GFI to be sure there is 120 volts across the black and white feed. As labman stated, do not lose track of which wires are which.
    If there is no power to the GFI the test and reset buttons will not work, and indicates a loose connection ahead of the GFI in the circuit wiring.

If you just buy a GFI and replace it, and then find there is no power, you just wasted that money. A new GFI only costs about $10-15, and not a bad idea to have a spare in stock.

If no power to the GFI then check the next working outlet that feeds the GFI looking for a loose connection.
    I have a similar problem to the OP's. Everything is the same except that the non-operating outlets are in the garage. The GFI outlet works but the reset/test buttons don't do anything (ie, pushing test doesn't make the reset button pop) and there are 120 volts running. Are loose connections still an option?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 03:32 AM
    Sounds like a bad GFI receptacle to me.
    lynn4202 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2011, 12:47 PM
    Living room one out let works an two do not an a light switch how do I fix them
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 1, 2011, 01:59 PM
    Turn off power. Remove one of the non-working outlets. If the outlet is wired using the "quick connect" holes in the back, remove all wires and put under corresponding screws. Do the same for all other outlets including the working outlet and switch.
    CAT 5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2013, 11:39 AM
    I have a different spin on a similar problem that I am having. My living room power just stopped working all of a sudden. I do not have any GFI recepticals in that room. Should I replace all of the recepticals that do not work?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 20, 2013, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CAT 5 View Post
    I have a different spin on a similar problem that I am having. My living room power just stopped working all of a sudden. I do not have any GFI recepticals in that room. Should I replace all of the recepticals that do not work?
    First, if you have a multi-meter, verify that the breaker is outputting power. If you don't have a meter, push the breaker as far as you can towards the off position, then turn it on.

Sometimes a breaker will not throw itself all the way to the off position.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2013, 07:10 AM
    No need to replace all the outlets that are not working, most likely there is a loose connection at one of the receptacles, usually at the last one on the circuit that is working.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New outlets [ 6 Answers ]

How many outlets per new circuit?

Outdoor outlets not working. HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Here's my dilemma: I have 3 ooutdoor outlets along the back of my property. As far as I know all have worked up until this morning. There was a terrible storm yesterday where flooding, high wind and long periods of down pours were present; now none of the electrical outlets are working. I...

Outlets not working, idiot needs help [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, we have a rather new house (3 years) and one day the outlet on our kitchen island stopped working. I checked the other outlets around the kitchen and found out that there was another one that was not working. After asking around I was told to check the following things in this order:...

Outlets not working [ 3 Answers ]

I posted a question a couple months ago about some outlets that aren't working in my house. I have done some further investigating and here is what I know as of now. The outlets that do not work are all on the same circuit - with the exception of one which is outside in the backyard. I have...

Outlets not working [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a new home and it seems that some of the outlets in our house have stopped working since we've moved in. They are just regular outlets in the living room and also the outside outlets are not working. Is this a problem for a licensed electrician or is there something I can do to fix...

View more questions Search