Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetyamb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2009, 02:58 AM
    Do I need a business licence to start up a marriage bureau from home UK?
    Hi,

My friend is planning to start up a marriage bureau from home, and she was wondering if she needs to get a business licence? If yes where does she get one from?

Thanks for your help

Best wishes,
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 10, 2009, 03:32 AM

I don't know how marriage bureaus work in the UK. What exactly do they do ? If money is collected and tax charged, then yes, business license is appropriate.

Tick

Nov 10, 2009, 05:46 AM
    Hi tickle,

Thank you for you reply, she will just introduce couples, wishing to marry, exchange contact numbers etc...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 10, 2009, 06:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetyamb View Post
    Hi tickle,

Thank you for you reply, she will just introduce couples, wishing to marry, exchange contact numbers etc............
    If she is not charging for this and just doing it out of the 'goodnes of her heart', I would say she doesn't need a business license, she is just a matchmaker.

Edit: She should check with her town hall, or whever licenses are granted.

Tick
    bugmenotagain Posts: 12, Reputation: 2
    -

Dec 2, 2009, 08:57 PM
    If they are based in the UK there is no such thing as a "business licence" however they may need to register with other official agencies dependent on their specific circumstances. If they plan on being a sole trader then all you have to do is register with your local tax office as being self employed. If personal data is held on record they might also need to register with the Information Commissioner. For anything bigger they might need to register with companies house.

Starting a small business off in the UK is very very simple as the government actively encourages it, just so long as you make sure that you inform the relevant agencies.

You might want to contact your local Citizen advice office or Business link, both offer free advice and can point you in the right direction.

Another excellent resource is The Prices Trust, they hold free courses, help with business plans and also help with getting funding.

Dec 3, 2009, 09:13 AM
    Hi bugmenotagain,

Thank you for your response, it was really helpful. Have a great day.
    anushree7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2012, 11:01 PM
    Can tell me in brief what are steps for setting up a marriage bureau. (Hindu Matrimony)

Is there a license required? In Goa , India

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I file a landlord complaint with the Better Business Bureau? [ 5 Answers ]

I am in court now, I am suing my landlord for my security deposit, only gave one-third of it, I want to report and place them with the Better Business Bureau. How do I inform potential tenants of this particular landlord?

How to start a home-based business [ 2 Answers ]

How do you start your home-based business what's the first step in starting your own business

How do I start a home based business [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know how to start a home based business in orange county California. I am trying to start a new business in indoor plant maintenace but I don't know where to begin.::confused:

How to get a licence to start a painting business [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently worked for a painting contractor for about 4 years and learnt so much about painting and now I want to start my own business. I believe I need to have a licence to start a painting business I really want this wish come true - I have search through the internet all websites but...

View more questions Search