Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danlmetzler Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2006, 11:09 AM
    GE Frige not dispensing water
    I have a GE GSH25S side by side that stopped dispensing water but is still making ice. I've confirmed that I can get water out of the line at the bottom of the unit where the water line enters the freezer door, which would lead me to the conclusion that the water line could be frozen inside the door.

The last time it stopped working it was due to debris (a rock) plugging the line at the wall outlet.

I've tried to heat the area of the dispenser with a hair dryer without success. If I insert a piece of wire up the line from the bottom of the door it stops about three feet in. The wire when inserted down the line from the dispenser opening stops about three inches in. Could it be some debris plugging the line here, and if so how would I clear it?

Should this just be an open line from the bottom of the door to the dispenser? (In other words no switches or valves). Should I attempt air or water pressure from the dispenser opening down to the open line at the bottom of the door?

Thanks, Dan.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2006, 04:37 PM
    Check the dispensing lever and the solonoid. You can switch wires on soloniod to see if water dispenses or ohm it out. It should read 200-500 ohms
    danlmetzler Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2006, 07:09 AM
    Thanks for the tipes Esquire1, I appreciate it.

In my case I had water downstream of the water valve, and I found the line in the door to be frozen. Heated it up a bit and a half hour later I had water again.

Now the question is why did it freeze up after working fine for two years?

A quick search comes up with a lot of information about class action lawsuites against GE for their refrigerators!

Thanks again for the response.

Dan.
    captnron Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2009, 06:45 PM
    Dan, did you post a mast column repair article awhile back on catalina tech library site? If so I have a few questions as I have the same problem with my 1980 boat. If you still have your boat I may have some ideas for you that I used on my boat. I would be happy to share fixes etc. with you. [email protected] hope to hear from you.eddie
    bustedfrige Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2010, 05:39 AM

This is a common problem with GE side by side refrigerators where the water line freezes in the door. It happened to mine and I spent good amount of time trying to fix it. Ya, it stinks that GE won't fix it but fortunately they have a water line heater that fixes it for $30 and 15 minutes. I noticed a lot of other people having the same issue so I blogged the symptoms, part and the fix. You can read about it here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Brown hot water in tub/ and cloudy water in well [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought a new house. It has an electric RHEEM hot water heater and I am running it on a well. 1st question about the well cold water is cloudy and I have run the well for 3 straight days. The well is 181 ft deep. Is there a way to get ride of the cloudy water? 2nd My hot water...

Luke warm water from hot water tap [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a condo (efficiency) that was converted from a motel. I 've had and have problems with hot water in taps. The unit is old and the feed pipes from the hot/cold water supplies are not accessible. Last year all I got was luke warm water from the shower and two taps in the unit. I had a...

View more questions Search