Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nise5280 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Nov 6, 2009, 03:30 AM
    Why is my cat walking in circles?
    My 18 yr old female Choc. Himalayan cat has begun walking in circles. Is this a sign of her age; dimentia; some kind of stress or distress about something I am not seeing? On her way through a room she will just stop, do 3-6 circles & then resume her journey across the room. Please help! Thank you
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2009, 03:37 AM

Usually cats like to follow the smell of other cats.
    In your case your cat is following its own smell.
    There is nothing to worry about.
    I would, however, consider in bringing in
    Another cat for company.
    tany072075 Posts: 57, Reputation: 4

Nov 6, 2009, 04:47 AM

If she's never done this before and considering her age, I would strongly suggest getting it checked out.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2009, 05:04 AM

Could she have fleas you don't know about or something that is making her itch?

As you stated there is pet dementia.

Aw gees that sucks but ,you had a long time,she is one old girl .

Its time to see a vet or hold her and tell her its OK to go.

Nov 6, 2009, 05:59 AM
    ROLCAM, Thank you-- this does make some sense... and my husband did bring home a 'companion' kitten when she lost her life companion (cat) @ 4 yrs ago. They're just now becoming good friends.

artlady, I live in the Rocky Mtns... to much altitude for any fleas... she's not scratching, & no I didn't state dimentia--I'm wondering if this is a sign of dimentia. She is of otherwise great physical health. No, it's not time to go to the vet, ty... but I won't hesitate when her quality of life calls for it.

tany072075, Thank you also! Your response pretty much mirrors what goes through my mind when I watch her... she's a great, cranky little old lady (but very cool!) until 'Sybil' takes the switch & she does some circles... then turns back into my cat. Thank you again... Off to the vet for a checkup we shall go...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2009, 07:02 AM

Hello Nice:

My old pooch did that. It was a brain tumor. He had a good life. So has your cat.

excon

Nov 6, 2009, 12:21 PM
    excon, woa. Okay. I asked because I wanted to know the possibilities, so I do appreciate your answer. And yes, she has has. I hear 18 years aren't too common for a cat. Thx again, Nise5280.
    tany072075 Posts: 57, Reputation: 4

Nov 7, 2009, 04:10 AM

Let us know what you find out. I'm glad you're going to take her to the vet. Hope its not anything serious.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2009, 08:13 PM

That could very well be some neurological thing, so yes, the vet is in order. I'd be curious what happened if you took her.

In my mind, 18 is not that unusual, because there are so many things that can be done these days to allow cats to live that long -- and I happen to hang around with a lot of people who know and do these things. So I'm watching cats living longer and longer. While that is a good age to get to, it doesn't really surprise me a whole lot either.

I hope she sees at least 19. :-)
    shravan1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2011, 01:18 AM
    My 5 week old kitten, Chip fell one entire floor about 10 feet and has a huge lump on his head. After this he too started walking in circles, he's very unresponsive and his head tilts to one side. Has your cat fallen anywhere and hit his/ her head?
    Thanks,
    Shravan
    kiwikitty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2012, 09:24 PM
    My 9 year old Tortie girl has been randomly walking in circles for the last one or two years. Always the same direction and she seems stuck in the circles. Sometimes she wants to turn to the left, but can't and she'll just turn right until she heads that way. At times, she'll cry out as she circles, obviously distressed. She'll knock into objects and walls or fall off sofas and beds. It usually only lasts a few minutes.

She has had a full medical check-up and her senior blood-work done and is completely fine. I showed a video to my vet of one of her episodes and the vet believes it might be hydrocephalus, but she will need to see a neurologist to be sure.

I hope your kitty turned out to be okay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dark under eye circles [ 9 Answers ]

Im only 15 and I already have these anoying bags under my eyes that won't go away!! I think there genetic because both my brother and sister have them to. THere both darker than me, so you don't notice their bags hardly at all. I need some advice on how to make them go away. I get lots of sleep,...

Cat walking around in circles some triping on his back legs [ 2 Answers ]

My cat he is a persain purebreed and he is 18 or 19 years old. I think that he is going blind. Over the past few days I have acsedentaly steped on his tail or foot about 4 or 5 times. The other night my computer was out on the floor and he got tangled in it and he keeped walking forward the he...

My cat constantly circles. [ 4 Answers ]

A few weeks ago I noticed that my 7 yr old tom had developed an increased requirement for water. I cought him drinking out of plant pot bases, the shower after it had been used and even the toilet. I took him to the vets who diagnosed a kidney problem, and prescribed a course of drugs accordingly....

Under eye circles [ 2 Answers ]

Hi.. im 22 yr old girl from india. I've dark circles under my eyes. Can you suggest some ways to control? Also I'm using under eye creams. But little use. I sleep well and my diet habits are also good...

Under eye circles (red) [ 2 Answers ]

Please help me.. I have noticed in this forum and others around that people are in a similar situation that I am in - I have under eye circles. However, predominantly people have been mentioning dark, bruise-like colors under their eyes, whereas I have bright red marks under mine. I am only...

View more questions Search