Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crickey464 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2009, 10:34 AM
    Coverting a gas mobile home to electric
    I just bought my daughter a used mobile home and it has a gas furnace, stove and hot water heater. I am not familiar with gas at all. I grew up with all electric. I am concerned with the gas so I was wondering if you can convert it to all electric. How expensive would the cost be to covert and then how economical would they be after converted. I would appreciate any info on this subject.

Thanks,

Angie
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2009, 10:52 AM

To "convert" a gas stove and a gas water heater to electric is not possible. All new wiring would have to be installed in the mobile home. The same for the gas furnace. Right now you'd be looking at replacing all gas appliances and furnace and hiring an electrician to do the wiring job with dedicated circuit lines to each appliance. You'd be looking to spend a small fortune to do this.

Why would you purchase a mobile home that is already hooked up to gas with gas appliances thinking you could just "convert" the house to an all electric house? There are all electric mobile homes built. Should have purchased one of them. They are more efficient in the long run.

Nov 3, 2009, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    To "convert" a gas stove and a gas water heater to electric is not possible. All new wiring would have to be installed in the mobile home. The same for the gas furnace. Right now you'd be looking at replacing all gas appliances and furnace and hiring an electrician to do the wiring job with dedicated circuit lines to each appliance. You'd be looking to spend a small fortune to do this.

Why would you purchase a mobile home that is already hooked up to gas with gas appliances thinking you could just "convert" the house to an all electric house? There are all electric mobile homes built. Should have purchased one of them. They are more efficient in the long run.
    Thanks for the info. We got the mobile home at a very good price and we will just live with it being gas. I had heard you could convert a gas furnace to electric. I know that I would have to replace the gas stove and hot water heater with electric ones and that would involve wiring but I have a friend that is an electrician. I was mostly concerned with the gas furnace. Thanks for your imput.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2009, 01:32 PM
    Twinkie is correct on most counts.

Not sure what a small fortune would be, it is all relative.

"All new wiring would have to be installed in the mobile home." is not true, not sure that was intended, just new wiring for any appliances that need to be electric. May need to increase the size of the service, depending on how may appliances get swapped to electric, certainly a electric furnace will require a larger service.

If you now have gas, and gas is reasonable cost, then stay with it.

I am an electrician and do not like electric appliances for heat, cooking, and hot water. I have all gas. ( Guess I am a traitor).

I will say to be sure all gas appliances and piping are checked out by a licensed, qualified gas service technician, for integrity of piping, burners, etc.

Having a CO, Carbon Monoxide detector would be wise, in addition to the standard required smoke detectors.

Never heard of easily converting a gas furnace to electric, without changing the entire unit.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 3, 2009, 01:55 PM

Agree, never seen a conversion from gas to electric, changing from NG to propane is about the only conversion I've seen. Any time you make heat with electricity you are using a lot of power, in my area electric heats costs almost 3x propane. Keep what you have but consider having a pro evaluate the furnace for safety issues and venting.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2009, 06:00 PM

I meant all new wiring for the new electric appliances would be required. That's what I get for talking to my son and trying to type at the same time. Sometimes a word here or there gets left out.

Depending on the price of propane it may be a good idea to just keep it as it is but I'd definitely have your system checked out for leaks and the regulator checked out as well.

I can't use propane or natural gas or an oil furnace due to my smoke inhaliation damaged lungs. I cough and cough. I have to have an electric home. I've weatherized my home and don't turn on the heat unless it gets down to the 20's outside.

Also, if you just bought it, I would definitely suggest that someone get under the home and tape up any splits in the underbelly membrane of the house. This is very important otherwise that room or area will definitely get cold and you will waste your heat. There is special belly tape available for this. Using duct tape is not "sticky" enough as the belly material is special and duct does not stick properly.
    Be sure to tape up any splits or tears in the underbelly membrane. You can get the belly tape either online or at a mobile home supply store. I got some online for about $10 a roll. Well worth every penny.

Nov 3, 2009, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Twinkie is correct on most counts.

Not sure what a small fortune would be, it is all relative.

"All new wiring would have to be installed in the mobile home." is not true, not sure that was intended, just new wiring for any appliances that need to be electric. may need to increase the size of the service, depending on how may appliances get swapped to electric, certainly a electric furnace will require a larger service.

If you now have gas, and gas is reasonable cost, then stay with it.

I am an electrician and do not like electric appliances for heat, cooking, and hot water. I have all gas. ( Guess I am a traitor).

I will say to be sure all gas appliances and piping are checked out by a licensed, qualified gas service technician, for integrity of piping, burners, etc.

Having a CO, Carbon Monoxide detector would be wise, in addition to the standard required smoke detectors.

Never heard of easily converting a gas furnace to electric, without changing the entire unit.
    Thank you so much for all your information. You have been very helpful.

Nov 3, 2009, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    I meant all new wiring for the new electric appliances would be required. That's what I get for talking to my son and trying to type at the same time. Sometimes a word here or there gets left out.

Depending on the price of propane it may be a good idea to just keep it as it is but I'd definitely have your system checked out for leaks and the regulator checked out as well.

I can't use propane or natural gas or an oil furnace due to my smoke inhaliation damaged lungs. I cough and cough. I have to have an electric home. I've weatherized my home and don't turn on the heat unless it gets down to the 20's outside.

Also, if you just bought it, I would definitely suggest that someone get under the home and tape up any splits in the underbelly membrane of the house. This is very important otherwise that room or area will definitely get cold and you will waste your heat. There is special belly tape available for this. Using duct tape is not "sticky" enough as the belly material is special and duct does not stick properly.
    Be sure to tape up any splits or tears in the underbelly membrane. You can get the belly tape either online or at a mobile home supply store. I got some online for about $10 a roll. Well worth every penny.

Thanks a lot for your help! It is greatly appreciated

Nov 3, 2009, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Agree, never seen a conversion from gas to electric, changing from NG to propane is about the only conversion I've seen. Any time you make heat with electricity you are using a lot of power, in my area electric heats costs almost 3x propane. keep what you have but consider having a pro evaluate the furnace for safety issues and venting.

Thanks!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2009, 07:17 PM

I'm a traitor as well as TK, I would use Gas for Heat.
    If this will ever be mobile, you don't want to rely on Electric, If you don't plan on Mobility, Go Electric?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Coleman Mobile home furnace [ 6 Answers ]

The blower fan keeps running and will stop until the breaker is shut off for a while. It may run fine through its complete cycles for a day or two, but will do it again! The furnace hasn't been used for about 4 years. What needs fixed or replaced, and where do I find these parts? The trailer was...

Starting Mobile Home Electric [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to find out what all I need to buy to start service for a mobile home. I have spoke with the electric company and do know that I need to have one of there people come out and show me where I have to put the pole but after that I don't know. Right now I do not have anything on the lot...

Cost of coverting electric baseboards to forced air [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking at purchasing a cottage, bungalow style, and was wondering what it would cost to convert the existing electric baseboard heat to forced air? Also who would I contact to do this type of job? Please get back to me, Thanks Cynthia Just wondering approx. how much it would...

Electric furnace mobile home won't come on [ 13 Answers ]

I have an Intertherm electric furnace model E2EB-015HB new in 2002 in a mobile home. The blower comes on when I put thermostat to "On Ventilate" but the heating unit will not come on when thermostat raised. This is the kind that has the heat come on for about 4 -5 seconds, then turns off for...

Replacement of electric unit with gas unit in mobile home [ 2 Answers ]

#1 Dec 27, 2006, 10:32 PM vcavina New Member Join Date: Dec 2006 Location: California Posts: 7 Electrical wall heater in single wide mobile home

View more questions Search