Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 17, 2006, 09:05 PM
    Anti Lock Brakes Dash Warning Light, 2001 Chevy Malibu.
    Need help with Anti Lock Brakes, ABS - 2001 Chevy Malibu...

A dash warning light appeared about 3 days ago that something might be wrong with my anti lock brakes, I immediately pulled over, read about the warning in my own manual, it said turn the veh off, then restart it and if the light doesn't reappear all is probably OK but if the light comes back on then have it checked out. I have been noticing that my brakes don't seem to stop me as quickly as before, then the light came on, I still have brakes like the manual said I would have, but does anyone know if it might be a serious expensive and/or dangerous situation. I plan to take it in tomorrow to a Goodyear shop and have them look at it.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2006, 09:59 PM
    Several things could explain the ABS light going on. Each wheel has an ABS sensor, which needs to be periodically removed and cleaned with a spritzled rag, not compressed air. These are normally attached with an external torx bolt, to keep people from tampering with them.

Anti-lock brake systems frequently have their own dedicated computer, which is constantly running checks on the system. It's possible the computer detected abnormal pressure readings affecting system safety. Many people fail to regularly change the brake fluid on ABS-equipped cars. This can be a costly mistake. Failure to regularly replace the fluid (use only an ABS fluid recommended for your car) can cause corrosion that results in an eye-popping $2,000 bill. Using non-ABS brake fluid in an ABS system is dangerous. Regular brake fluid is thicker than ABS fluid, does not cycle properly in the very small openings in the pump, and creates excess system heat. I recommend replacing the brake fluid in all brake systems every 2 years. The ABS computer can also have a check light come on, if it is throwing codes. Never ignore an ABS light coming on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

98 Chevy malibu trouble starting [ 3 Answers ]

98 Chevy Malibu has trouble starting @ times. Everything comes on, but takes several tries before will start. Any ideas? :confused:

Freeze warning light [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to find a device that is used to warn when the temperature in the house is nearing freezing. This alarm consists of a red light bulb screwed into a small metal box, apparently containing a thermostat that serves as a switch. The box is plugged into an electrical outlet and placed in a...

2001 Sienna brakes [ 2 Answers ]

Just wondering if I've got a "lemon" or if anyone has heard of this; my Toyota Sienna's brakes have always squeaked, about 11,000 miles ago & the 2nd time I took it to the dealer (for both squeaks & going to the floor) they "couldn't duplicate it" but put a new master cylinder in. Well, now it's...

Civic - brakes lock up [ 1 Answers ]

Ever since I changed the master cylinder and brake booster on my 1990 civic my brakes will lock up. The car runs perfectly at first. But with every stop my brakes become harder to depress. Eventually the brakes will fail to retract and slow the car. I am trying to repair the system... using haynes...

View more questions Search