Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carmikel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2009, 08:37 AM
    Washer rough in box height
    I am confused about the height of a washing machine rough in box. I read one person say never to mount it below the top of the washing machine, others say 32-36"
    Another issue I have is the water in our house has a smell to it - the laundry smells bad, the water in general has a moldy smell to it. The water company says it isn't their problem. Any help would be appretiated
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 1, 2009, 08:39 AM

The guy who said never below the top of the washer is totally wrong. Get a clean bucket and fill it outside from your spigot, how does it smell?

Nov 1, 2009, 08:42 AM
    I have done that. It is the same

Nov 1, 2009, 08:46 AM

City water? What city?

Nov 1, 2009, 08:49 AM
    Yes city water. Pittsfield, IL
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 1, 2009, 08:56 AM
    We set our washer boxes 42" from the floor to the bottom of the box.
    Have you checked the water coming out of the meter to localize the odor? Get bqack with the results. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 1, 2009, 07:10 PM

I am in agreement with Tom. We also mount bottom of the recessed box minimum 41" from the rough floor. That way you can close h/c valves w/o reaching behind the washer. Also it is just about the correct height for the stand pipe which should be no shorter than 30" with trap 6" above the plate.

As far as your smelly water goes: what kind of plumbing pipes do you have in your house ? PEX, PVC, copper , galvanized ?

Nov 1, 2009, 08:59 PM

Now go to the houses on each side of your hopuse and gather some water from their taps, you may want to knock on a door or two first. Does their water smell bacd too or just yours?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rough in height for lavratory [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a standard rough height for water and waste for a lavratory?

Rough in sink drain height [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling the bathroom in the basemnent and would like to know what is the standard height for a sink drain rough in?

Washer box height [ 1 Answers ]

What should the height of the bottom of a washer box be? I live in Michigan which I believe has a height code for this.

Washer Installation Height [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to change the way my washer drains. Right now I runs across the basement floor into the floor drain. I have a Sink drainpipe that runs right above the washer 72" high. I was wondering if there was some way to plumb the washer into the sink drain pipe. The book i have for the washers...

Washer Discharge Height [ 5 Answers ]

I need confirmation on my next project. I have to move the washer/dryer to a new location. Dryer is no problem. Water supply is not a problem, but I have no way to install a drain in the floor (I'm on a slab). I can run a 3" PVC pipe from the new location to the original drain location in a...

View more questions Search