Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krisber25 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2009, 07:05 PM
    Distemper shot reaction?
    I recently brought my 11 week old boxer in for his first distemper shot. The shot was given on a Friday morning and by Sunday mid morning, my typically energetic puppy was sluggish, sleepy and unable to walk. We went to the vet first thing Monday morning and after numerous tests with no conclusions we were told to prepare to put him down. By Wednesday my puppy was back to himself running around as if nothing ever happened! Does anyone know if this could be a reaction to the vaccine? And if so, what shuld I do about the next two shots that he will need?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2009, 07:09 PM

The VET told you to be prepared to put him down? Why? I never heard anything like that, telling a person to be prepared to put a dog down when there's no diagnosis.

My GSD gets very sick every time she gets her distemper shot, just as you described - listless, no appetite, sleepy, a little bit wobbly. She looks and acts very sick for about 24 hours. I've looked into NOT getting the distemper shot but I'm in the country and don't want to take a chance.
    krisber25 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2009, 07:14 PM

Yes, and he scared me so much, my baby is perfectly fine now and I can't believe that more people know about this as a reaction than he does, I found more info online than he ever could give me!
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Oct 28, 2009, 07:19 PM

I would look into finding another vet. I am happy to hear your pup is doing much better. :)
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2009, 07:11 AM

While vaccine reactions aren't too common, they usually happen within a few hours of the vaccine. Though I guess it could be possible..
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Oct 30, 2009, 05:47 AM

My Am Staff had reactions to every distemper shot that was given to him, although as he got older it was less of an effect. He also would become sluggish, not want to eat, and very sleepy. I guess I kind of figured it was like getting the flu shot, sometimes you feel yucky for about a day afterward. The vet said it was fairly common but to keep an eye on him and if it lasted longer then 24 hours to bring himback for a follow up. Does your dog have any allergies to preservatives or commercial dog foods?
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2009, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    My Am Staff had reactions to every distemper shot that was given to him, although as he got older it was less of an effect. He also would become sluggish, not want to eat, and very sleepy. I guess I kind of figured it was like getting the flu shot, sometimes you feel yucky for about a day afterward. The vet said it was fairly common but to keep an eye on him and if it lasted longer then 24 hours to bring himback for a follow up. Does your dog have any allergies to preservatives or commercial dog foods?
    Was he ever pre-treated?
    Dogs Expert

Oct 30, 2009, 06:45 AM

Well he went through the normal testing before his normal vaccinations, and the Vet said there was nothing alarming to be concerned about. Also Max has a few allergies to certain commercial dog food, the vet said just like small children they can get side effects from the preservatives that are used in the vaccines also found in some dog foods ( Although the reactions were different from the vaccines and the dog food.).She said that Max did not have a reaction that would cause any serious medical ailments. She said that a reaction is more common then not.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2009, 07:23 AM
    Well he went through the normal testing before his normal vaccinations, and the Vet said there was nothing alarming to be concerned about. Also Max has a few allergies to certain commercial dog food, the vet said just like small children they can get side effects from the preservatives that are used int he vaccines also found in some dog foods ( Although the reactions were different from the vaccines and the dog food.).She said that Max did not have a reaction that would cause any serious medical ailments. She said that a reaction is more common then not.

More common than not. Wow - good to know. As I said, I've weighed shots vs no shots in the past, based on a bad reaction.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2009, 06:24 PM

My mom doesn't vaccinate her pets, they rarely if ever leave their property and we don't have things like the rabies virus here.

All her show dogs on the other hand are vaccinated at they are around other dogs every weekend.

I have never had a reaction with vaccinations myself other than them being a little tired when they get home but mostly I attribute that to a big day out and going to the vets.
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2009, 11:56 AM

I'm just very intrigued that the vet would not pre-treat before vaccines if they know there is a reaction.

And they are not more common than not. We see about one reaction a month, and in that month hundreds upon hundreds are vaccinated.
    Dogs Expert

Nov 2, 2009, 05:41 AM

Wow they don't have rabies in Australia? What about Parvo?
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2009, 05:53 AM
    Wow they don't have rabies in Australia? What about Parvo?
    Yes, unfortunately we do have parvo but we are rabies free- hence why we have such strict quarantine laws.

My dogs get vaccinated for parvo, distemper and hepatitis, there is a kennel cough vaccine but it is pointless as kennel cough is constantly mutating and my dogs are barely around other animals.
    Dogs Expert

Nov 2, 2009, 06:01 AM

Sariss... I guess I will have to ask the vet next time I am in about the pre treating requirements, as far as I know they only run the screening tests the first time they get vaccinated, but even then I don't recall very much testing, aside from giving them the vaccines, and doing the blood work before they get spayed or neutered. The reaction Max had was, he was more tired then normal, didn't feel like eating too much, but it only lasted less then 24 hours. And I do remember the Vet telling me that this was a common side effect to these vaccines. Now I haven't personally done much research on the subject, and I definitely intend to do some now. I thought that because a Vet had told me this info then it was in fact like she said "more common then not".
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2009, 06:05 AM
    Sariss...I guess I will have to ask the vet next time I am in about the pre treating requirments, as far as I know they only run the screening tests the first time they get vaccinated, but even then I don't recall very much testing, aside from giving them the vaccines, and doing the blood work before they get spayed or neutered. The reaction Max had was, he was more tired then normal, didn't feel like eating too much, but it only lasted less then 24 hours. And I do remember the Vet telling me that this was a common side effect to these vaccines. Now I haven't personally done much research on the subject, and I definitly intend to do some now. I thought that becasue a Vet had told me this info then it was in fact like she said "more common then not".
    I have had that experience with mine when they get done, they always mope around and are generally off color for a few hours, it's never a 'reaction' as such, I think Sariss is talking more about severe reactions from her post (I could be wrong) but I don't bother taking mine back to the vet f they are just a bit tired so the vet would have no idea if they had a 'reaction' or not as I have not given them the feedback
    Dogs Expert

Nov 2, 2009, 06:11 AM

I agree, I did not take Max back to the Vet but I did mention it to her then next time we were in. I would think that the Boxer mentioned had a more "sever"(probablly not spelling that right) reaction them mine do. Is pre testing before vaccines a common thing? I suppose it would make sense to pre tesr, but of course much more costly, especially if you had to wait a day or two and then bring your dog back in for the actual vaccine.
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2009, 06:23 AM

This thread was the first time I have actually heard of it to be honest, I had to look it up.
    They give a very small dose of the vaccination to the dog to test for any reactions, then administer the full amount.

My vet has never done it, even when my mom has had whole litters of pups vaccinated.

It does make sense, same way you test skin products on a small patch first to make sure you don't have any allergies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Problem with distemper shot [ 1 Answers ]

My dog just got his distemper shot, about 5 hours later he is acting like he is on something. He's flying around the room with his touge out panting, rubbing his face. His face did swell up but looks better. Last year he had received the same shot and had somewhat of the same reactions. He has...

Reaction to distemper shot [ 3 Answers ]

What are the reactions for dogs from the distemper shot. I have a 11 week old Toy Fox Terrier.

Parvo/Distemper Shot Reaction in Pup [ 15 Answers ]

Okay so here's the story... I found a very young, stray pup at our house this morning which looked to be a great pyrenees mix of some sort. I noticed that she had tapeworms so I decided to take her to the vet to be de-wormed and have her first set of parvo/distemper shots(don't want her to have to...

My dog in lithargic after her distemper shot [ 1 Answers ]

My 6 month old cockerspaniel has just had her distemper shot 3 days ago. She is acting very lethargic lately. Is this normal?

Distemper shot [ 4 Answers ]

My dog recently received her distemper booster shot. She is 9 years old. She is now experiencing fluid in her abdomen/chest and is on vasculitis meds, antibiotics and has had her abdomen drained twice. Her symptoms of difficulty breathing began 1 week after her shot. Is there any chance they...

View more questions Search