Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    penny41 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2009, 05:00 PM
    Are deposits legally binding
    My son paid a deposit for a car,the seller has now changed his mind, he also signed a hand written receipt, my son still wants the car
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 28, 2009, 05:10 PM

First I moved your question to the legal section. The section you posted was introduction, please go back and introduce yourself.

Who is the seller, a company or a individual.

Also exactly what did the receipt say, just a receipt for the money or did it say for a car.
    Was there a contract that stated how much the car was to sell for, and what the terms of the sell was?

And as a side note, did anyone have the car inspected by a independent mechanic

Oct 28, 2009, 05:16 PM

Thank you

Individual

Hand written receipt with car reg on, amount of deposit and sellers signature
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 28, 2009, 05:37 PM

With the Car reg info on the receipt, legally this creates a binding contract. However, your son would have to take him to court to enforce that contract. If he was offered his deposit back I would not waste the time going to court.

Oct 28, 2009, 06:13 PM
    Thanks thought so after hours of trawling internet,
    He has offered deposit back plus 100, its just so anoying and was a brilliant buy, we would preffer the car...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 28, 2009, 06:53 PM

I guess legally, you can sue them for what ever additional money you have to pay for a similar item, but that is about it, and then the argument of what is similar, most likely if they are offering the deposit back plus 100 dollars, the courts would not be interested in this

Oct 29, 2009, 07:09 AM

Well live in the uk and after speaking to trading standards it goes like this
    It is legally binding

1 invitation to treat
    2 consideration
    3 contract

He is liabble for all costs to us incured,
    The deposit , insurance paid for, car inspection etc

But you have to make the claim through the small claims court,

As this man is emigrating on Tuesday we have agreed £200 comp

But if you wanted you could pursue even in australia through small claims

My feelings are hope he and his wife get bitten by something nasty : )
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 29, 2009, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by penny41 View Post
    well live in the uk
    It really is important to give a general location for your account. However, in this case, contract law is basically the same in the US and UK. As you found out. A binding contract exists, but you have to go to court to enforce it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a rental lease legally binding if it was not signed by all parties? [ 6 Answers ]

Is a rental lease legally binding if it was not signed by all parties?

Is a verbal agreement legally binding in the state of PA? [ 4 Answers ]

Perhaps I had a verbal agreement to pay a loan that the parents of my now ex-wife had taken out for us. Now that we are not together any more, for more than three years, and I'm still paying this loan payment, am I legally bound to keep doing so, or not? I know the moral thing to do would be to...

Is a verbal agreement legally binding? [ 3 Answers ]

My father-in-law is visiting us in Arkansas and was considering moving here. He looked at some homes for sale, and made a verbal offer (no realtors or paperwork involved) on a house. The seller counter-offered, but would not come down far enough. My f-i-l never signed any paperwork or offered...

Is my lease still legally binding? [ 2 Answers ]

As of June 1 2006, my 1 year lease was up and I was to continue my rental agreement with a month to month lease following he fullfilment of this one year lease. As of July 1 2006 the rental property was taken over by a new property owner. I never signed any lease agreement with this new owner...

View more questions Search