Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macman11393 Posts: 72, Reputation: 5

Oct 17, 2009, 10:22 AM
    Guitar.where to buy it and buy cheap
    I want to start playing guitar but I talked to a friend who knows and even plays guitars. He said to buy one at walmart to start which I agreed cheap see if I catch on then buy upgrade from it. But then I talked to my dad and he said there are cheaper ones on eBay but I'm scared on getting one that has problems (since it is ebay) so I was wondering where can I buy a good first guitar around or preferibly below 100$ thanks allot!
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 10:38 AM

On eBay, each user has a reputation where people have rated the merchandise they've bought from that user. Only buy from members with good reputations.

Also, check pawn shops.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Oct 17, 2009, 11:04 AM

I use to work with a guy that played guitar seriously. He brought and sold many high end, good condition guitars on Ebay without any serious problems. Now the guitars he dealt with where in a much higher end price range but as long as you look into the reputation of any buyer and what guarantees they offer on merchandise it shouldn't be a huge problem.

Like nikosmom also mentioned pawn shops would also be great places to look. Sometimes pawn shops will even have drastically under priced guitars because they are unaware of what they have so you could potentially find a cheap higher end guitar.
    pickandgrin Posts: 19, Reputation: 6

Oct 20, 2009, 10:08 PM

I’ve played guitar for more decades than I’d like to count. I would suggest that if you buy the wrong starter guitar, you’ll set yourself up for failure. Musical instruments are as varied as the individuals who play them. I’m assuming that you’ll be looking for an acoustic guitar because you won’t be able to get set up with an electric in the price range you’re talking about.

There are some reasonably playable starter guitars out there in the lower price ranges but you need to find the one that’s right for you. That means you have to hold it and hear it. You can go to your local music center and look them over. You can even get someone in the store to play them for you. Get the sales person to let you hold them. Sit on a stool of proper playing height and put it on your lap as though you can play. Pluck it a little bit and press the strings up and down the neck. Ask yourself the following questions:

• Is the body the right size for you?
    • How do the strings feel?
    • Which one feels most comfortable when you push the strings down?
    • How wide is the neck?
    • How large is your hand? If you have a large hand, you’ll probably prefer a wider neck.
    • Look at the neck, is it straight? You want the distance between the string and the frets (brass lines on neck) to vary as little as possible. They will get progressively further away from the frets as they go higher on the neck but they should NOT be close then far then close again. That would mean the neck is bowed.
    • When you pluck the strings, do you hear a buzz? If so, the strings are probably too close to the neck for you.
    • If you can find one in this price range with a truss rod, that’s a real plus. A truss rod is a metal adjustment device that goes through the center of the neck.

Some brands that I know that offer models in this price range are:
    • Epiphone – a sister company of Gibson
    • Takamine – a sister company of Ovation
    • Ibanez – I once chose this brand for a friend of mine who was looking for a starter guitar.

There are other starter guitars out there with names I’ve never heard of that make decent instruments. These are just a few that I know and have some brand trust for.

Finally, take your time making this decision. Go to the store and find the makes and models you think fit you. Go back home and check the prices on a site like Musicians Friend or American Musical Supply. I’ve done business with both and find them reliable. If the price at your local store is in the same ball park as these web vendors, I recommend buying from the local music store even if it costs a little more. They’ll be there when you need help finding the right replacement strings. They’ll be able to advise you about how to restring a guitar etc. And they’re the ones that let you play with their stock.

When you find the right one, be prepared to have sore fingertips for at least a month. If you’re not willing to suffer a little until you build up calluses, then you should save your cash.

I hope this helps :cool:
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 10:27 PM

pickandgrin knows his stuff!

I wanted to second a remark he made. If you don't feel comfortable with a certain guitar, don't buy it. It is worth paying a little more if you're serious about it. The ones on Ebay, you can't hold... Or hear.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 10:45 PM

What about craigslist? My boyfriend had a guitar he sold there a while back. Since it's more local, they guy was able to check it out before he actually purchased it.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 10:51 PM
    Hi, macman11393!

Outstanding answer by pickandgrin above! I'm wondering what type or types of music it is that you'll eventually be wanting to be able to play, please?

Thanks!
    macman11393 Posts: 72, Reputation: 5

Oct 23, 2009, 02:28 PM

Thnks guys for the answers and I went to a guitar center near by and picked up a Ibanez thanks to pickandgrin and I'm loven it

Oct 27, 2009, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by macman11393 View Post
    thnks guys for the answers and i went to a guitar center near by and picked up a Ibanez thanks to pickandgrin and im loven it
    I'm glad you found the information helpful macman. :D
    leon_1991 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 04:11 PM

Pick and grin

I know that name!
    Do you have your own website?
    Or do you also know pickandgrin and using the name?

I can't think how I know it just do!

Oct 27, 2009, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by leon_1991 View Post
    Pick and grin

i know that name!!
    do you have your own website?
    or do u also know pickandgrin and using the name?

i can't think how i know it just do!
    I don't have my own site but I post a good bit of computer art under that name. Perhaps that's where you've seen it. Also, I'm not the only one that uses pickandgrin. On some sites, I have to put a number behind it.
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Oct 27, 2009, 06:16 PM

Hi,
    You can try Amazon.com

Click Here: Amazon.com: cheap guitars

Click Here: Amazon.com: cheap guitars electric

Keep checking their site until you see one you want. :)
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 10:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by macman11393 View Post
    thnks guys for the answers and i went to a guitar center near by and picked up a Ibanez thanks to pickandgrin and im loven it
    I think he already found one summer ;)
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Oct 28, 2009, 12:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    i think he already found one summer ;)
    That's awesome!
    david_1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2009, 12:23 PM
    I agree with pickandgrin! There is an interaction between the player and the guitar. I would suggest as a beginner you only buy one you can try first. Not only are there good and bad guitars out there but each person is also different as to what feels good and sounds good to them. Think of your guitar hero (if you have one) You can buy every piece and type of equipment they have but that doesn't mean you will play like them, sound like them or more importantly enjoy playing it
    I have bought guitars site-unseen before but they were from high-end custom builders with a reputation to worry about. Other than that, buyer beware and try before you buy!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Guitar! Guitar!. need an online guru!. [ 9 Answers ]

Okay.. here's the thing: I have an electric guitar on me with a mini-amp and I love playing with it but I want to learn how to actually play it. After repeated 'playing' I have learned the strokes and fingering a little bit on my own but without some theoretical understanding, I don't seem to...

Guitar [ 1 Answers ]

How do I fix the input jack on my electric guitar, I guess it was loose, and fell inside my guitar. I have an epiphone dot archtop, so I was able to get it out through the opening on the side of my guitar, but the jack is connected to a wire, and I don't know how to get it back to the hole and...

Need to know how to fix my guitar? [ 7 Answers ]

So, my guitar is a walden, acoustic. The peg on the bridge for the low e string will not go entirely in the hole. So after I've put the strings all on my guitar, that one peg sits higher than the rest, and I wonder if it's going to just give. I don't want any one to get hurt, also I don't want...

Which guitar amp is better? [ 4 Answers ]

Which guitar amp is better, a Line 6 Spider III 75 or a Crate XT120R 120W?

Wet Guitar [ 2 Answers ]

I was walking in my backyard when my brother dropped a large cup of water on me - I happened to be holding my guitar. Some spray got inside, and a lot covered the outer body. I quickly dried it off as much as I could - do you think there could be any lasting damage? If so, my brother will repay me...

View more questions Search