Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angel030408 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2009, 09:55 PM
    Roomates both claim head of household both with one child?
    Can two roomates both claim head of household for taxes both persons also ihave one child each. And pay for everything 50 -50 rent utilities
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 26, 2009, 07:38 AM
    Not really.

If they EACH have a child, then, yes, they can each legally claim Head of Household (HoH).

However, the rules also require that the person claiming HoH provide MORE than half of the cost of maintaining a household for the child. This being the case, it is impossible for BOTH roommates to provide MORE than half of the cost of the household.

If both roommates DO claim HoH, it is likely the IRS will home in on the fact that they both claimed that status from the same mailing address, audit both roommates and essentially tell them to decide which of them is going to file as SINGLE vice HoH.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two roomates claim head of household? [ 1 Answers ]

Can two roomates both claim head of household for taxes?

Am I head of household [ 1 Answers ]

If my husband didn't have any income to claim, am I head of houseold? Am I filing jointly or separately. We should qualify for the earned income credit, but I'm not sure how to file. I think I'm head of household

Head of household? Singe, w/ child & 2 roommates [ 3 Answers ]

I'm trying to figure out how much I need to withhold from my sitter's pay. She is single (divorced, I believe) with a child (under 18, US citizen) who lives with her all year. She pays all of her and her daughter's living expenses. She lives with two of her sisters and they share household...

Head of Household [ 2 Answers ]

I remarried last year but I provide ALL of the expenses of my household. My spouse does work but it is my income that pays all the bills, and the upkeep of the home. Can I still file as Head of Household?

Head of Household [ 1 Answers ]

Who can claim as "Head of Household".

View more questions Search