Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hydroxy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 07:42 PM
    89 civic randomly dies... hard to restart. Intermittent problem
    I have an 89 civic 1.5L 4door manual.

It will randomly die while driving - doesn't matter if engine is at 3,000rpm going 50mph or 600 stopped at a light. Sometimes it'll start right back up, other times it'll take 5 minutes of cranking to get it to go again.

the 2 weeks prior, I would get very small jerks from time to time like the engine just lost power but then regained it. It wouldn't last for more the 1/2 a second.

Any ideas? Replaced ignition coil, didn't fix. New distributor cap/plugs/wires - didn't fix.

I need to get this fixed in the next 2 days, because I have to go on a trip Friday
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2006, 08:04 PM
    I would replace the igniter and main relay, neither of which is expensive. Because of the age of the Civic, both need to be replaced from a preventive maintenance standpoint anyway. I feel this should cure your problem. If you haven't replaced your fuel filter in the last 60,000 miles, I recommend you replace it, too. Remove your coil, in order to give you more room to work on the igniter inside the distributor. Remember to apply the silicone grease, which normally comes with the igniter, to the back of the new igniter, which mounts to a heat sink, and lightly coat each of the 4 terminals.
    biohazardbill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    I would replace the igniter and main relay, neither of which is expensive. Because of the age of the Civic, both need to be replaced from a preventive maintenance standpoint anyway. I feel this should cure your problem. If you haven't replaced your fuel filter in the last 60,000 miles, I recommend you replace it, too. Remove your coil, in order to give you more room to work on the igniter inside the distributor. Remember to apply the silicone grease, which normally comes with the igniter, to the back of the new igniter, which mounts to a heat sink, and lightly coat each of the 4 terminals.

Did this solve your problem? My 91 is doing the same thing.

How hard is this "Ignitor" to change never heard of it, and where is the main relay located?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2007, 08:01 PM
    biohazardbill, see the link below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

The main relay is located on the driver's side kick panel, next to the hood release. Remove the fuse box cover and the lower dash panel for access. Turn ignition switch on and off and listen for the click, to help you locate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1999 Accord dies unexpectedly and won't restart [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. This problem has actually been happening for over a year, but was so infrequent in the beginning and has become more serious. I never know when it will die, so I avoid freeway driving, since the car could die, it is like a deathtrap. It is due for a tune-up... does anyone know if the main...

Civic '89 fires up and dies down after 2 sec [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have Hona Civic '89. I had intermittent start up problems on hot weather recently so I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and coil (I think this was the fault) and it worked fine after that. After about three week of good starts now it will fire and engine turn but then dies down after...

Honda civic won't restart.Bk [ 24 Answers ]

I have a 1988 honda civic Lx. The car starts when the engine is cold but as soon I drive it and turn off the engine it would not restart. Replace the fuel filter and the spark plugs but that didn't work. Im wondering if it could be my star relay (if any on civics)or my engine coil. How do icheck...

Intermittent wall A/C problem [ 1 Answers ]

We have a stand-alone, wall-mounted A/C unit that exhausts to the outside and is hard-wired to a wall switch to turn the unit off and on. The unit is about 10-12 feet above the floor and the switch is about 6 feet above. Lately I have noticed that the room has gotten pretty warm, indicating that...

Intermittent Telephone Problem [ 3 Answers ]

This problem is driving me crazy. I have phone and DSL coming into my home on the same line. DSL splitter is outside. When it rains, incoming calls ring once, then stop. The DSL continues to work fine. I have tried disconnecting the house from the incoming line at the NIC box outside and the...

View more questions Search