Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pepsimax1981 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2009, 01:10 PM
    401k as income for child support
    I reside in Michigan, my husband and I divorced 6 years ago, since then he has taken me to court a surplus of times to try to ruin me with lawyer fees. I was awarded 50% of the 401k in the settlement. Since then I have had to withdrawl fund to live off and pay all the fees associated with the many court trips. He know is trying to take me to court to purpose the 401k withdrawals as income to reduce child support payment and make me pay back any overages. Can anyone advise on this?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 01:31 PM

It seems very unlikely that they can be called income since they were already yours. While you have to pay taxes and report them as income, child support is calculated based on net salary which is before 401k is withdrawn.

It's the same effect as if you had an automatic deduction into a savings account. You wouldn't compute a withdrawal from that as income.

Basically it is only income as far as the IRS is concerned and then only because of the special class of funds.

His claim is baseless.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    It seems very unlikely that they can be called income since they were already yours. While you have to pay taxes and report them as income, child support is calculated based on net salary which is before 401k is withdrawn.

Its the same effect as if you had an automatic deduction into a savings account. You wouldn't compute a withdrawal from that as income.

Basically it is only income as far as the IRS is concerned and then only because of the special class of funds.

His claim is baseless.
    I have to disagree on this one. I believe it depends on the state where the order is passed. The 401k withdrawals if that's what they really are would be subject to income tax therefore also subject to income. 401k money is suppose to be set aside and not spent until a later time in life. That's why there are penalties on it. It may very well be counted as income on a suplemental level. About the same as you would treat a bonus from a regular job.
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 03:16 PM

If the parent paying support were to have 17% taken from his check, it would be before the 401k were taken out... so why wouldn't it work the other way?

Its pretax money but not presupport.
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 03:30 PM

Example:

Parent pays 17% child support, 10% to 401K. Base salary is 1000/wk.

Child support would be $170, 401k would get $100, base taxable income would be $900 (assuming no other pretax deductions)

Support would already have been paid for that period... withdrawl from 401k would not be subject to child support.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 03:57 PM
    Whether the 401K is considered income to you is immaterial as far as child support to you for your child(ren) is concerned. An increase in your income, if you want to call the 401K withdrawals "income", does not reduce his child support obligation. His child support obligation can only be lowered by the court if he can demonstrate a change in his circumstances, such as a decrease in his income due to factors beyond his control or if he were to have another child.
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci View Post
    Whether or not the 401K is considered income to you is immaterial as far as child support to you for your child(ren) is concerned. An increase in your income, if you want to call the 401K withdrawals "income", does not reduce his child support obligation. His child support obligation can only be lowered by the court if he can demonstrate a change in his circumstances, such as a decrease in his income due to factors beyond his control or if he were to have another child.
    That varies by state. Some states account for the custodial parents income when figuring support.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 04:04 PM
    That varies by state. Some states account for the custodial parents income when figuring support.
    Technically that's the way it is in my great state of NJ! However, the guidelines are worded such that, when you crunch the numbers, the non-custodial parent's amount to be paid will essentially stay the same based on his income, regardless of what dollar amount of income is imputed to the custodial parent.
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 05:29 PM

Here is an example as quoted from Minnesota child support guidelines. It also includes " pension " income which the 401k could be considered as.

Gross monthly income
    The guidelines are based on gross monthly income, including:

• salary and wages
    • commissions
    • spousal maintenance
    • potential income
    • workers' compensation
    • unemployment insurance
    • annuity payments
    • military and naval retirement
    • pension and disability payments
    • Social Security benefits received by a parent based on the parent's own eligibility
    • Social Security benefits paid for a joint child based on a parent's eligibility
    • income from self-employment or operation of a business

Ref:

Child support - guidelines
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 05:33 PM
    Also it seems Michigan follows along the same guidelines and it would be considered income.

Ref: PDF file

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu.XBp9...MCSFmanual.pdf
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 05:34 PM

401k isn't pension and falls into a different category. Its essentially tax deferred savings.

Ultimately though I think only a judge can rule on this. I was unable to find anything specific on it for any state.
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci View Post
    Technically that's the way it is in my great state of NJ! However, the guidelines are worded such that, when you crunch the numbers, the non-custodial parent's amount to be paid will essentially stay the same based on his income, regardless of what dollar amount of income is imputed to the custodial parent.
    What your saying here just doesn't hold up to the way the law is written. For example if there were $60,000 in the 401K and it is being drawn out at a rate of $1,000 per month then the net benefit would be $12,000 per year. According to the NJ guidelines that would effect the level of "required" support from the NCP.

Ref: see rule IX A

Child Support Guidelines
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 05:47 PM
    401k isnt pension and falls into a different category. Its essentially tax deferred savings.

Ultimately though I think only a judge can rule on this. I was unable to find anything specific on it for any state.
    The United States Goobermint calls a 401K a pension plan. Take a look.

U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Retirement Plans, Benefits & Savings - Consumer Information on Pension Plans
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 06:32 PM

But a disbursement isn't the same as a pension being paid out...

According to what you posted I could see it being handled like an IRA or an one time gift also. Particularly since none of the money was 'earned' while support was in effect.

Im interested to see if there is an official ruling on this.
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 07:01 PM
    But a disbursement isnt the same as a pension being paid out...

According to what you posted I could see it being handled like an IRA or an one time gift also. Particularly since none of the money was 'earned' while support was in effect.

Im interested to see if there is an official ruling on this.
    I would like to also. It seems it can go many ways and from what was posted it can go either way depending on how much it is and how it is dispersed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I have to pay 45% of my income in child support? [ 13 Answers ]

My husband's lawyer calculated my child support payments at $600.00. This is 45% of my current income and is a 30% increase in what I should be paying, according to the Oklahoma child support calculation charts that I found on-line. However, I live in NY. Should this make a difference in how...

Child support and 401k [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, my question is a little different than most. My ex and I get along great, but my job has had a reduction in hours and it is getting hard to make a living. I am not in arrears but I am going broke. I pay a weekly amount that will never go up or down. We know how much I will owe by the time...

Per diem income & child support [ 3 Answers ]

I'm sure this is probably changes from State to State, but does anyone know if per diem income can be counted as income when calculating child support?

401k, divorce, considered income calculating support [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My MI divorce was final in 2007 and part of the agreement included a QDRO for 50% of my 401k to her. She cashed in the 401k to use as a down payment on her house. I understand that cashing in the 401k is considered income during filing of taxes, but is it also considered income for child...

What % of my income is maximum for child support? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an ex who has been a nightmare from hell. We have a child together and for about 6 months everything worked out well. She is now seeking to obtain the child support through the state of IL and the question I have to ask is this? First let me set somewhat of a senario. My ex-girlfriend and...

View more questions Search