Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cosmic63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2009, 05:57 AM
    Sizing natural gas pipe
    How do I determine the size of black natural gas pipe I need in a rehabilitated house. Total length of run is 60'(stove). Teeing off at 40' for hot water heater and clothes dryer.
    What size to start with, when to reduce pipe?
    Thank you for your help.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 08:17 AM

Here you go:

Gas Piping Sizing Worksheet

The calculator is unclear whether it takes into account of fittings. From this website fitting loss is usually considered to be 1.5 * the equlivelent length of pipe.

Ref: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/na...ing-d_826.html
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 22, 2009, 06:17 AM
    We don't use much gas in my area but back up North we brought our gas into the house with 3/4" black iron pipe. Regards, Tom
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2009, 07:20 AM

Yep, usually comes in at 3/4 to 1" and you might have some 1/2 inch branches somewhere. The heater is like 80' away. Dryer about 70'. Water heater about 75'

Then a oven/stove is about 60'
    And another wall oven and stove at about 50' on same branch.

Don't forget the dirt legs on any appliances below the gas pipe entrace to the house.

So lets say it comes in 2' off the cellar floor. Te water heater and heater need it. The dryer gas entrance is too close to the floor to get one.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 22, 2009, 04:27 PM
    KISS,
    By "dirt legs" do you mean a "drip loop"? A 6" capped nipple that looks down from a tee and is there to collect moisture in the service line before it gets to the pilot lite?
    We all have our "special names" for things inn our area. That was addressed a few posts ago with Milos "dirt arm", my "lateral" and Marks "Dandy Clean Out.
    Cheers, Tom
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2009, 05:26 PM

Yep. Those things. I reserve drip loops for things electrical. You cable TV, thermostat wire, service entrance, telephone. Because those do loop.

Now if you called it a "drip leg", I'm OK with that because I don't see a loop.

And it's a place to attach a pressure gauge too.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 22, 2009, 10:11 PM

We use Gas load tables to figure out Total BTU load for your house. There are several variables that will tell you what size of pipe to use.

But based on 60' of developed length, I agree with advice of other Experts: 1" from the gas meter, tee off with 3/4" to stove and 3/4" to WH. Somewhere along the run, Tee off with 1/2" line for gas dryer.

And how do you heat your house ? No furnace ? No BBQ ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sizing of DWV pipe in multifamily [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I have a multi family building that I have to put in all new DWV pipe. The configuration is that I have several vertical 4" pipes feeding into a single horizontal pipe. My question is about sizing of the horizontal pipe I'm required to have at different points... At point A, I have a 3...

Pipe sizing [ 3 Answers ]

I, would like to calculate waterflow through various pipe sizes at a certain pressure. Is there a formula or can you help me with a table?

Pipe sizing [ 2 Answers ]

Hello there I have a unit to install the run is about ten feet long from evaporator to condenser how can I size the pipe

Sizing pipe for natural gas and fan runs continuously [ 2 Answers ]

Folks, I've got a couple of question concerning a Goodman Furnace GPG13: 1. This furnace is rated at 138,000 BTU. My gas meter is a 2 pound system. The furnace is about 20 feet away from the meter. Currently I've got 1/2" pipe connected to it. Is this right? Or should I use 3/4" pipe? How do...

Natural gas pipe in bsmt is touching gas pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and in the basement the single wall furnace flue is touching the dark iron natural gas pipe, just before it enters the brick chimney , the water heater also has single wall flue that runs through wood structure. The previous owner put coffee cans around the flue, he cut off...

View more questions Search