Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 05:17 AM
    Resurfacing a cast iron skillet
    For the last few months the cast iron cookware skillet has had the food sticking to the bottom,how can I resurface the pan so my food won't stick, cleaned and oiled after every use,but the corned beef hash just adheres to the pan,not browning:(help!!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 05:34 AM

I would give it a good going over with steel wool and then heat and oil again. You must never wash cast iron in soapy water. Rinse in very hot water and wipe out with a paper towel.

Tick
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 05:49 AM
    If the cookware is old and has had heavy use, more aggression may be needed. I recently sandblasted my cast iron wok whose coating had grown too thick and was pitting and cracking. Couple of oil application cycles in the oven and it is good again.
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 06:19 AM

Thank you both,I'll try cleaning and oven cycles:)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    If the cookware is old and has had heavy use, more aggression may be needed. I recently sandblasted my cast iron wok whose coating had grown too thick and was pitting and cracking. Couple of oil application cycles in the oven and it is good again.
    You really sandblasted? Would a power wash work as well? I have the same problem Ken does, and I have been avoiding using my cast iron skillets because of it.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    You really sandblasted? Would a power wash work as well?
    I don't know, maybe, I don't have a power washer or I would have tried it. My coating was pitted, cracked, charred, and flaking off in chunks in the food. I quit using the wok a year ago and have tried the following to cut the coating:
    • Soft scrub and elbow grease
    • Baking soda and elbow grease
    • Alcohol and elbow grease (works but takes ALOT of elbow grease)
    • ProPrep paint scraper (works, slow)
    • Cordless drill and wire brush (works, slow)
    • Cordless drill and 3M paint stripper wheel (works, less slow)

The paint stripper wheel worked the best, but still was fairly slow and left a film of the old coating. I was prepared to buy a new wok, but I had acquired a new blast cabinet and was wanting to play so I gave the wok a go. If you decide to do this, thoroughly scrub and rinse the item afterward with a brush to eliminate any dust residue. I rinsed mine with degreaser in a parts washer, vacuumed, and air blasted with an air compressor. Also note that once blasted it will rust just by looking at it - recoat as soon as possible.
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 08:06 AM

All interesting responses,I am(as we speak) doing the re-baking, I'll let you all know how it goes.
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2009, 02:48 AM

Looks to be working,so far so good,used it for the past few weeks with little sticking problems, now for the real test,the dreaded Corned beef hash,, either it'll work,or not,, :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2009, 03:01 AM
    You know, you're making me hungry, KBC!

I'm going to have to come over there and try some of your corned beef hash! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe

Cast Iron Rot? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey fellas (ladies too), I've got a small ranch house with 4inch cast iron waste pipe. When we bought the house, the inspector said the pipe would need replacing "soon". We've been in the house about a month now with no escaping sewage. What are some tell-tale signs of cast-iron pipe being...

Cast iron vertical from cast iron horizontal can be pvc? [ 2 Answers ]

A leak developed in the main cast iron vertical stack of pipes leading to the horizontal main drain. Unfortunately, for me, the leak was so close to the ground that I had to break the concrete slab of the house. At that point, it just made sense to dig an extra 4 inches or so and remove the bad...

Cast Iron to PVC [ 5 Answers ]

We would like to put an offer on a house built in the 50's. It has cast iron plumbing and we possibly would like to change that to PVC throughout the house before remodeling. It is on a slab and a brick home. It is 2600 sq.ft. with 3 bathrooms. Is there anyway I can get a rough estimate on what...

View more questions Search