Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BrandiCyr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 12:52 PM
    How do I find my half sister?
    My birth mother had another child and she was also submitted into foster care. I am now adopted, but I was hoping to find her and adopt her into MY family. Does anyone know a way to go about doing this?:confused:
    mlsealey Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2009, 07:12 AM

Well I know you might not want to do this... but I did it and within a few hours less then 10 hours I found my half sister... You have to post all known info... Like full names yes even yours... yours mothers... fathers... because if the half sister knows any of your names that is what she will be trying to Google and find. Also the city and state of which you were born the same for where she was born. Also the adoption agency name if possible. Anything and everything that you know.
    If the sister evers googles the name of adoption agency and city and state she will find your posting. It is possible so don't be surprised when it happens.
    My half sister knew my Dads name and had been looking for him so when she googled his name she found my posting. Go see my posting... Good luck with your search.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 10:53 AM

How old are you, and how old is your half sister?

If you've been adopted, then LEGALLY, you have no ties to another child from the same biological mother/father.
    mlsealey Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2009, 12:49 PM

Looks like they went through foster care first which means there could be a chance even a foster parent somewhere would know her birth mothers name or sisters name if she does not know it already.

She may have no ties so to speak but who would not want to know their own blood..?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 01:19 PM

The PROBLEM is that we cannot help a minor search, nor can we help someone find a minor.

If she wants to do this sort of search, she needs to enlist the help of her adoptive parents (if she is a minor) and if she is NOT a minor, it still needs to be her adoptive parents that put forth the effort into adopting her sister.

The courts and the legal system are under NO obligation to connect biological siblings separated by adoption. In fact, it's an invasion of privacy for them to do so.

The ONLY thing I can think of here that might be a legal way to approach this is if the adoptive parents have a way to contact the biological mother (an open adoption) and ask her for information. However, since they were in the foster care system, it's unlikely that there is any contact between the children and the biological mother.

Again, it's in the adoptive parents' court to pursue this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How Do I Find My Unknown Half-Brother? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a 56 year-old-female who wants to find my half-brother. I know little about him, except our father's name, and possibly the city and state of his birth. I can gues within a few years as to when he was born. My few family members have refused to give any further inofmation, or were kept in...

Movie about half-brother and half-sister? [ 2 Answers ]

I watched this movie in the early 90s but can't remember the name. All I know is that the half brother is madly in love w/ his half sister and goes crazy over her. She doesn't love him but is worried about her mentally challenged sister who lives in a home. Does anyone know about this movie?

Looking for half-sister [ 5 Answers ]

I have her first, middle & maiden name. She was born around 1942. How can I search using a maiden name?

How can I find out if my sister is half... or full? [ 9 Answers ]

I met my 15 year old sister recently and many people say she looks like me a lot. I always knew she was my moms kid but never thought she was my dads. They where divorced long ago but not before she could have been concived. I know there are tests that can be taking but is their one that can be...

View more questions Search