Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hsns0098 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2009, 10:01 PM
    A stunt man drives a car at a speed of 20moff am-high cliff. The road leading to the
    A stunt man drives a car at a speed of 20m/s off a 30 m high cliff. The road leading to the cliff is inclined upward at an angle of 20 degree.
    How far from the base of the cliff does the car land?
    What is the car's impact speed?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 11:37 PM
    Hi, hsns0098!

If you post what you think might be the answers and the ways that you arrived at them, you'll be more likely to have someone knowledgeable come along to teach you how to arrive at the correct answers, if the answers that you post are incorrect, and also to verify for you that the answers that you've posted are correct, if indeed, they are.

Thanks !
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2009, 10:01 AM

1. Break the speed into horizontal component and vertical component.

2i). Using , find the time of flight of the car.

ii). Use that time and the horizontal component to find the horizontal displacement.

3i). Using , find the vertical component of the car at the bottom of the cliff. (be careful, consider well your signs)

ii). Use Pythagoras' Theorem to recombine the new vertical component and the horizontal component.

I gave you the steps. If you really want help now, post what you did, as Clough said.
    hsns0098 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2009, 02:56 PM

I used v^2*sin2theta/g
    for the first part but it gave me 26.2 meter. Which is wrong.
    can u tell me y it is wrong?
    and I couldn't get the second part?
    Thanks
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 09:43 AM

1. Well, I never use that formula even if I know it. You see, that formula finds the range of projectiles on the same level as the projected object.

Name:  Test.png
Views: 3632
Size:  3.1 KB

R is what you get using your formula, and R is what you are asked to find, which you get using the method I told you.

2. The horizontal velocity remains the same all the time, because there are no horizontal forces acting on the car (neglecting air resistance)

You can find the vertical velocity using the formula I gave you. Since you have the vertical and horizontal final components of the speed, you can find the total velocity, using Pythagoras' Theorem.

Tell me if you got it now, or if I have to say more. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

94 Civic Dies at road speed [ 4 Answers ]

I find the information posted here quite informative regarding Honda's. I have a 94 Honda that has an on and off problem. About one and a half months ago my 1.5 started to miss at about 55 mph and died. The check engine light came on and it sounded like a backfire and came on again. It went about...

Phy 11- Starts at rest at cliff edge If accel how far from bottom of cliff will land [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! A car starts at rest a certain distance (150m) away from edge of a cliff (64m high.) If car can accelerate at a certain rate (3.10m/s/s), how far from bottom of cliff will the car land? I have know idea where to start on this question. Any help would be great. Thanks

Vectors. Seconds for car to fall off 73-m-high cliff? [ 1 Answers ]

A car drives horizontally off a 73-m-cliff at a speed of 27 m/s. Ignore air resistance. How long will it take the car to hit the ground? How far from the base of the cliff will the car hit? I do not know which equation to start with :confused:.. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Movie-woman drives man off cliff and needs reconstruction of face [ 3 Answers ]

I remember this movie where this woman who is having an affair kills her husband with the boyfriend and when the boyfriend wants to go to the police the woman decides that she would kill him by driving over a cliff but she gets out before it goes over. He survives but has no recollection of his...

View more questions Search