Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    strauby Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 09:46 AM
    Pulsing in water pipe-weird
    I cannot figure out this pulsing/thumping in my water line. It can be felt on the incoming line from the house and make niose at the hot water heater. Can be stopped if I turn a shut off valve before the hot water heater. Before the shut off it splits to other portions of the house such as tiolets and faucets. It isn't constant but goes for 20-30 seconds then off for a minute. I already closed all the tiolets shut off valves at the tiolet and it still thumps. I have a 40 gal. water heater w/ expansion tank, no backflow preventor or regulator, city water and 85 psi pressure. Driving me nuts.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 10:32 AM

Pressure way to high. Reduce to no more than 60 lbs,40 or 50 would be better.
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Oct 15, 2009, 03:14 PM

A lot of water meters make a thumping sound when water is flowing. Is it stronger by the meter?

Oct 15, 2009, 07:03 PM

Yes you can feel it after meter but stops when I shut the water before the hot water heater, it spits in other places before there so it has other places it is not shut off. And this is when no water is running in the house. You can feel the pulse in the pipes all over. Never constant. Its not the 'water meter sound' when water is flowing I no that sound. This is a soft thump that is felt in the pipe and heard.

Oct 15, 2009, 08:39 PM

Do you have the pulsing/thumping all the time or just when water heating is heating? Do you have a pressure regulating valve. Pressure is to high.

Oct 16, 2009, 03:56 AM

No pressure regulator. I turned the power off to heater and makes no difference. And for some reason its not all the time, maybe a minute or two between when it happens then goes for maybe 20-30 secondes.

Oct 16, 2009, 03:03 PM

Any sign that the T&P valve on the water heater may be releasing. Regardless of what is causing the vibration/noise, you need to install pressure regulating valve and reduce the pressure.

Oct 16, 2009, 07:56 PM

T an p valve good. You guess regulator is on the to do list.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 09:27 PM

I think it's simple enough. It sounds either like a pop or roar that lasts maybe 20 seconds or so. The key is, it stops when you turn off the water to the hot water heater. It doesn't matter if it's electrically off or not.

It's overdue to remove the sediment from the tank. Occaisonaly bad things happen when it hasn't been done for a while like the sediment clogs the drain valve or the sediment passing scratches the seat of the drain.

Monthly, you should open the drain valve on the water heater and drain the sediment until it runs clear.

The problem is, you may effectively have rocks in your water heater because that's what the noise sounds like.

Another place that makes pulsing/thumping noises would actually be the main shut off seat or the cold water shut off to the hot water heater. Usually these noises occur at specific flow rates. Increasing or decreasing the water flow will make it stop.
    Also, in order for that noise to happen the pipes are probably not secure.

Oct 17, 2009, 08:45 AM

Interesting, couple months ago I checked the water pressure and it was at 70 psi and didn't notice my annoying thump/pulse, township apparently boosted the water pressure and didn't let anyone know, that would explain why my flexible washer lines blew.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2009, 09:07 AM

Yep, pressure regulator is on the to do list.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pulsing water sounds and low pressure [ 2 Answers ]

We have recently noticed that our water is making a pulsing sound, and if there is more than one faucet running, the water pressure is very low, what could be the problem? Can someone please help? Could this be the pressure regualator gone bad?

Constant, rhythmic pulsing water pressure [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Tom/Mark, We have a well system and have always had powerful smooth water pressure for the past 7 years but within the last 2 months we noticed the water constantly, and very rythmically pulses not matter where at in the home the water is turned on and it is every time the water is turned...

Water hammering, water arresters, big pipe flowing into small pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a water hammer (I'm guessing) problem in our house. All the pipes are under the house and it is a timber house so each time there is a water hammer noise it is extremely noisy. Basically any tap in the house is making the noise when turning on or off quickly with loud bangs. Cold...

Closet Flange in weird waste pipe [ 3 Answers ]

In the process of redoing basement bathroom (new tile, new sink, etc) and when I took off the toilet, the old closet bolts sheared off - nice and rusty. Those old bolts were put right into the concrete. I have everything cleaned up to put in a new closet flange (4" twist-n-set), but it turns out...

View more questions Search