Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ColemanF Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2009, 10:52 AM
    Adding another panel from a 200 amp service panel
    Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I have a 60 x 100 ft shop that has a 200 amp service fed in from the pole. Well I added a living space in the shop, which is about 720 sq ft. I plan on doing all the wiring myself and need a little advice on what kind of panel I should use? The living quarters will have baseboard heat, oven, dryer, entertainment center, water heater, etc. The panel will be about 30' away from the main lug panel. Could I just tap right into the main coming in from the pole and run it to another 200 amp box for my living quarters? Thanks a lot for all your help.
    PLoftin Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2009, 08:52 AM
    If you are talking about tapping off the input side of the existing 200 amp service, you would need to check to see what size load the cable from the meter could handle. I have never heard of anyone trying this and you may want to check with your local code office to see if there would be an issue. What you do after the meter yourself would be you taking on liability if there was an overload so do some local homework to see if code can allow this. I would not suggest tapping off the bus on the output of the 200 amp main (installing a 200 amp breaker in the 200 amp service connection with all your other breakers) as this would be more than the design of a 200 amp service could take.
    ColemanF Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2009, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. I just figured the lines coming off the pole could handle a couple 200 amp panels. The original panel is quite far from the apt that I built and instead of running wires so far, why not just tap in to the main line and install another panel. I would like to do a sub panel to be more by code, but I don't think that would be enough for all the electrical appliances.
    seanmkie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 11:23 AM

I would say just do a sub panel, unless in your shop you have a lot of applicances, machines, equipment etc.. That you are loading off the main 200 Amp service but it should be fine to run a sub panel that could handle what you will be loading in your apt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Updating service panel to 200 amp with feeder to 100 amp panel in old house [ 8 Answers ]

I currently in the process of converting 1000 sq ft of attached garage into living space while doing this we are updating electrical service to 200 amp new service, there is 100 amp service in the old part of the house which will remain but need to be sub paneled from the new 200 amp service. I...

Adding sub-panel to Main Panel [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently considering adding an ELECTRIC TANKLESS WATER HEATER. I have a 200 amp (ITE Load Panel G4040ML1200) with 37 of the 40 poles in use. The tankless water heater requires 4- 30amp breakers. My question is... how can I connect a 125 amp sub-panel to the main panel? Your comments are...

Max Amps in a Panel and adding a sub panel for more circuits [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I recently moved into a condo with a 200 amp panel (in my unit). The main panel is in the electrical room of the building and my unit was previously a commercial retail space. I did some remodeling and my panel is now full. The total combined amps of all the circuit breakers...

Adding New Service Panel [ 1 Answers ]

I have maxed out my existing Service Panel. I want to add a small additional panel approximately 30 feet away in more convenient, permanently unfinished portion of my basement. I have been told in need to run 6 gauge wire for this from my existing panel. Does anyone know if I need to run this...

Adding new sub panel box to exixting service [ 2 Answers ]

I need to run a new circuit to a new shop/garage that I just built. My plan was to add another sub-panel box beside my main service and then trench out to my shop with an underground service. I have a 200 amp main, in an all electric home, about 2500 sf total, the new shop is 720 sf. But will...

View more questions Search