Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilsis127 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 11:25 AM
    Mutualistic relationship
    I've tried to find something on this, but I keep coming up short. I think mutualism is when one thing is living off another, but it doesn't affect the other (like a bird nesting in a tree). First is that correct? And if so, what is a specific example of a mutualistic relationship in the african savanna?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 26, 2009, 11:24 AM

Mutualism is a situation where both organisms benefit. One good example is the clown fish and the sea anemone. The sea anemone provides shelter to the clown fish and the clown fish gives the sea anemone the leftovers of its meals.

One in the African Savanna... You may say about some birds and rhinos. The birds remove parasites from the rhino and in return the rhino protect the birds.
    mitchai Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2009, 06:40 AM

When you say MUTUALISM..
    It is when both organisms benefit.
    Both of them need each otherto survive..

FOR EXAMPLE:
    Butterfly and a flower..

-chai-
    Glaisne Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2009, 08:38 AM

Mutualism is a type of symbiosis. Symbiosis a close intimate relationship between two different organisms. There are different kinds of symbiotic relationships including parasitic, commensal, and mutualism.

Parasitism is a symbiotic relationship where one organism, the symbiont, benefits and the expense of the other, the host. There are many examples of this type of symbiosis in nature such a gut parasites like tape worms.

Commensalism is a symbiotic relationship where the symbiont benefits from the relationship and the host is neither harmed or benefits.

Mutualism is a symbiotic relationship where both organisms in the association benefit from the relationship. Mutualism is widespread and variable in nature. In other words though both organisms may benefit in a certain mutualistic association one may gain more of a benefit than the other. There are many famous examples of mutualism in nature including cleaner wrasses in coral reefs, pollination, lichens, and Mycorrhizal Fungi. One of the most famous examples of mutualism from Africa is between a giant fig tree and a tiny wasp. In fact the relationship is so close that neither the tree or the wasp can survive without the other. Learn more here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Relationship problems in 2nd week of relationship [ 5 Answers ]

I'm hoping I can get some meaningful advice on my situation. If not, I really don't know what to do. The whole summer, a girl I work with had been trying to hook me up with this friend of hers who was interested in me. I saw a picture of her, and she was cute.. But everyone is cute, so if I...

Why do I need to be in a relationship [ 13 Answers ]

It's been a while since I posted here. Nothing became of the girls I worried about, and I became stronger/worked on myself/moved on. Whenever I find myself in a situation where I have no girl "situations" to worry about, I find myself content. Yea, I really want to get married/have kids etc... But...

After a 4 year relationship I got tired of my relationship and broke up! What to do? [ 2 Answers ]

I’m a gay guy (36 yo) and I dated for 4 years this BI guy(40 yo), at the beginning it was a bit hard for me, I’m very comfortable with being gay! Came out 8 years ago, any way, at the beginning of the relationship I had to pretend in front of his friends that we were just friends, some times after...

Relationship [ 2 Answers ]

Hi My name is Joe, My problem is 3 months ago I met this girl. We have been so called dating ever since. We are both in our 30's. We see each other every day since we met. Shortly after we met she confided in me that she is bi polar. She has always sought help for her...

What relationship should I go for? [ 32 Answers ]

Hey all! As some of you possibly know I resently broke up with my girlfriend. No I just have one question. Many people here have told me to MOVE ON! And I have! :D Not to a new girl or anything yet but I will... in time :) But I dicided not to make any uneeded contact with her for a...

View more questions Search