Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dnasty57 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 12:58 PM
    my dog has been bleeding from his penis
    my dog has been bleeding from his penis for about a year now on and off obviously lol I orginaly took him to my vet and after about 350 dollars for urine test x-rays and stuck his finger up his butthole he told me he doesn't know what it is? Put him on antibiotics and he was fine up until 3 months ago where he has had this happen twice since each time I put him on the antibiotics the bleeding stops.. he continiously dips urine spots on my floor but the blood is only often, painful for him to walk at times as well... he also has very swollen glanes under his jaw and in the neck area? I do feel some swelling in the upper shaft area as well?? The vet recommends he be neutered which would help the hormons from swelling the prostate he may have? Does this make any sense and what should I do? What could be wrong after all these tests with no answers? He's a very loved but sick dog :( Zeus is a 7 year old blue nose pit bull... please someone give me some direction here?!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Dnasty, usually bleeding when urinating is a sign of a urinary tract infection (UTI). You say that the bleeding cleared up when on antibiotics, which leads me to assume that is what the vet thought it was. So many UTIs in such a short period is not a good sign. Like you, I too am concerned about the swelling of the glands & the prostate. If your vet cannot find anything wrong, I think it would be wise to search for another vet. This isn't something that can be easily diagnosed online. You might get a number of guesses from people, but you still won't have a definite answer and it appears your dog will need some sort of medical treatment. Something is most definitely wrong and if I were you, I wouldn't stop asking questions and I would insist on more testing until I had a definite answer. Once the vet is able to isolate the problem, then you need to discuss course of treatment. I do agree with the vet regarding the neutering when he was younger. It would have avoided the possibility that he may have developed testicular cancer. I truly hope that is not the case here.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2007, 02:23 PM
    The admintrators don't like us to respond privately to follow up questions because they want others to see all the responses to a question, so I hope you don't mind that I am answering here.

Quote Originally Posted by dnasty57
    you had mentioned at a younger age it might have prevented what is wrong now...but at this point is it worth having him neutered to prevent future increase in this problem??? that is what my vet is recomened at this point doesnt seem to make sense to me does it make sense to you? thanks for your time!
    What I said is IF he has testicular cancer, neutering him early on would have prevented it. I don't know if that is what is going on with him. I don't like the fact that his prostate and glands are enlarged. It is very worrisome to me and made me think immediately of prostate or testicular cancer. But, I am not a vet and I will not make that assumption.
    If your vet is recommending it at this point in time without diagnosing what is going on, I really do think you need to find a new vet. I can understand his suggesting it if he knew that your boy has testicular cancer, but from what you are saying, that is not the case here. You said he doesn't know what is going on. At your dog's age, he is not too old to be neutered, and my personal preference is to see all pets spayed and neutered. But, I would rather see a definite diagnosis as to what is going on prior to this surgery being performed. If there is something else entirely going on with him and it is not testicular cancer, whatever it is should be cleared up first, prior to neutering him.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2007, 02:59 PM
    Has your vet said anything about diet? In general I don't see suggesting what worked on another dog that helpful. However, it is common for to put a dog having repeated UTI's on a product such as Science C/D. This might be another reason to have a second vet look at him.
    thechictalker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2009, 04:58 PM
    Dnasty57...

My dog is 7 years old and has eveyrthing you just mentioned from the bleeding to the swollen glands.

What was the outcome? What happened ? Did you find an answer?

HELP!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 8, 2009, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thechictalker View Post
    Dnasty57...

My dog is 7 years old and has eveyrthing you just mentioned from the bleeding to the swollen glands.

What was the outcome? What happened ? Did you find an answer?

HELP!
    This thread is from 2007 and the OP never returned.

Please start your own thread. Also, check the dates before posting.

Thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 8, 2009, 06:47 PM

Closed, new posters, ahhhhhhh

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My penis is bleeding [ 13 Answers ]

Hi I'm 15 years of age and I went to the tolight and wiped my penis with some tissue paper and after it started to bleed quite a bit like I cut it I just wondered what are the risks of it becomign infected etc

My dog is bleeding [ 7 Answers ]

My chiwawa is bleeding when he poops and the last time he done this (once before) he almost died,so I need help because my grandparents can't afford to take him to the vet right now.I need tips or something please! *edit* Now it looks like he just puked blood...

Bleeding dog [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have a 1 year old pit bull and just around 2 weeks ago she started bleeding from her Virginia.She drips little drops of blood,but does not cry or act any different.Can you please tell me what's wrong with her.

My dog is bleeding too. [ 5 Answers ]

My Pit bull is also bleeding from the penial staff area. I have taken him to two vets, and niether can figure it out. I guarantee it has nothing to do with the diet of the dog. We have had xray's done, and the prostate, bladder, and colon all look OK. The vet even said that the prostate felt...

Bleeding from the penis [ 12 Answers ]

Hello. I was wondering if anyone knows why this happens? I took him to the vet and they did all kids of tests and still don't know why he bleeds. Its not a lot but its enough to scare me. I hope its not bad. Its only happened in the past 3 - 4 months, on and off. Thank you

View more questions Search