Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcp6649 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 08:32 AM
    Minimum Circuit Amps for 2 ton air handler with 5kw heat strip
    Hi all. I currently have a 30Amp breaker on 10 gauge wire for the air handler and heat strip. This was a new install and the local inspector seems to think that 30amps is not enough. I took a picture of the specs and uploaded below. What breaker/wire is needed to be in compliance? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Note: Heater Kit is HKR-05
    Attached Images

stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 12:38 PM
    Your local inspector is wrong. If he cannot tell that it very clearly states 30A circuit is appropriate then he needs to go back to inspector school. :rolleyes:

M.C.A. is minimum circuit ampacity. The minimum size the circuit can be.
    M.O.P. is maximum overcurrent protection. The maximum overcurrent (breaker or fuse) that can be placed on the circuit.
    jcp6649 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Your local inspector is wrong. If he cannot tell that it very clearly states 30A circuit is appropriate then he needs to go back to inspector school. :rolleyes:

M.C.A. is minimum circuit ampacity. The minimum size the circuit can be.
    M.O.P. is maximum overcurrent protection. The maximum overcurrent (breaker or fuse) that can be placed on the circuit.

Much Obliged for the quick response!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to measure amps on 240 circuit [ 3 Answers ]

Using an Ideal 600 AAC Clamp Meter at the breaker box, do I measure both leads from the box and add them to learn the amps the motor is using? Each lead says 4.5 amps, so motor uses 9 amps? (The motor says 6.3 amps at 230 volts, but we have 240.)

Heat strip ina air handler [ 2 Answers ]

Where does the heat strip go in a air handler unit is. It in with the blower system

Optimum Point for Strip Heat vs. Heat Pump [ 1 Answers ]

My heat pump has electric heat strips for emergency and auxiliary heat. My thermostat is designed to call for strip heat if there is more than a 2 degree difference between the set point and the ambient temperature in the room. It's clear that the efficiency of a heat pump decreases as the...

Heat strip not working on my goodman heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

Heat strip not working on my goodman heat pump

WATTS supported by amps in a circuit [ 9 Answers ]

How Many Watts Can A 20 A Circuit Safely Carry?

View more questions Search