Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vickimarie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 09:58 PM
    20 year old daughter what is reasonable curfew
    Hi I am new here. This looks like a great place to come to commiserate or to learn from other parents. Today I wanted to ask what is a reasonable hour that a 20 year old should be home. She is on summer break now. She thinks coming in at 2 or 3 is acceptable since most of her friends work at restaurants and don't get out of work until 10:00 or 11:00 nightly. They go to each others houses. Last night she said that some boys kept walking by where she was sitting, throwing white dust on her. It was kind of grainy. She said she had trouble swallowing after that. She is out again tonight at someone's house and said not to expect her home until 2:00. Should I make some boundaries or is it too late? Thank you so much for any thoughts you have. vickimarie
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

May 15, 2007, 10:05 PM
    It is your house, so you have to lay the rules out flat. If you feel an 11 pm curfew is fair, then that is the way it is. She is not a child, but an adult living under her parents' roof. You need to make it clear what is acceptable and what is not. I feel I would set a limit of midnight for any adult planning to stay at my home. For someone immature or someone who brought friends, I'd go earlier. At the end of the day, she is living in your home, and the person with the ultimate right and ultimate responsibility is YOU. So only you can decide what is appropriate. I say put the guidelines out there, and be willing to send her packing if she doesn't have a REALLY good reason for abiding by them.
    alkaline Posts: 61, Reputation: 20

May 15, 2007, 10:12 PM
    I remember having similar issues with my parents when I was in high school and college over curfews.

I personally think that at 20 years old she should be mature enough and responsible enough to stay out until 2 or 3 am. You didn't indicate that she was out doing anything dangerous or harmful while she is out. Also, remember that you can still get into plenty of trouble at any hour of the day if that is what you are looking to do.

I also worked in restaurants, and so did my friends. By the time we got off work it was 11 or 12, but we were wound up and wanted to hang out and have fun.

I don't think you need to come down on her or set a specific curfew if she isn't doing anything bad. It sounds to me like she just wants to spend the time she can being with her friends and having fun.

At 20 years old, she is a young woman. Soon she'll be living on her own, and she needs to start learning to be responsible and make good choices for herself and not because she is being told to.

I hope this helps. And though it may be hard to believe (I know my parents were skeptical and it caused a lot of fighting), just because she is out late doesn't mean she is doing something bad. If it will ease your mind, ask her to get a cell phone if she doesn't have one so you can call her if you get worried.

Good luck!
    krystal1973 Posts: 100, Reputation: 22

May 15, 2007, 10:21 PM
    Hello, What are the circumstances that your daughter is living with you? Is it an agreement that you have or is there some other reason.
    You mentioned that some guys were throwing white powder on her. Maybe you should set down and talk to her more about this. There has to more to this story, could you elaborate on it? If you or she thinks that they were throwing drugs or something on her, (I don't know of anyone who throws elicit drugs around as they are very expensive, unless you are thinking of something else maybe, what else could it have been?)
    Curfews are for minors, but maybe its more acceptable to ask her to come home at a respectable hour, as you sound like you are waiting up for her) Is the time she is coming home a problem or what you think she may be doing while she is gone?
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

May 15, 2007, 10:24 PM
    I disagree. There is an amount of respect that is due to anyone who is housing you, and a curfew is one. Coming and going at all hours is disruptive and worrying. If this 20 year old wants to do as she pleases, she should rent her own place.

May 15, 2007, 10:33 PM
    My daughter lives with my husband and I while she is attending community college. If she wants to she can go to a four year college we have already promised we will cover costs. We gave her a safe car to get to and from school.She changed friends almost weekly. She is petite and very pretty. She drives to parties alone where she meets up with friends. She has to negotiate dark winding country roads. She loves her car and is a careful driver. She drives alone because she is independent. She said in the other room that were cooking the white stuff.

May 15, 2007, 10:38 PM
    Thanks to everyone for the kind advice I appreciate it and all of you. She is still not home but I must go to work at 7 so will try and get a little sleep. Thank you so much I am so glad you were up and willing to help me . vickimarie
    krystal1973 Posts: 100, Reputation: 22

May 15, 2007, 10:51 PM
    Well I don't mean that she doesn't need to come home at a decent time, I just meant a set curfew will make her feel juvenile. But yes she does need to go by your rules, if you have them for her.
    The only white thing I can think of someone cooking is meth. But I think its actually kind of clear. Her having different friends from week to week would make me wonder.
    If you have to work early mornings she doesn't need to keep you up worrying, you should tell her how you feel, and just ask her to come home in time for you to get to sleep or tell her to stay in one place. It doesn't sound like she is really hanging around the right people, but maybe you should just try talking to her about it first.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2007, 11:40 PM
    If you are providing her with a vehicle and a roof over her head as well as her education you have the right to ask her to come in at a respectable hour. Does she not work?? If not, she should!

Quite frankly I get bad vibes from your post. You can't run her life for her, but, if she was boarding in someone else's home I am sure they wouldn't put up with her coming in at 2 or 3 in the morning. I also wonder if her story about the boys throwing white powder on her is a cry for help and control. Apparently, she is still having trouble controlling her own life right now.

I would approach this with love, care and concern while at the same time asserting your need for respect. Tell her that if she opts to work and move out, you will support her decision, but as long as you are supporting her financially, she needs to abide by your rules.

Good luck! I sure do hope this helps.

Hugs, Didi
    MicheleEB Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

May 16, 2007, 10:57 AM
    This seems like a tough one because she is an adult and yet she lives in your house. My baby sister lived with our parents until she was married at 24. And I know that there were times that she was out all hours of the night, but as a general rule she was usually home at a decent hour. But if she is a student when does she have time to study?? What about just telling her why you don't want her coming home at 2am? Although I do understand how restaurant work is and if she and her friends don't get off work until midnight then it may feel like 5pm to them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2007, 11:12 AM
    Well again this is tough, it is your house and you can have house rules, but after all of my boys reached 18, I set it as 2 pm on weekends and 12 during the week. They were allowed to stay out all night of course if they merely told me, since they were adults.
    Lacey5765 Posts: 157, Reputation: 50

May 20, 2007, 07:31 PM
    I am in a similar situation with a 19 yo home for the summer. We talked when she first got home about our rules and did not set a curfew but discuss each event and what time she feels she will be home. I still ask her to check in occasionally and to call when she is leaving a friends house so I know when to expect her. I explained that while I know she she came and went as she pleased in the dorm, that while home I feel responsible for her safety. SInce I don't sleep well until she is home we agreed that when she arrives she will wake me and let me know she is home so I can sleep sound. Hope this helps.
    elianar88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkaline View Post
    I remember having similar issues with my parents when I was in highschool and college over curfews.

I personally think that at 20 years old she should be mature enough and responsible enough to stay out until 2 or 3 am. You didn't indicate that she was out doing anything dangerous or harmful while she is out. Also, remember that you can still get into plenty of trouble at any hour of the day if that is what you are looking to do.
    OH MY GOD... I am a twenty year old daughter of parents who are WAY over protective. I was at a party recently (4 days ago actually) and I left my house at 10 pm with my fiancé that I'm going to marry in September, I told my parents I was going to a party at some of my fiance's friends house. They asked me what time I would be home, I told them I didn't know. They stared at me like I was crazy and it freaking annoys the hell out of me.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself, and then you decide if coming home at 5 in the morning is OK (important:: this is the first time in 2 months that I come home after midnight). I go to UNLV, I am a full time student right now doing summer classes. I am almost done with my bachelors degree, maintaining a steady 3.4 GPA, and obviously not missing any homework assignments or ditching classes. I work at the family business- the Alien Fresh Jerky store in Baker, California EVERY weekend (we live in las vegas). I am about to get married, so I have all my wedding plans going and for those of you who are parents, I'm sure you understand the situation I am in because I assume you are married and had to go through all that wedding planning too, and it is so aggravating when ONE thing goes wrong.. I was a confirmation teacher until April of this year going once a week for 2 hours (its a catholic class). The last time I got together with any of my friends like for a birthday or anything was last year for my birthday in August. I have 2 younger siblings and one older. My youngest little brother is 11 years old, and yes, I take the time sometimes to go look at his pet turtle and tease him about why he got such a slow animal, but I also talk to the turtle because every time it gets asked a question it seems to understand and nod its head.. lol. I also play videogames with him, and watch all his cool little pivot game things that he does on the computer- he's getting better at it too! So, I'm a good sister, right? OK, so I don't want to go into too much more detail, so that's the short little biography of me.

Now you tell me, am I MATURE enough to know what time to come home, to know if a party is not good for me then I can leave? My parents KNEW I was going to that party with my fiancé, they KNOW he's going to marry me, so OBVIOUSLY he MUST care about me a lot... am I just overreacting? I feel they are WAY overprotective of me. They said I need to be 21 to be able to do whatever I want; I don't think so, I think that a number does not matter, I think you have to look at the person and the decisions she makes and judge on the maturity of them to help you decide what age is appropriate.

It was a really cool party, we listened to some music, played some beer pong (I actually played with smirnoff because I don't like beer), met some cool people and even invited one of them to the wedding (she's been a friend of my fiance's for a while now, she just wasn't on the list yet, but now she is!) I was having fun... until my dad called me at 4 and ORDERED me to come home and to tell him where I was (which I had already told him I was at a friends of my fiance's) and that I was not yet 21.

If you email me your responses that would be great.

Parents, Please, just look at your child and his/her life and THEN decide what time (IF ANY) to give them as curfew, don't let your children hate you for making them leave a fun party early. If your worry is that they will get into drugs- make them take a drug test as soon as they get home! I heard you can buy them at walgreens.. that's what my fiancé suggests we do to our kids someday.

MATURITY is NOT an age. Maturity is making choices that will affect your life in a positive way.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2009, 06:49 AM

I agree with a lenient curfew. My daughter would come home at all hours of the night or the next morning and I almost always had knots in my stomach worrying and not being able to fall asleep.
    I even think it is just plain common curtesy for ANY family member to let the other members of your family under your roof have a general idea of what your doing. I even hate it when my boyfriend just walks out the door and I have no idea where he went or when he is coming back.

The way I see it is if they are just out hanging around or whatever 11 or midnight should be good and if they want to stay out later they should call and let you know.
    If they have something special they want to go to that is going on after midnight then add about an hour or two onto the time it is over.
    ryans2fast4u Posts: 48, Reputation: 8

Jun 16, 2009, 08:13 AM

This is tough.

Helicopter parenting is destroying generation Y. It is proven that Gen Y is unable to hold jobs, unable to plan for their future, unable to save, and unable to be self sufficient. One of these reasons is that for some reason their parents are all overprotective, do everything for them, set all the ground rules, and do not allow them to be self sufficient.

Children need to slowly grow up. There are a few things in here that worry me. One thing that worries me is I don't think she's being straightforward with you as to "whats going on". At the same time I don't think she's getting in trouble. I have to venture to guess that she doesn't feel comfortable communicating honestly with you.

Ground rules are acceptable- but don't set the ground rules. Some people on here have said "its your house- your rules"- no, its your duty as a parent to help your daughter grow. She's not magically an adult at age 18- nothing magic happens on that day- maturity and age do not coincide perfectly.

So sit down with her and decide together at the ground rules. Now you have rules, you hae requirements, you both know what expectations are, but she's not being babied.

Consider other options- in High school, my friends all went out until 2/3 AM. My parents would not allow that, but what they did allow is that I could have friends OVER until 2/3 AM. Now I had 8-10 people over frequently. My parents would pop down with drinks or snacks occaisonally to "check" on us, but we never did anything wrong- never drank, no drugs, nothing. Not only did it help me, I helped keep those 8-10 others out of trouble too.

I'm not saying that's what you should do, but don't hesitate to think outside of the box. Work together with your daughter to help her grow and learn to be self sufficient. Give her some say in the matter, but come together to reach an agreement. She needs you!
    jane2323 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 11:45 PM
    Well I'm 24 my brother is 23... I moved back home with my parents because my salary got cut plus I live in southern California... I contribte to my paents household pay my own bills and working to move out ASAP... I hated having to come back home but had no choice (what was I suppose to do, sleep in car?) If your child isn't getting in trouble, you know her friends and their parents and IF she's responsible, tell her, let her know that as long as she isn't doing dumb things like ( sleeping round in your house, making lots of noise when she comes home, and lets you knows who she's wit and where) then your cool about her hanging out... trust me... I had way more respect for my parents house and there wishes and as long as they didn't smother me or trip f I went to a party that ened at two and I got in the house at 330... who cares as long as she's taking care of her business, not in trouble or having babies then stop worrying and let her live her life...
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Oct 2, 2009, 06:56 PM
    Most people in their early 20s go through the staying out until 4 in the morning phase and most outgrow it by their mid to late 20s once age and responsibility kicks in.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2009, 05:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    Most people in their early 20s go through the staying out until 4 in the morning phase and most outgrow it by their mid to late 20s once age and responsibility kicks in.
    Wow... I know this thread is old but a curfew at 20... seriously?

I had moved out at the age of 19, how is she ever going to learn how to become a responsible adult if she has to rely on "mummy" to tell her how to do everything.
    The only thing my parents requested was a courtesy call so they knew that I was OK if I was going out into town, if I was at a friends house they trusted me enough to make my own judgements.
    lonelygirl111 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 11:27 AM

Hey I'm 20years old. I think aslong as you have a mature daughter, it would be a good idea for her to be home at around 230 or 3. depending when the bars close in your town. Anything later than that is trouble lol.
    omgtoast Posts: 27, Reputation: 3

Oct 14, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Old Topics, WOOT.

When an adult child is living with their parents, two things need to be remembered: #1, the parents own the house. #2, the "child" is not a child, and should not be so treated.
    As the owner of the house, it is perfectly reasonable to create rules. As an adult, it is perfectly reasonable to come home as you please. As an adult, however, it is expected that you respect the rules and the people with whom you cohabit.

My friends seemed to think that my parents never laid down any rules in their house; they would be so wrong. My parents had rules. They also let us debate them as we got older. By the time I was 16, my parents pretty much let me set my own limits because they trusted me to make reasonable decisions. I was allowed to stay out as long as I'd like because I understood the consequences of not making it home in time to sleep and wake up to go to school or work (Mommie was NOT my alarmclock.) I understood the consequences of leaving the house without my cellphone (the consequence being my dad would call my friend's phone to find me, and then pick me up to go home at 8pm for bedtime. Awkwardddd.) I understood the consequence of not telling my parents where I expected to be and how late I would be out (my mother nonchalantly told me one day that if she ever wondered where I was, she would pretend she was in a panic and call the cops. I don't know if she was joking... Awkwardddddd.)

Bottom line was, as long as I didn't give my parents a reason to go "crazy", they wouldn't. Sounds fair to me.

My parent's don't ask me where I'm going or how late, usually, but it's an unwritten mandatory rule that I tell them when I am out of state or going into the city-- yes, even today while I own my own house, haha.

One of my friends who still lives with her mother has to wake her mother up and say good night before she goes to bed, just so that she knows she's arrived home safely. If I was still living at home and my parents asked me to do that, that doesn't sound unreasonable. It's also reasonable to say before she goes out for the night, "Good bye, I'll be home at X o'clock." Then, either come home when she says she will, or call to check in if the ETA home changes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 16 year-old daughter. [ 10 Answers ]

This is my first post and I am a little nervous about it. Here is my situation: I am a single mom of 2 girls, they are 13 and 16. I was 17 when I had the first one and have never been mother of the year. I was not an awful mother mind you, it's just that I was very young and had lots of growing...

My 6 year old daughter [ 10 Answers ]

I don't really know how to start this topic as its all very confusing. I am stepmother to a 6 year old girl. When I met her dad he had full custody of both his children(the other is 4) their mother after having their youngest started taking drugs and drinking. It turned out that she has border line...

20 year old daughter [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter is 20 years old and lives at home. She is in university, 3rd year. We pay for her university, books, food, etc. She is a good student has always worked and pays for her extras. (clothes, going out with friends, and savings.) She is always been a great daughter and her father and I...

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father has not seen her in over a year. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father left me when she was 5 months old and the last time he saw her was 2 weeks before Christmas 2006, he and I were never married. He knows where she is and how to get ahold of me and see her, but has failed in trying to contact me or see her. I do not have a...

15 year old Daughter [ 2 Answers ]

My 15 year old Daughter who lives with my Ex wife, recently (Last 14 weeks) she wants nothing to do with me, she will not speak to me or when she does it is an offhanded manor. I keep leaving messages on the telephone with no reply, I have asked if I have done anything wrong still no reply. I...

View more questions Search