Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 2, 2009, 12:45 PM

Privacy is cool, beating yourself up is not, gives me headaches.
    vanheart Posts: 2,806, Reputation: 708
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2009, 08:41 PM

Lets split an aspirin then.
    taoplr Posts: 415, Reputation: 144

Oct 4, 2009, 10:20 PM
    Van

Go to Brain, Mind, Consciousness and Learning and watch the talk by Dan Gilbert about being happy.

Tao

Oct 4, 2009, 10:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by taoplr View Post
    Van

Go to Brain, Mind, Consciousness and Learning and watch the talk by Dan Gilbert about being happy.

tao
    Also found at: Dan Gilbert asks, Why are we happy? | Video on TED.com
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2009, 10:57 AM

Thanks, Tao.
    That was great.
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2009, 08:22 PM

Tao, you have a knack for understanding the process & where everyone is at.

I appreciate that.

For me, what's has been so hard is to let those big triggers not crush or detain me & stop dwelling and get on with being happy again.

The rejection, and wondering if she realizes what she's done. Anything? Put her in my shoes & me in hers.

Both answers that I already have. Way before 4 months.

That doesn't matter, other than the road. One thing that I didn't realize truly and still haven't practiced fully about NC is that, that person is gone from your physical existence, now its on you to deal with that.

Sounds all good, until... well. Everyone, I guess everyone takes there own time. Sorry Ive taken so long to make the turns.

Its getting easier. The more I really understand and be on it. Like I was before. But better.

I was fighting the clock so hard to get over this that sometimes I didn't stop and truly let it be. Take those deep breaths.

No comparing anymore.

Thanks.
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2009, 09:54 PM

Some may have read this before, but found it in my in box tonight looking for an email.

It's a good one...

"The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings
    but shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend
    more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger
    houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have
    more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more
    experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too
    little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too
    tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk
    too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years
    to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and
    back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We
    conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things,
    but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the
    atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan
    more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We
    build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies
    than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and
    small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are
    the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken
    homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway
    morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do
    everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is
    much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when
    technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can
    choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete...

Remember; spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not
    going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe,
    because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is
    the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a
    cent.

Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones,
    but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it
    comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person
    will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the
    precious thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
    moments that take our breath away."

Cheers, van.

Oct 5, 2009, 10:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vanheart View Post
    Tao, you have a knack for understanding the process & where everyone is at.

I appreciate that.

For me, whats has been so hard is to let those big triggers not crush or detain me & stop dwelling and get on with being happy again.

The rejection, and wondering if she realizes what shes done. Anything? Put her in my shoes & me in hers.

Both answers that I already have. Way before 4 months.

That doesnt matter, other than the road. One thing that I didnt realize truly and still havent practiced fully about NC is that, that person is gone from your physical existence, now its on you to deal with that.

Sounds all good, until...well. Everyone, I guess everyone takes there own time. Sorry Ive taken so long to make the turns.

Its getting easier. The more I really understand and be on it. Like I was before. But better.

I was fighting the clock so hard to get over this that sometimes I didnt stop and truly let it be. Take those deep breaths.

No comparing anymore.

Thanks.
    I just saw your last post. Cool statement.

Don't be sorry, Van. I don't think that anyone on this thread has any expectations for you; you can't disappoint.

You've got the formula: experience what is. Personally, I like the discovery of inner selves, unconscious patterns, ways some part of me is making things happen without my knowing. Then, I get to wake up and make conscious choices. Your way is unique to you, mine to me.

You explored some parts of your mind. You let this whole thing do something positive in you. So you're better for it. Maybe it's time to stop trying to stop the pain and, as you say, "truly let it be."

Tao
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2009, 10:36 PM

Thanks, I like those things too. Every day..
    Its time.

Oct 5, 2009, 10:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vanheart View Post
    Thanks, I like those things too. Every day..
    Its time.
    Let it happen, dude.
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2009, 10:51 PM

I am, thanks.
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2009, 05:18 PM

Hey all,

This week marks 5 months of complete NC. Yup, still counting.

I just wanted to thank everyone here for their support & commitment.

Not anything specific to report.

Ive had a few pretty low days & some fulfilling ones. There still isn't a day goes by that this doesn't affect me in one way or another. She is still on my mind. I wish it was more fleeting at this point, but not denying that 5 years is a long time to remove what has become part of my life and daily commitment.

I try to keep the loneliness as bay and try to further understand.

I try not to equate this as a mistake of loving the wrong person or to place blame. Not to say a person is good or evil. To become more in tune and realize who I wish to be close to & recognize what feels good. And let others recognize my goodness unconditionally.

Believe me, I still have moments and downfalls, but I am glad that I removed any further unnecessary drama. I feel sorry at times that this also involves friends and contacts. Some people don't understand that position.

I miss having a woman in my life, but my focus has helped understand the difference between need vs true companionship.

The stings of abuse, selfishness, cowardness and disregard still are present, but I try let them help me move on.

My friends have been amazing and all of you are included when I say that.

With love & thanks. On to the 6th month of NC.

Van
    Reactor Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2009, 05:47 PM

Virtual cheers van.

Personally, had a real rough day a few days back, but like you said, roll with the punches, and, importantly:

"my focus has helped understand the difference between need vs true companionship."

Yep.
    JustLaw Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Oct 25, 2009, 06:03 PM

Van you are remarkable!
    paxe Posts: 793, Reputation: 158

Oct 25, 2009, 07:38 PM

Nice! I love to see when people get better with time, it just shows what we can if we put our head into it.

That's actually great, continue taking care of yourself and if you feel any down, let us know we are always here to support you.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 25, 2009, 07:49 PM

Your attitude has made my day. Go for 6; and happiness.
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2009, 09:16 PM

Ya know,

Was thinking about all of those clichés, I use to pass over.

"Parting is such sweet sorrow".

Its true. For me, anyway.

Awareness and spirit, written between the lines, for those who choose to listen.

Thanks.
    jmw0713 Posts: 1,012, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 09:14 PM

Dude, you are so right. Keep going and never look back!! The future is bright for both of us and we all will find someone that truly deserves out love and commitment.
    supermannnnnn Posts: 62, Reputation: 9

Nov 5, 2009, 06:13 PM

VAN , VAN , VAN!! Listen to me. Stop anticipating " WHAT IF " she comes back or " HOW CAN I GET HER BACK ". MOVE ON! Because after reading a few of your last posts, it seems like she's still very much on your mind! Even after 4, 5 months! That's a long time!

VANHEART! STOP COUNTING THE MONTHS! Sorry for sounding harsh but be a man! I been through this road once and was heartbroken. I know it hurts. I really do. It feels like your heart falls to your stomach and stays there. That's when I applied the rules below and moved on and turned into a DIFFERENT, STRONGER MAN. Its hard but a man got to do what a man got to do.

#1) ITS OVER! No going back! Do not talk to her anymore. No matter what. Including ALL OF HER FRIENDS. If she calls you, be unavailable. Do not see her anymore. When she said she needed time and wanted to be single, she was putting you on the back burner, while looking for a new prospect. Woman are smart creatures, lets be smarter... Do not be used... Do not be a good man to her anymore. She doesn't want it! She doesn't deserve it! Save that good man for a good woman. You will find one, trust me. Love goes BOTH WAYS. Not one way. Do not disrespect yourself the way she is. She is shady! You are a MAN!

#2) No contact, no contact, no contact. I guess you already know that. Its already been 5 months, so it shouldn't be as bad.

#3) Get rid of everything that reminds you of her. All her pictures, letters, gifts ( sell the expensive ones ) HAHAHA, anything. She never existed! F*** HER! Learn to hate her! She was probably screwing another man while keeping you on the back burner and coming to you for Emotional support when that other man wasn't around. How selfish! What do you think now?? Still love her? You do not deserve that. You deserve a woman who will love you when your at your best and at your worst! And you will find that...

#4) Always keep busy. Better yourself. Buy some new clothes. Exercise!! Exercise!! Better YOURSELF! SWEAT to release natural, feel good hormones. Exercise as much as your heart hurts! Find a new hobby. Fix your car. Lift weights. Do push ups. You will feel good about yourself that way. Join a club. Martial Arts, Art Class, Dance class, meet new people, go clubbing, Anything!

#5) You must follow rule #4. Its imperative IMO because one day in the future, when she, her friends, or mutual friends, ever sees you again, she will see what she missed, THE NEW YOU and she will want you back. By then, you are already a changed man and will not want a shady, piece of crap like that.

You can do it VAN!
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2009, 04:09 AM

Had a nice revelation tonight.
    Ran into my ex's close friends. At a restaurant.

Ones we hung with, & ones my ex has a history with, The girl she went traveling with & go married this summer...

Was quick & weird. I gave hugs, made a 10 second hello. Then booked inside. (They were leaving, I was coming in)

First time since the breakup. 5 months of NC & being invisible to that crap.

I had a moment. Then it was actually perfect, cause I don't really care about her or them. Glad that happened actually. Gave me a good reminder of you and what I care about.

Not even sure exactly what I said. "Im ok," then "later" basically.

I was wondering when that would happen. & I handled it in my usual cool self. Aloof, as if I could care... No time for you.

So glad to be away from her & those people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend tells me she loves me, yet she wants a break or breakup? [ 13 Answers ]

Hey guys, My girlfriend is telling me she wants a break to see if she if I am the one. We're young, I don't plan on marriage for a while (we're 20) and I just don't understand her idea of couples needing to split up for a while to see if they are the one. She says this is for "us" but I'm...

My girlfriend breakup with me but she wants to be friend [ 20 Answers ]

HI!! I am new to the website... I have a girlfriend and we are together for almost 5 months, and we both love each other very much... one day someone told her parents about our affair... and her parents don't want their daughter to be in any affair, and her dad got an attack when she argue on...

4 years and a breakup [ 38 Answers ]

Me and my X met at our first jobs when I was 24 and she was 22. She began chasing me at work and having her friends come to my desk to ask if I was interested in her. I always said no and I wasn’t looking to get into a relationship. After about a month of this nonstop badgering of me, I gave in and...

Girlfriend loves me, I have done nothing wrong, but she wants a breakup? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, all. Ceph here. First post, just throwing that out there... Well, my girlfriend of 3 years has recently (say, in the past few months) decided that she felt we shouldn't be together. I asked her what was wrong, and she said, "Nothing." She told me that I didn't do anything wrong, and...

Girlfriend of five years [ 15 Answers ]

I've been with my girlfriend for five years now and it has moved slowly. She has always been a good girl which is fine by me but I can't understand why after five years she still has a curfew with me and we're limited to just a few things we can do. Her parents make sure they know exactly where we...

View more questions Search